DVDVR Message Board

RIP The Funker

4 hours ago, zendragon said:

Was it his last match in Amarillo? Do we have tape on Dory Jr v RVD

Van Dam has to slow down a bit, but Dory takes almost all of the RVD spots and there’s very little down time. They get too ambitious and RVD goes for a dive where Dory doesn’t catch him, but for what it is it’s not bad. I had to turn the sound down because of Alfonso, but it’s 90s RVD, so I guess that goes without saying. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

12 hours ago, zendragon said:

Was it his last match in Amarillo? Do we have tape on Dory Jr v RVD

It was not. He would return 3 years later for a WCW House Show in September 2000 where he won (at the time unrecognized) the US title from Lance Storm and dropped it back the next night.

Then he would return for one more in February 2002 for Jimmy Hart's XWF promotion, defeating Greg Valentine. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2023 at 7:48 AM, dokdoyle said:

I really hope that they have put Paul in front of a camera and just throw topics to him to let him talk. it would be amazing for future generations to hear. I felt the way about Dusty.

I feel this way about Paul even though I don’t agree with everything he says. He’s like a 21st Century Abe Lincoln or something. If you don’t agree with him, all that means it that you might better listen anyway just to make sure you’re not wrong. Then if you’re still not wrong once you listened well then surely you still learned something in the middle and you just listened to 1 of the few people who won’t judge you for disagreeing. Jim Cornette is another one for me. He’s a little more of a turd about somebody disagreeing with him but him judging you is harmless since he doesn’t believe in…uh…judgement lol! 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2023 at 9:12 AM, (BP) said:

Van Dam has to slow down a bit, but Dory takes almost all of the RVD spots and there’s very little down time. They get too ambitious and RVD goes for a dive where Dory doesn’t catch him, but for what it is it’s not bad. I had to turn the sound down because of Alfonso, but it’s 90s RVD, so I guess that goes without saying. 

Wow I’ve never seen this. Dory was still pretty good at brawling in the old ECW matches I’ve seen. Also in rewatching all the Terry Funk promos lately, I’ve relearned that Dory is a GOAT stand behind the man talking going mhmm mhmm mhmm yep wrestler. Anybody can do that but only a few can do it so that the man talking looks even more badass, and he was one who could.

On 9/12/2023 at 5:32 PM, DreamBroken said:

It was not. He would return 3 years later for a WCW House Show in September 2000 where he won (at the time unrecognized) the US title from Lance Storm and dropped it back the next night.

Then he would return for one more in February 2002 for Jimmy Hart's XWF promotion, defeating Greg Valentine. 

I didn’t know this either but had finally tuned out by then. That’s so unWCW like, using an old veteran for what he’s worth while the veteran appreciates it. Sounds like something ECW would do! 

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Dory was still pretty good at brawling in the old ECW matches I’ve seen

for some reason, I suspect that if some cache of 1970s Amarillo footage dropped, it would actually do more wonders for Dory than any of the famous Amarillo mainstays. Or at least it'll involve Dory working a more interesting style than people are used to seeing.

Unless it turns out that The Lawman was a superworker who never travelled because of his job or something.

• Like 1