DVDVR Message Board

MMA Live Event Discussion Thread, Spring 2023

Elsalvajeloco

Women's featherweight is just Norma Dumont and dudes being creepy on social media about her. 

With that said, she's better than a lot of folks at women's bantamweight so she deserves a spot on the roster.

3 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Win or lose, Bassil Hafez looks like a new monster for the welterweight division to deal with.

He gave a very good account of himself, but Maddalena did make some key mistakes like going for some wild guillotines for no reason.

I like Mayra Bueno Silva's overall aggressiveness. She don't screw around. You can see Holly felt that pressure. She wasn't going to do her point fighting over 25 minutes and walk away with an easy decision. Mayra was trying to lop her head off with everything. As soon as Holly looked for a reprieve and went for a takedown, Holly ducked right into a nice choke and that was it. 

• Like 1

The amount of people thinking Hafez won is insane to me. Did he look way better than expected? Sure. Did Jack make some mistakes? More than he should have. But it all comes down to round 2 where Hafez had 1:40 of control time, doing nothing and essentially laying on top, while Madellena did alllll the damage in that round, I believe 85-32 strikes in the entire fight. We have been constantly having this discussion since O’Malley/Yan how damage is much more important in the judges eyes than control is, yet I’m seeing fighters all over Twitter crying robbery. I’d say it’s crazy that these pro fighters don’t understand the judging criteria except that judges don’t seem to understand it too since one gave Hafez round 2. I’ve probably had a few too many beers and should just get off MMA Twitter but I really don’t get what I’m missing.

Edited by A.M.B.

Here's a question.

If Fighter A punches fighter B and it wobbles him, but Fighter B still has the ability to wrestle you down to the ground and hold you there, does that diminish your perceived damage that Fighter A's punch caused?

I don't know my answer for this.

The damage issue is so tricky to me, because it's hard to know how much a person's punch affected a fighter unless they are visibly shaken by it. Like if I spend the first half of a round outpunching you, but you spend the second half of the round nearly finishing me with submissions - who wins? You didn't necessarily out damage me, because of your guillotine or armbar attempt - but you probably appeared to be the victor of the round.

The whole system and concept of judging MMA feels so screwy to me, I don't even know where to begin when it comes to fixing it.

I thought Hafez lost 2-1, but if some judge gave him Round 2, I can at least imagine how they got there. But it's no robbery.

16 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

The whole system and concept of judging MMA feels so screwy to me, I don't even know where to begin when it comes to fixing it.

if i were in charge of an athletic commission or whatever, i would definitely work with some smaller shows and try to find a new judging system. My initial thoughts are to increase the number of judges from 3 to 5. I would also institute some sort of training system for judges, because it seems like so many of them are clueless.

i think it would work to change from the 10 point must system. I'm thinking something more akin to a 5 point must system, but with a lot more liberal use of all the numbers. you'd still have mostly 5-4 round scores, but encourage 5-5 rounds for something dead even. 5-3 for a clear advantage. 5-2 for a dominant round. 5-1 if it should have already been stopped or for Nate Quarry-Kalib Starnes style fights. 

i don't know if that would work, but it couldn't be much worse than nothing but 10-9 subjective rounds.

On 7/16/2023 at 5:21 AM, The Natural said:

Never get tired seeing a Holly Holm video package with Ronda Rousey getting KTFO at UFC 193.

You are aware that Holly is just as bad of a person as Ronda, though, right? She's a total Q-Anon believer.

FzPgqzNWcAAF1Kj.jpg?1687454860

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 82: Aspinall vs. Tybura 
July 22, 2023
London, England, United Kingdom (O2 Arena)

Tom Aspinall (246) vs. Marcin Tybura (246) - Aspinall, TKO (strikes), R1 (1:13)
Molly McCann (125) vs. Julija Stoliarenko (125) - Stoliarenko, SUB (armbar), R1 (1:55)
Nathaniel Wood (146) vs. Andre Fili (145) - Wood, DEC (unanimous)
Paul Craig (186) vs. André Muniz (185) - Craig, TKO (elbows), R2 (4:40)
Jai Herbert (155) vs. Farès Ziam (155) - Ziam, DEC (unanimous)
Lerone Murphy (146) vs. Joshua Culibao (146) - Murphy, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN+ / Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Davey Grant (136) vs. Daniel Marcos (136) - Marcos, DEC (split)
Danny Roberts (171) vs. Jonny Parsons (171) - Parsons, TKO (punches), R2 (4:57)
Marc Diakiese (156) vs. Joel Álvarez (156) - Álvarez, SUB (brabo choke), R2 (4:26)
Mick Parkin (264) vs. Jamal Pogues (266) - Parkin, DEC (unanimous)
Makhmud Muradov (186) vs. Bryan Barberena (185) - Muradov, DEC (unanimous)
Ketlen Vieira (135) vs. Pannie Kianzad (136) - Vieira, DEC (unanimous)
Chris Duncan (156) vs. Yanal Ashmouz (155) - Duncan, DEC (unanimous)
Shauna Bannon (115) vs. Bruna Brasil (115) - Brasil, DEC (unanimous)
Jafel Filho (126) vs. Daniel Bárez (125) - Filho, SUB (arm triangle choke), R1 (3:26)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Paul Craig
Performance of the Night: Tom Aspinall
Fight of the Night: Danny Roberts vs. Jonny Parsons

Attendance: 15,078
Gate: $2.5 million

I'm going to take a wild guess and say Chris Duncan didn't figure out Ashmouz' arm was broken, at least until deep in the third. 

They were hyping Shauna Bannon on the (UK version of the) pre-show, but she didn't really do anything in her fight. She was doing a Holly Holm point-fighting thing, only without the actual effectiveness and solid defence that Holm usually has.

• Sad 1