DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics - 2023

Dolfan in NYC

On 8/10/2023 at 4:02 PM, 赤い竜 said:

Big plans for Marvel next year. Nobody knows what those plans are though.

Tom Brevoort will be in charge of the X-Men, and wrap up his job with the Avengers.  

Some think it's a shift to fully pushing X-Men over the Avengers again. 

23 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Such a huge book at the time

That one page, with the "Who dares to summon the Phoenix?" and Darkseid's "I dare" is maybe the best moment in any pre-JLA/Avengers Marvel/DC crossover.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

That one page, with the "Who dares to summon the Phoenix?" and Darkseid's "I dare" is maybe the best moment in any pre-JLA/Avengers Marvel/DC crossover.

I think my favorite but, IIRC, if when Gar and Kitty activate the Mobius Chair and when it comes back, they are huddled together on it, scared. 

when that came out, I don’t know if I had actually read any of the Kirby Fourth World issues, but did know Darkseid from the Great Darkness Saga and/or Super Friends. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2023 at 11:44 AM, The Natural said:

Spider-Gwen: Smash. Limited series written by Melissa Flores and illustrated by Enid Balám. Never heard of Flores/Balam till now.

Balám did the art on Marieke Nijkamp's Hawkeye: Kate Bishop mini which was pretty enjoyable. Their character work probably isn't traditional super hero but it's very expressive and dynamic. They also seem to be becoming one of Marvel's go-to artist for younger characters as they did they Repitl mini and the recent New Mutants: Lethal Legion mini. 

Honestly combination of being high on Gwen after Spider-Verse and Balám on the art has me thinking of checking it out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, blitzkrieg said:

Balám did the art on Marieke Nijkamp's Hawkeye: Kate Bishop mini which was pretty enjoyable. Their character work probably isn't traditional super hero but it's very expressive and dynamic. They also seem to be becoming one of Marvel's go-to artist for younger characters as they did they Repitl mini and the recent New Mutants: Lethal Legion mini. 

Honestly combination of being high on Gwen after Spider-Verse and Balám on the art has me thinking of checking it out.

Thanks for the help.

Speaking of, if you need any Spider-Gwen recommendations, let me know. I've read the most celebrated runs by Spider-Gwen creators Jason Latour/Robbi Rodriguez to completion and most of the other Spider-Gwen stories as well.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Interesting how the world of Earth 6160 works. The Earth setting and time are same as the real world, but how the countries and geopolitics work are different. I will post the map of the world later, it's not like the real world or 616. 

Anti Maker/ Dr.Doom 

Spoiler

Is the Reed of Earth 6160. 

I get StrikeForce Morituri vibes from the future Ultimates army.

Also by now we should realize the solicits of the issues are swervy. The Illuminati meant something else instead of the 616 concept. Even data is being thrown in the solicits.

I expect the real "Ultimates" to arrive and screw up the Maker's plans.

1963 is when the Avengers and X-Men debuted on Earth 616, but the sliding timescale of Earth 616 moves those debuts to somewhere in the late or mid 00's.  

Sometimes they will use retro fashion and other things belonging to the past in flashbacks but it is still set in the 00's. Only Bendis tried to break the rules (make the O5 actually from the 1960s) but most of the other writers don't do that.

On 9/2/2023 at 1:20 PM, 赤い竜 said:

1963 is when the Avengers and X-Men debuted on Earth 616, but the sliding timescale of Earth 616 moves those debuts to somewhere in the late or mid 00's.  

Sometimes they will use retro fashion and other things belonging to the past in flashbacks but it is still set in the 00's. Only Bendis tried to break the rules (make the O5 actually from the 1960s) but most of the other writers don't do that.

I liked the way Tim Sale did some of it in DD Yellow and Spider-Man Blue where there would be people wearing bell-bottoms but also using personal computers and such.

• Like 1

Only one issue left of Ultimate Invasion. The final 4th issue contains the Maker of Earth 1610 vs the far future Kang of Earth 6160.  

I dunno who Ultimate Kang of Earth 6160 is, so he either could be teen Tony grown up or older Howard or Earth 6160's Reed or maybe Stane? Victor? 

I wonder how Ultimate Thor and Ultimate Captain America arrive? Does Howard Stark find them? Howard doesn't want to play under the Illuminati of Earth 6160 rules. Basically a shoot breaking the work.

Solicits this month should reveal what are the upcoming titles. Maybe.