DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023 - WEEK SIX

RIPPA

Eagles fans I’d relax. I didn’t see the whole game but what I did see was a scrappy team finally catching a break this week after missing so many all year in the Jets. That wasn’t some game the Eagles weren’t ready to play. That throw on the first drive when Hurts was tackled by 3 guys was 1 of the best throws I’ve ever seen that will be forgotten only because it happened at the start of a game. The run he had to score on that drive was no gimmie either.

The 49ers game wasn’t the same after that screen pass that went haywire on their second drive. This will sound far fetched but hear me out. They went right down the field on that first drive without attempting 1 pass except the shovel pass at the goal line. Then they get the ball again off of a turnover down there and what Kyle Shanahan thought was best was not only to call a pass, but a pass that was behind the LoS which made the fact that the OL was controlling the LoS irrelevant. The pass also took forever to develop by design. It wasn’t just the opposite of what was working before, it was the opposite Xs 1000. I mean they might as well be coached by Jimbo Fisher I swear to gosh sometimes.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I only tuned into this game after the ALCS ended... so... it was 9-7 and is now 14-9 without any crappy weather?

The Giants absolutely do not have a functional offense (outside of that bizarre second half against the Cardinals) but the defense played great for three quarters.

• Like 1

The throw since by Allen wasn’t the best throw but it wasn’t the duck that it looked like if you saw the replay. He had to lob it over that pursuing guy’s head and hands and that guy made the play more than Allen blew it. Where the Bills blew it was by not punting. 

1 minute ago, BloodyChamp said:

They couldn’t cal 2 PIs in a row to end a dang game. The first one was definitely PI though. It’s about impossible not to commit PI by rule when you actually defend the TE over the dog like throw. That usually works because the TE gets back there free.

It would be real tough to throw it twice in a row, but it definitely wouldn't have been a "wrong" call.

• Like 1

i'm sure that DPI has been called on back to back plays several times before, but it's gotta be pretty rare at any point of the game, much less two plays with so little time left

you know there's some 1980s Big 8 football enthusiast insisting the Giants should have just run the option at the goal line

Edited by Cobra Commander

7 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

i'm sure that DPI has been called on back to back plays several times before, but it's gotta be pretty rare at any point of the game, much less two plays with so little time left

you know there's some 1980s Big 8 football enthusiast insisting the Giants should have just run the option at the goal line

Man if somebody lined up in the wishbone or I and ran the veer triple option, my heart would melt from joy.

It wouldn't likely be a smart decision, but I would love it even more then I do watching Penn State run base power out of the T.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

not sure what the success percentage is for the "hope the refs call Defensive Pass Interference" play, but the Giants kinda ran that play multiple times down the stretch

to determine the success rate for DPI fishing (as outlined in the NFL rulebook):

X * Y / Z * 100, where Z is the number of times you attempt to fish for DPI, X is the number of different commercials your team's current QB stars in, and Y is the total number of times those commercials run during the game.

• Haha 2