DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics - 2023

Dolfan in NYC

Not a fan of Marvel using Earth 616 again for Prime Earth, feels like a copout...

Spoiler

Lucky for me Dan Slott retconned the numberings again as fancy slop numbers for the Captain Britain Corps.

All the Spiders are restored, the main earth is the Spiderverse, and Silk is still the new chosen one. One more step away in the future from removing the totem stuff off Peter....

Spider-Boy is inserted into the main Earth history...

Sorry for the spam but it's a deader board in 2023, and will become more dead as the years go on, like what happened to every defunct pro-wrestling adjacent boards I all used to post on..

More X titles

Seems most titles are mini's.

Spoiler

They're closing out the Era.

I'll perk up and check out Hickman's stuff when it rolls out but besides that not a whole lot coming out from Marvel that has me interested. Was doing the X-Book grind but as often the case major crossover events end up being jumping off points for me and have basically checked out since right before AXE. 

They have some solid stuff going on but just nothing that I'm willing to buy single issue wise or to resubscribe to Marvel Unlimited.

Miraculously I caught up on enough to have finished A.X.E. and be up to date with Sins of Sinister.

When it comes to the big tentpole events, Marvel does a thing now where they make it seem like the event is going to be about one thing and then it ends up being about something else. So instead of it being some war between the Avengers, X-Men, and Eternals, a couple of issues in, it was about a new Celestial (and they never did a good enough job explaining why THAT was the plan in the first place) judging everyone. That was the tie-in hook, which on some level was fine, but there was never any weight to it since no single character was going to turn the tide and the criteria was so capricious. It was all fine and written well but I don't think it really came together. Maybe it should have been two different events over a span of time or something.

With Sins of Sinister, they just skipped all the fascinating stuff, which would have been the Year One machinations and schemes and plans of the Sinisterized people on the Council trying to enact their plans. They covered it in a few pages and jumped to the ten years/one hundred years/one thousand years stuff, which is by far the least interesting of what Hickman laid down. I know most of it is going to be undone in the end so maybe you don't want to take a whole year's worth of comics on it, but it all feels like such a waste.

Oh, and catching up meant catching up on some things like Legion of X. What an unnecessary book. There's a lot of value to Spurrier's work when the line is driven by Bendis and down to earth, but when everything is weird and out there (and X-Men, the flagship superhero book still being about fights with Nightmare or whatever) you don't need an especially weird book. Everything is weird!

Edited by Matt D

TASM (Vol. 6) #24 SPOILER:

Spoiler

https://twitter.com/sighsin616/status/1648723044469227522

I expected this. Feels a redo of Captain America trapped in Dimension Z written by Rick Remender but it's much better done by Rick.

Zeb Wells on TASM (Vol. 6) #26:

I can tease that many people will be very mad at me. I can tease that [editor Nick Lowe] told me not to do any comic conventions after this issue comes out. People will be upset."

As noted I hate this run. It's the worst I've ever read. I'd take Dan Slott TASM (Vol. 3/Vol. 4) and John Byrne/Howard Mackie TASM (Vol. 2) over Wells. Sooner Wells and Nick Lowe go the better.

I'm already looking ahead to the next writer on The Amazing Spider-Man. My dream pick would be Grant Morrison for what he'd done on Batman/Superman but there's no chance that's happening or Christopher Yost who is so underappreciated. My other choice is Peter J Tomasi from his Batman and Robin/Super Sons/Superman runs. Reunite him with frequent partner Patrick Gleason. Chip Zdarsky has never done the flagship Spider-Man book but has wrote two of the best Spider-Man stories ever in Finale/My Dinner with Jonah. I like Tom Taylor also from Injustice/Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man/Nightwing. There's Mark Waid. I'd take someone I've never read to get rid of Zeb Wells in all honesty.

Edited by The Natural

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

TASM (Vol. 6) #24 SPOILER:

As noted I hate this run. It's the worst I've ever read. I'd take Dan Slott TASM (Vol. 3/Vol. 4) and John Byrne/Howard Mackie TASM (Vol. 2) over Wells. Sooner Wells and Nick Lowe go the better.

it used to be that Peter was the one with the "Parker Luck", where the world was against him and nothing would go right.

I guess that transferred to the Spider-Man fans, since there hasn't been positive momentum in those circles for years now.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'm already looking ahead to the next writer on The Amazing Spider-Man. My dream pick would be Grant Morrison for what he'd done on Batman/Superman but there's no chance that's happening or Christopher Yost who is so underappreciated. My other choice is Peter J Tomasi from his Batman and Robin/Super Sons/Superman runs. Reunite him with frequent partner Patrick Gleason. Chip Zdarsky has never done the flagship Spider-Man book but has wrote two of the best Spider-Man stories ever in Finale/My Dinner with Jonah. I like Tom Taylor also from Injustice/Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man/Nightwing. There's Mark Waid. I'd take someone I've never read to get rid of Zeb Wells in all honesty.

