DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2023 - 2ND HALF

RIPPA

early "fun" in St. Louis with Ian Happ's backswing hitting Cardinals scapegoat Willson Contreras, knocking him out of the game, then Miles Mikolas hits Happ (on the second try) and gets ejected, and now the Cubs are putting the boots to the Cardinals

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

I guess if you throw a shutout and hit two homers, it's possible you could leave a game due to cramping

insert obligatory "herniated disc from CARRYING THIS TEAM ON MY BACK ALL YEAR" joke here

Yeah - I’m visiting my family and NY this weekend and the second he said last night that he “was going to talk to the front office” everyone knew a trade was coming

The Scherzer deal is "on hold"!  

EDIT - The hold up is Max has agreed to go to Arlington, but he does not want to make his second year a guarantee, it's currently a PO

On 7/26/2023 at 8:28 AM, RIPPA said:

The Cardinals are discussing an extension with closer Jordan Hicks

Depending on which local reporter you read - they are close to an agreement but if they don't reach one, St Louis will trade Hicks before the deadline

Guess they couldn’t work out a deal because Hicks is getting shipped to the Jays

the Royals trading Nicky Lopez to the Braves trade is getting panned because the Royals got an older player who had only pitched once for the Braves and was available last week

Nicky Lopez had a super-fluky 2021 but outside of 2021, he's an infielder who doesn't hit but amasses value through defense

The Royals have a clusterfuck of random pitchers that they can't seem to coherently sort through because they have 13 spots and 23 pitchers on their 40 man.

On 7/30/2023 at 4:02 PM, RIPPA said:

Cubs have told teams that Cody Bellinger won’t be traded 

Neither is Stroman. I mean, the NL Central sucks and the Cubs are hot, relatively speaking. They think they have a shot at the division and honestly, they probably do, but they also need a lot of help in the pitching department. 

Of course this is the Cubs and this going to blow up spectacularly in their faces by missing the playoffs and getting nothing for Belli, nothing from Stro, etc.

The Metropolitans continue to blow things up as Mark Canha was just sent to Milwaukee.  The fun part is, the guy they got in return, Justin Jarvis, was the Brewers' 30th best prospect.  He now ranks as New York's 13th best.   

And it looks like Justin Verlander is gonna be dealt very soon.  Houston, LA, and a "mystery team~" (maybe Baltimore?) are vying for his services.  JV has a full no-trade so he'll have to approve any move, but it sounds like he's cool with it.