DVDVR Message Board

MMA Live Event Discussion Thread, Spring 2023

Elsalvajeloco

I am wondering if Cejudo should have stepped away from MMA. He left right when he was peaking as a fighter. You don't get three years of your prime back. You probably save yourself physically by not sparring anymore, but it's tough man. Jon Jones can do it cause even a diminished Jon Jones is better than most of his division. I dunno if I can say the same thing with Cejudo. I still think he can do well against Aljo. It's just the question of how well and is that enough to win.

• Like 1

We'll see. During his time away he became a bit of a "champion whisperer" which probably gave him a lot of confidence. He's hella smart. And honestly he got back into shape really damn fast. Looked incredible this week. But yeah that's some time off. But if he pulls it off he's standing alongside Jon Jones and GSP for insane come back title wins.

Aljo is a weird one. He won the title while getting his ass beat. Then regrouped and won the rematch. Then beat TJ Dillashaw who shouldn't have been medically cleared to begin with. People talk about overlooking him, but you can't really tell if he's for real or a champion of circumstances. Even if he wins this fight you'll have people saying he beat a guy who hasn't fought in over 1000 days. He probably won't  totally erase the questions until he backpacks Sean O'Malley.

2 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

What a weird exchange that crumpled Phil Hawes.

You can say that for most of his losses.

In another life, maybe Hawes' chin would not be made of paper mache. It's like a 7.5 on the Jonathan Goulet scale.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jaedmc said:

Okay missed the last hour driving home, anything important happen?

Nothing too important. We got a small upset of Jandiroba dominating Marina Rodriguez, but that's it really.

• Thanks 1

Frevola was throwing some nukes. I don't know if that'll serve him as he moves up but he's got some nasty in those fists.

And holy shit Frevola will 100% melt Paddy's face. Solid call out.

There is a guy calling out Paddy on every show.

This definitely reminds me of early on Conor McGregor back when everyone was still 50/50 on if he could fight or not.

Just now, jaedmc said:

Paddy can fight. But his big weakness is so goddamn glaring. Did Connor have a similar issue that people felt like they could exploit?

It wasn't everyone, but many folks thought he would be done as soon as he fought a wrestler. He didn't look so hot early on against Mendes, but you have to remember that was when Team Alpha Male was still a premier camp full of smaller guys who could wrestle their ass off and were pretty well rounded. As soon as it got back on the feet, he beat the dog shit out of Mendes.

• Thanks 1

Henry Cejudo could get knocked the fuck out in round one and it would still be a better return from three years off than what Kron Gracie just had.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Henry Cejudo could get knocked the fuck out in round one and it would still be a better return from three years off than what Kron Gracie just had.

The Gracie curse is starting to become realer than the Armstrong curse.

That said, you cannot be coming into fight week talking about how the UFC should be switching to 15 minute rounds with no rules. My man been spending his time away from the octagon hitting that sticky icky.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Aljo Sterling vs. Sergio Pettis would have been an interesting prospect matchup ~8 years ago. awesome that they're champions of their respective organizations. 

@jaedmccalled this out earlier, but Aljo has probably the oddest title reign in UFC history. i hope he pulls this one off (could easily go either way- i feel like it's all about how Cejudo comes in to the fight), but i'm more excited for whoever might be next.

Unfortunate situation for Burns and his shoulder. Once that happened any threat of a take down became nullified and Belal really had a great stand up plan. Calm and methodical and lots of different looks.

5 minutes ago, twiztor said:

how did Muhammad/Burns come together so quickly? Gilbert just fought a month ago. did someone pull out short notice or what happened here?

Charles Oliveira was supposed to fight Dariush but had to pull out. Fight was moved to a later card. Gilbert said he'd save this card and fight Belal. Both guys wanted a garauntee that the winner was next after Colby.

• Thanks 1

I don't think Cejudo is going to fuck around trying to be a contender.

BUT

If he really wants Volk he should just move up and ask for Max Holloway. Max is stuck. The fight would be a big deal. And if Henry wins then he's in position to face the champ.

But I think the reality set in. If he can't beat Aljo decisively there's no way in hell he's beating Alexander fucking Volkanovski.

• Thanks 1

I think tonight was a combo to Sterling being too sharp and too quick and Cejudo being hella rusty. For a smaller guy, three years is way too long not to be fighting. The dudes you come back to fight...it's going to seem like everything in the fight is going in fast forward. He lost a lot of timing and explosion, which makes a ton of difference going against the best the division has to offer.

• Like 1

I had it 48-47 Sterling but a couple of the rounds were close, I don't see any controversary though (if Cejudo had got the decision, oh man). It was a fun fight though, I give Cejudo credit for going straight to the really tough fight after three years and not taking a warm-up, but of course I know he did that for money reasons not necessarily due to bravery. Wonder where he goes next, if that was a GSP "one and done" return or if he'll try to work back to it.