Unfortunately, none of those names are working for Marvel right now and I think one or two of them are exclusive to DC.  

Marvel is very uninteresting to me right now.  I’ll always pay attention to what Hickman and Gillen are doing, but, on the whole, there aren’t many books that interest me.  I can scan through Marvel solicits in a couple min.  Which is a shame, because I felt like they had a deep talent pool and were doing a lot of interesting books prior to Secret Wars ending.  Then they lost writers like Remender and Lemire to the independents.

Truthfully, I’m not even into Gillen’s Marvel work right now.  Immortal X-Men is fine, but I don’t like the art much snd generally feel like it would be better If Gillen could tell stories for a while without having to write around crossovers and stunts.  I really dug his Eternals book with Ribic and AXE was fine, but I’m not too interested in anything coming out of that and Immortal X-Men immediately segued into any other event for three months.

not too interested in DC either, but they do have writers I like.  Piling on Tom King is one way to keep me interested.  dC’s problem seems to be more matching writers I like with books I want to read.  On the whole, I’m not too into DC either, but they have more potential to sell me trades.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, twiztor said:

it used to be that Peter was the one with the "Parker Luck", where the world was against him and nothing would go right.

I guess that transferred to the Spider-Man fans, since there hasn't been positive momentum in those circles for years now.

Summed it up perfectly. Cheers, mate!

20 hours ago, blitzkrieg said:

Honestly I think there are a lot of writers out there who have no interest in writing ASM just because they don't want to deal with the fanbase. I know Zdarsky outright said that he wouldn't be interested in doing it for that reason. 

The spectre of One More Day continues to cast a long shadow. Chip Zdarsky has only done Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man and Spider-Man: Life Story because he doesn't want to do the big book, The Amazing Spider-Man as you note.

19 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Unfortunately, none of those names are working for Marvel right now and I think one or two of them are exclusive to DC.  

Marvel is very uninteresting to me right now.  I’ll always pay attention to what Hickman and Gillen are doing, but, on the whole, there aren’t many books that interest me.  I can scan through Marvel solicits in a couple min.  Which is a shame, because I felt like they had a deep talent pool and were doing a lot of interesting books prior to Secret Wars ending.  Then they lost writers like Remender and Lemire to the independents.

Truthfully, I’m not even into Gillen’s Marvel work right now.  Immortal X-Men is fine, but I don’t like the art much snd generally feel like it would be better If Gillen could tell stories for a while without having to write around crossovers and stunts.  I really dug his Eternals book with Ribic and AXE was fine, but I’m not too interested in anything coming out of that and Immortal X-Men immediately segued into any other event for three months.

not too interested in DC either, but they do have writers I like.  Piling on Tom King is one way to keep me interested.  dC’s problem seems to be more matching writers I like with books I want to read.  On the whole, I’m not too into DC either, but they have more potential to sell me trades.

My interest in comic books has dropped a tad certainly Spider-Man through Zeb Wells/Nick Lowe/Dan Slott. I'm liking Chip Zdarsky's Batman though it has similarities to Grant Morrison's Batman run 2006-2013 which I adore but is lacking when compared to that. I thought it would be smaller scale street level in Chip's Daredevil. The first Failsafe arc felt more like it should be the last Batman story by Chip and we get a Batman sent to a different point in time. Tom King is so hit and miss, he's better with shorter stories from one and done to twelve issues max. Loved Vision, thought Batman was mostly bad whereas the annuals were great and hated Heroes in Crisis.

Edited by The Natural

For X-Men, Hickman probably was gonna undo it all his X-work and Moira's true final life is her being born human and memory wiped of her previous lives, so the actual real timeline. I still feel like readers are stuck in the wrong timeline because of Marvel editoral.

On 4/26/2023 at 4:27 PM, 赤い竜 said:

I ignored Rich's headcanon ramblings on BC.

I feel like I do this with 90% of Rich’s social media posts these days.  I don’t use the site, but I do follow BC on Twitter.  I get enough news content out of tweets to make it worthwhile, but, boy, do I miss the days when Rich used to post news and confine his editorializing fo columns.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Matt D said:

I'm ok with how Sins of Sinister ended. I think it opens up some interesting paths moving forward.

I stopped reading Paul's annotations since I decided to wait for it on Unlimited and read it all then. 

Now just looking forward to the Beast reboot.