DVDVR Message Board

Destiny

Big Fresh

Tonight is the night! I'm debating taking off tomorrow which I've never done for a game but it's hard to get a lot of playing time in with little ones.  The game is already downloaded and ready to go.  I've read conflicting reports about the availability of the game for digital purchases.  One site said the game will be available to play at midnight tonight on the west coast, 3am on east coast.  Another site said as of 8am servers are up and running and twitch is streaming now.  Another said the game would be available at 10pm tonight. 

I have Wednesday off but unfortunately it is because my girlfriend is suing her former tenants and I am a witness.   I need to get a good night's sleep tomorrow night.  

I will probably pick up a copy for 360 sometime this weekend.

I also want a space tiger that I will name Bubastis.

I think I would lose my shit if we got pets.   Since I am going to play an Exo, I want a robot panther with missles on his hips.

decepticon_ravage.jpg

• Like 1

Fucking shit. So, apparently regardless of when you get the game, if you're on the East Coast, or on EST, you're fucked until 3 AM tomorrow. Even worse if you preloaded a digital version.

Yep.  Official launch time is Midnight PST so EST cannot get a jump on the action.  

This is what happens when you have a continental infrastructure instead of a regional infrastructure.

When this bitch goes live, all of North America is probably going to get lumped into one server cluster servicing the entire region.  It won't be layered by time zone..  Everyone from Canada to Brazil is going to be hammering the bandwidth all at the same time.

I have been a part of enough federated distributed computer training exercises to know that the Destiny launch is going be a painful birth to an ugly baby.  The kid will get better looking as it matures, but I woudn't even bother trying to play Destiny until the weekend.  At least by then, the ratio of players registering to players playing should be better.

The Destiny Fubar pool here at work gives this game about a two weeks before the first hotfixes come out and that is being conservative.

So yeah, I read somewhere the Destiny servers came online at 7am as well. It would make sense, it's probably after midnight in Japan or something, I'm not even going to Fuck around with math and timezones right now, as I've had about 3 hours of sleep and 1 sip of coffee.

This should maybe get posted in the son of a ! Thread, but I just checked tracking on my ghost edition, and ups still hasn't received the shipment, 9 hours after it shipped. Now, before I start freaking the fuck out, I'm going to try and give it some time, maybe ups does have it, and they just haven't scanned it in because it's on the back of a truck somewhere in Ohio or Kentucky.

Come on Amazon, now isn't the time for you fuck-uppery. You could do that on every other package I've ordered this year, not this one that's irreplaceable.

Yeah, I read that the servers are up and that people are streaming the game on twitch already.  Not sure if it's going to be available yet though when I get home.  The game had already downloaded for me this weekend so on the main bar it had the icon for the game with a counting timer and the time coincided with midnight tonight so I'd guess that it won't be available to me until midnight tonight based on that.  We will see.  I'm looking forward to it but like J.T. said, I fully expect a lot of shit to be broken and unavailable based on the amount of people trying to get in these servers at the same time. 

Getting my reserved copy at Best Buy before work Tuesday, so when i get home at 0200 Wednesday morning, i will prob set up to install and then goto bed and play when i get up.

I am going to try to get a copy sometime this weekend when i am up in Maryland.  If I succeed, I probably won't touch it until next Monday, though.

You are going to be onea those Elf Warlock thingies right?  Don't get too far ahead because we are going to have to drag Rippa kicking and screaming to victory once he's on board.

I know that Moongirl, Amy, Soul Reaper, and Skittles from the GTA5 360 crew are getting Destiny but I am not sure who they are going to game with.   Moongirl mostly games with her COD unit and 90% of them live in or near Los Angeles.  Skittles and the other ladies have friends closer to their own timezone. 

Skittles is also a Cali girl (San Diego, i think) and Amy / Soul Reaper are roomies somewhere in the Midwest.

Mine is done pre-loading as well, but all I have is a timer showing me that there's 16+ hours to go. I have a feeling that if you have a physical copy of the disc, you can install and start playing.

Getting my reserved copy at Best Buy before work Tuesday, so when i get home at 0200 Wednesday morning, i will prob set up to install and then goto bed and play when i get up.

I am going to try to get a copy sometime this weekend when i am up in Maryland.  If I succeed, I probably won't touch it until next Monday, though.

You are going to be onea those Elf Warlock thingies right?  Don't get too far ahead because we are going to have to drag Rippa kicking and screaming to victory once he's on board.

I presume i will play the same race/class that i did during the Beta.

I doubt i play that much this week, as it's my five-day week at work.

Servers went Live for Australia about 50 minutes ago, according to the Destiny official Facebook page

Aussies are roughly the same time zone as most of Asia (at leas on the west coast where most of the major Aussie cities are is in that time zone), so that would be a 9/9 midnight launch for them more or less.

Europe will launch before North America borroiwng catastrophe.

Yeah I just watched some gameplay on twitch and the people playing are from Australia and New Zealand mainly and game websites.

Seems like all servers are up and running, so if you get a physical copy of the game you can play it whenever. Digital download will be available based on time zone. So 3am here on the east coast. Not as if I was going to be up at midnight waiting to play anyway.

• Like 1

So 3am here on the east coast. Not as if I was going to be up at midnight waiting to play anyway.

If I am smart, I will resist temptation and just wait until the weekend.

In keeping with the Hand of Zeus motif of our Group Forum, I have changed the Group Motto to something a little more thematic.  It is a quote from the Art of War.,

• Like 1

I'm a glutton for punishment so I'll fully get on as soon as I can and subsequently be pissed off and yell at my tv at all the things broken with the game and the servers that will ultimately crash. 

Edit: also requested to join the dvdr group yesterday

• Like 1

Expect the worst, hope for the best. I get it. However, Bungie has a pretty good track record. They know the pre-order numbers, they know what to expect here. They've had about 6 weeks to prepare for this.

I've heard there will be an immediate update for the game, and I've already been hit with an xbl update over the weekend. I'm sure there will be a hiccup here and there, but c'mon it's not like we are talking about rockstar, infinity ward, or treyarch

PS4 here.

Misanthrope- you might be right.  Bungie has been dealing with this sort of thing for a long time so there might not be any hiccups.  I just think back to some Call of Duty launches and issues that have happened with those but now that I think about it the last couple seemed smooth unless I'm misremembering shit.  On the update file, I can confirm there is an update file because an update file has already downloaded for me on the digital pre-order. 

• Like 2

I've heard there will be an immediate update for the game, and I've already been hit with an xbl update over the weekend. I'm sure there will be a hiccup here and there, but c'mon it's not like we are talking about rockstar, infinity ward, or treyarch

True.

I hope that Bungie learned a lot from the Beta testing, but they are about to experience bandwitdth issues of epic proportions.  Bungie has plenty experience with co-op and deathmatch multiplayer, but they are graduating to a whole new level now that they are going to be managing persistant environments with constant client connectons. 

That shit is a different world. 

Deathmatchers are a transient bunch that is pretty easy to please.   MMOHeads are going to live on those servers and their customer service expectations are going to be top shelf.

GTA: Online is proof positive that some companies simply don't have the corporate mentality to manage MMO gameplay.  If Blizzard was as laissez-faire as Rockstar is with hotfixes and patches, WoW would've bit the dust years ago.