DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics - 2024

The Hand on earth 6160 are known as H.A.N.D. Agents.  They are like Agent Smith from the Matrix and his duplicates but digitized grey faces. 

The Ultimates are Terrorists/Freedom Fighters. The Jim Hammond Human Torch joins them. Few more are expected to join the Ultimates in the future.

From the flash foward, the USA is confirmed not to exist as a country, but we already knew that from looking at the maps.

So a lot of spicy news about the X-Men dropped this week owing primarily to an exit interview on the X-Books done by outgoing group editor Jordan White with AIPT, but also supplemented by Tom Brevoort on his Substack. 

Firstly, this may be conjecture, but White being shuffled off the line suddenly with a different direction of books already getting preliminary announcements and the way Brevoort talks about his work in general makes me wonder if there isn't some heat there. It's all been professional and not a bad word...strictly. But it's very sudden and when talking about his upcoming approach, Brevoort has been very critical of White's approach (saying things like there weren't enough solo books and teams felt thrown together in a fashion he called "Fake books" for example). It makes me wonder if there's a bigger story and if it'll ever be told.

The higher level takeaway overall is that the Krakoan Age was ended because Disney wants the X-Men in a closer alignment with upcoming media stuff. Between this and Ms. Marvel being made a mutant apparently at Feige's request (misquoted as him saying to kill her, but that was apparently just editorial's decision for the process) it kind of feels like the age where the comics could just do their own thing and not be frequently reshuffled to look more like the movies might be over.

But we also got clarifications on some things that Hickman got cut off from and why:

- He wanted to use Namor in a significant way, as foreshadowed in HoXPoX. This got scuttled because Aaron wanted him for Avengers and Namor is primarily assigned to the Avengers office.
- He had big plans for Franklin Richards and both he and White were excited for them, but the FF office and (unspoken, but implicit) Slott decided to retcon him out of being a mutant and despite the best modern FF writer and White disagreeing, it again came down to whose office they belonged to for veto power.

- New Mutants as a whole went off the rails, leading to a Foreshadowing cover never paying off. That would have been focused on Sam and Roberto having space adventures culminating in Roberto becoming the lover of acting Empress Deathbird and functionally taking the throne. This all got dumped because they didn't expect the book to sell well enough to justify Hickman's time or salary, so it got passed off and ended up cancelled before he could swing back around to do any of those plot points. White actually cited this as the one that bums him out the most because it was the one Hickman was most excited to write and he didn't get to.

- Kitty couldn't phase through the Krakoan portals because her power disrupts tech. It was never meant as a big mystery which is sort of why it was never really explained.

The Q&A is a multi part thing so I imagine more is to come.

12 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

- New Mutants as a whole went off the rails, leading to a Foreshadowing cover never paying off. That would have been focused on Sam and Roberto having space adventures culminating in Roberto becoming the lover of acting Empress Deathbird and functionally taking the throne. This all got dumped because they didn't expect the book to sell well enough to justify Hickman's time or salary, so it got passed off and ended up cancelled before he could swing back around to do any of those plot points. White actually cited this as the one that bums him out the most because it was the one Hickman was most excited to write and he didn't get to.

Poor Hickman, he gets stuck writing all these big books when really all he wants to do is write a Sam and 'Berto buddy book. 

People in the back and editorial always interfered, that's part and parcel of working for the big two comic publishers.

Whatever they do, 616 will never be 100 percent the same as the MCU. I also knew and know MCU fans who would rather have MCU comics instead, having to bother with 80 plus years of 616 comics history and issues upsets many, so most MCU fans won't be buying regardless of synergy.

16 hours ago, dragonzombie said:

People in the back and editorial always interfered, that's part and parcel of working for the big two comic publishers.

Whatever they do, 616 will never be 100 percent the same as the MCU. I also knew and know MCU fans who would rather have MCU comics instead, having to bother with 80 plus years of 616 comics history and issues upsets many, so most MCU fans won't be buying regardless of synergy.

i probably wouldn't read MCU comics, but i understand the desire to follow continuing adventures of these versions of the characters. This creates its own problem, as new characters get added as supporting or background characters. Until they debut in the MCU proper, and then the versions debuting on screen don't match the supporting character that was already in the pages. and then fans get upset (when don't they anyway, amiright?)

but yeah. adapting the existing 616 comics into films panel-for-shot was never going to work either, for obvious reasons. but trying to shoehorn the (shorter) continuity of the films/tv over top of the (well established) continuity of the comics is a double whammy. fuck, the comics contradict and retcon their own stories and characters all the time. 

my personal solution ("head canon") is to just enjoy as many of the stories as possible as stand-alone, and anytime something older gets referenced or referred to, that's just a bonus. real, long term character growth is damn near impossible in this behemoth of never-ending publication after 60+ years with a revolving door of editors, writers, and artists. Not to mention a corporate overlord and a constant drive for profits.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

i probably wouldn't read MCU comics, but i understand the desire to follow continuing adventures of these versions of the characters. This creates its own problem, as new characters get added as supporting or background characters. Until they debut in the MCU proper, and then the versions debuting on screen don't match the supporting character that was already in the pages. and then fans get upset (when don't they anyway, amiright?)

but yeah. adapting the existing 616 comics into films panel-for-shot was never going to work either, for obvious reasons. but trying to shoehorn the (shorter) continuity of the films/tv over top of the (well established) continuity of the comics is a double whammy. fuck, the comics contradict and retcon their own stories and characters all the time. 

my personal solution ("head canon") is to just enjoy as many of the stories as possible as stand-alone, and anytime something older gets referenced or referred to, that's just a bonus. real, long term character growth is damn near impossible in this behemoth of never-ending publication after 60+ years with a revolving door of editors, writers, and artists. Not to mention a corporate overlord and a constant drive for profits.

That's what I do, mate.

• Like 1

does anyone know the issues that Ben Reilly when he took over as Spider-Man was in in the 90s? I’ve got the complete Sensational run (0-33 with an annual and mini-comic) but I know he had 3-4 other books at the time and I’m trying to get the complete runs of those as well. I don’t want the omnibus books, I want the single issues from the 90s - it’s my childhood, I like having them that way.

19 hours ago, Casey said:

does anyone know the issues that Ben Reilly when he took over as Spider-Man was in in the 90s? I’ve got the complete Sensational run (0-33 with an annual and mini-comic) but I know he had 3-4 other books at the time and I’m trying to get the complete runs of those as well. I don’t want the omnibus books, I want the single issues from the 90s - it’s my childhood, I like having them that way.

Amazing Spider-Man #407 is the issue where Ben first shows up in his Spidey suit. I may have missed some standalones (there's so many damn books at that time!) but here's a pretty good starting point:

Amazing #407-418
Spider-Man #64-74
Spectacular #230-240
Unlimited #11-14

Note that there's a crossover called "Nightmares in Scarlet" that plays out through Web of Scarlet Spider #3, New Warriors #67, & Web of Scarlet Spider #4. Ben is Spider-Man in the latter two issues.

the books that lead directly in to Ben becoming Spider-Man are some of my favorites, and the only ones that i own. This is when they changed the title of the books to "Amazing Scarlet Spider" and etc. And of course there's the JM DeMatteis which are fantastic (The Lost Years #1-3 from the '90s, along with Ben Reilly: Spider-Man #1-5 from 2021).

Edited by twiztor
  • Thanks 1