DVDVR Message Board

2023 Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Eivion said:
  Hide contents

Surprised Suzu won since she is still officially a freelancer. As much as I figured it would be her in the finals I had her chances at 30% or lower. Either they got a ton of trust in her or she is signed/signing.

Spoiler

I think all Suzu, Mei and Yuna are all signed (seeing that none have worked anywhere else) , they just don't announce it anymore.

Seeing that Suzu is challenging for Tam's title in November leads a bit of credence that Saya was the original winning and is facing Tam at the end of the year.

4 hours ago, nofuture said:
  Hide contents

I think all Suzu, Mei and Yuna are all signed (seeing that none have worked anywhere else) , they just don't announce it anymore.

Seeing that Suzu is challenging for Tam's title in November leads a bit of credence that Saya was the original winning and is facing Tam at the end of the year.

Spoiler

Does it? Saya does not feel like a big draw despite the work put into her, and she had basically no momentum going into the GP. Feels to me more like they have something bigger than usual in store for Dream Queendom than typical.

Based on how the people in the finals have been pushed even prior to the injuries and the connection between the two, they at least had a contingency plan in place. At this point, who was originally booked to win is pretty much irrelevant. This goes especially since the final sounds like a pretty great match.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eivion said:
  Hide contents

Surprised Suzu won since she is still officially a freelancer. As much as I figured it would be her in the finals I had her chances at 30% or lower. Either they got a ton of trust in her or she is signed/signing.

Spoiler

Suzu and Mei Seira have been signed for months. The only freelancers that work regularly are Megan Bayne, Saori Anou, and Kaori Yoneyama

Edited by Ace

1 hour ago, Ace said:
  Hide contents

Suzu and Mei Seira have been signed for months. The only freelancers that work regularly are Megan Bayne, Saori Anou, and Kaori Yoneyama

Spoiler

Have they been announced as such? If they aren't its typically best to assume they are freelancers regardless of how much they appear. 

Hikaru Shida lost the Regina di WAVE title to VENY today, ending her reign just shy of 14 months. It's VENY's second time with the title, although the last time she held it was five years ago when she was ASUKA and wasn't nearly as good as she is now. Looking forward to seeing what she'll do with it this time.

Also, the Crush Gals reunion looks like it drew pretty well to the Yokohama Budokan, though 2,600 is a nice, round number! It looked like it was a pretty fun nostalgia show, though.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, nofuture said:

She's worked a pretty heavy schedule lately and with someone her size, those bumps are going to eventually take their toll.

I understand that, but a cervical hernia is a pretty specific for two people to get in a relatively short span.

Well, that tag league is gonna be a singles tournament if the injuries keep up. That or they're doing their version of Parejas Incredibles like they did last month. Looking at the new lineup, you got two God's Eye members not teaming with each other but with folks from other groups. That's unique.

Ice Ribbon announced the cancellation of the International Ribbon Tag Title match on October 22 due to an injury to Hikari Shimizu. The injury? You guessed it - cervical hernia. What the heck is going on in joshi?

No word on if Kaho Matsushita will get a replacement partner and challenge champions Misa Kagura & Sumika Yanagawa at a later date or wait for Hikari to get well and wrestle as a single until then. This will likely make the match between Ibuki Hoshi and the winner of the top contender tournament the main event that day instead.

• Like 1

Tsukina Umino is going to be on leave of absence for an unspecified period of time, stated to be related to mental health matters. This is why she retired when she was part of WAVE.

Ice Ribbon's release on the matter is that they support her taking the absence and will do what they can when she's ready to come back, and Tsukina herself is terming it as a "short break" that she is being encouraged to take. I'm glad she's taking the time she needs to sort things out!

The tournament to determine Ibuki Hoshi's first challenger has come down to a pretty interesting final match! Kyuuri upset Totoro Satsuki today, and Mifu Ashida has made it past Asuka Fujitaki and Saran. That gives us the following lineup on Monday, which is streaming on Ice Ribbon's PPV service and I'm probably going to buy because I'm pretty hyped for it:

- Totoro Satsuki vs. Mayuka Koike
- Makoto & ZONES vs. Rina Amikura & Asuka Fujitaki
- Ibuki Hoshi & Arisa Shinose vs. Yuko Sakurai & Saran
- Kyuuri vs. Mifu Ashida
- Sumika Yanagawa & Hiroyo Matsumoto vs. Hamuko Hoshi & Kaho Matsushita

First appearance for Rina Amikura since March (and only the second of 2023), plus Mayuka Koike's second match after debuting at Korakuen in August. I'm glad we're getting to see more of ZONES! The main event of Sumika/Hiroyo vs. Hamuko/Kaho is interesting for a lot of reasons. It gives a peek at what Kaho's going to do next since Hikari Shimizu is injured, since she's in a match against half of 1111. But then there's the curveball of Hiroyo Matsumoto showing back up after being gone for almost all of 2022, and participating at Hamuko's Mother's Day event this year. I wonder if it's just a one-time appearance or if there's more at hand. Then, of course, you have whether Ice Ribbon's resident heel Kyuuri will be Ibuki's first challenger, or if Mifu Ashida can actually pull this off! Kyuuri did sneakily pin Ibuki on last week's dojo show in a triangle match...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sparkleface said:

But then there's the curveball of Hiroyo Matsumoto showing back up after being gone for almost all of 2022, and participating at Hamuko's Mother's Day event this year. I wonder if it's just a one-time appearance or if there's more at hand. 

Having seen ZONES and Matsumoto team up in Oz Academy it would be cool if they became a semi-reguler team across different promotions. I think they vibe with similar power styles and attitude.