DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - AUTUMN 2023

Dolfan in NYC

The BBC has inadvertently confirmed that older football players are much more fragile then they were in their youth: Today's headline on the BBC sport page:

"Jesus could miss 'a few weeks' with muscle injury"

Sports Talk caller: "In the old days, he woulda come back from the dead after three days, now, a muscle injury and he misses weeks? SAWFT! SAWFT I TELL YOU"

(Ok, due to space limits, they can't say in the headline it's Gabriel Jesus ;))

At half time of the Darnstadt-Bayern game, Darnstadt had to be chuffed, despite being down to nine men, they were 0-0 against the Champs, who were playing a man down as well. Maybe they could steal a point?

Bayern scored eight second half goals (including one from Harry Kane from his OWN HALF, part of his hat trick) to win 8-0

TIL - "In Germany, a hat-trick refers to three consecutive goals in a match. If the goals are scored without interruption in the same half, it is subsequently billed with the adjective lupenrein, meaning 'flawless' or 'perfect'."

So unless something changes - Saudi Arabia will be the host of the 2034 World Cup 

FIFA invited bids from Asia and Oceania and the only other possible bid was gonna come from Australia and they announced they will not be bidding.

The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) had instantly backed the Saudi bid so that really took the wind of Australia's sails too

• Haha 1

I mean, Australia just had the Women’s WC so they normally would have been an unlikely winner anyway. 

it really is amazing that people know think Infantino is worse than Blatter. Imagine if you had told people that a few years ago.

BBC Sport:

Manchester United's collapse in form since they beat Newcastle at Wembley in February to end a near six-year trophy drought has been stunning.

Ten Hag lost six of his first 40 games in charge up to that EFL Cup final success. They have lost 13 of 36 since. They have lost consecutive home matches by three goals or more for the first time since October 1962.

As was the case with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer two seasons ago, the downturn has been totally unexpected given his side finished third last season and reached the FA Cup final in addition to their trophy success.

Ten Hag has spent in excess of £350m over three transfer windows. Five of his signings started the game and six finished it. None emerged with any real credit, although it could be argued goalkeeper Andre Onana was blameless for all three Newcastle goals.

Casemiro before the break and Sofyan Amrabat after it failed to plug gaps in midfield. Once again Mason Mount was anonymous.

Not that the issues enveloping Old Trafford are any concern of Newcastle, whose fans revelled in their opponents' discomfort, chanting, 'You'll be sacked in the morning' and taunting over the number of empty red seats on show from fans leaving well before the final whistle.

On 10/31/2023 at 4:09 PM, RIPPA said:

So unless something changes - Saudi Arabia will be the host of the 2034 World Cup 

FIFA invited bids from Asia and Oceania and the only other possible bid was gonna come from Australia and they announced they will not be bidding.

The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) had instantly backed the Saudi bid so that really took the wind of Australia's sails too

The greatest part was that Africa, Europe and South America were out of the bidding process because in addition to Morocco and Spain being co-hosts in 2030, Uruguay, Argentina and Paraguay will each get a singular game each. I did stop caring a while ago, but it's so laughable imo. 

https://twitter.com/EmiratesFACup/status/1720712736165011726

Biggest FA Cup upset ever. Chelsea 2-4 Bradford City. This was during my July 2014-March 2015 absence having lost my much missed Mum in June 2014. That's the longest I've ever been away from here as I first joined in September 2005. I'm my return I read the thread and someone said that was for Natural which moved me.

• Like 1