DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 43: Blaydes vs. Lewis (2/20/2021) - Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Elsalvajeloco

I know he (Darrick Minner) still won handily, but it seems ill advised to have a no-gi grappling contest with a guy whose only chance to win is that when you're consistently hurting him standing.

8 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Of course Derrick Lewis could throw one punch and change everything, but based on his last couple of "wins" I feel like Blaydes "should" take care of business.

There probably will be a scary moment or two, but I expect Blaydes to eventually grind him down.

I'm far from an expert but I  agree with that decision. Viera was in position but Kunitskaya was landing a lot of shots from underneath and while  defending the choke. It just felt like she was dealing more damage, even before the flurry at the end. 

Yeah those last 2 shot seemed unnecessary and him wanting to fuck him up.   But again that was basically a Lewis fight.  One big shot and you are done

It wouldn't really be a Herb Dean officiated fight if someone took too much punishment 

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I don't see how that was Herb Dean's fault. He can only move so fast.

I wondered why Lewis said that as well about Dean. Dean's not at fault here. I hate when extra strikes are done to someone who is clearly unconscious and unable to defend themselves.

Edited by The Natural

25 minutes is a very long time to not get knocked out by Derrick Lewis. It's such an amazing test for heavyweights because they can dominate him but it may be one of the best examples of power being the great equalizer. That was a sickening punch tho. Hope Blaydes is able to recover. 

Fuckin' hell, man. Blaydes shot right into it and because of that and how hard he was hit, he was out on his feet and it took him like half a second to fall. That's really dangerous then you add the unnecessary shots after that. ?

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

It's crazy that Blaydes was dominating Derrick Lewis with nothing but boxing and low kicks. Then, he just decides to switch to his wrestling in the next round. His first takedown attempt doesn't work and then he changes levels just as Derrick is dipping his hips and throws that right uppercut with all his might. That's a cardinal mistake by Blaydes because he should have expected that to be thrown with the threat of a takedown. That's what Bisping was talking about in round 1 (per Rashad Evans) in that Blaydes kinda shoots sloppily. The most notorious other example I can think of this happening is Lavar Johnson vs. Carl Seumanutafa. Same mistake and exact same outcome: guy out cold on the mat.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jiji said:

25 minutes is a very long time to not get knocked out by Derrick Lewis. It's such an amazing test for heavyweights because they can dominate him but it may be one of the best examples of power being the great equalizer. That was a sickening punch tho. Hope Blaydes is able to recover. 

Fuckin' hell, man. Blaydes shot right into it and because of that and how hard he was hit, he was out on his feet and it took him like half a second to fall. That's really dangerous then you add the unnecessary shots after that. ?

Amplified the power, brutal. Also brutal were the uncalled for follow up punches to an out cold fighter.

Edited by The Natural

Lewis was pretty immobile waiting for the taken down, and Blaydes look like he could have pieced up that leg all night. And he knew Lewis had the uppercut counter in the back pocket because he felt it in the first. Just not a smart move.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Lewis was pretty immobile waiting for the taken down, and Blaydes look like he could have pieced up that leg all night. And he knew Lewis had the uppercut counter in the back pocket because he felt it in the first. Just not a smart move.

After seeing that, fighters are going to be wary about going for a takedown on Lewis.

Edited by The Natural

brutal KO uppercut by Lewis.  i don't fault him for the 2 followup shots. Hit until the referee stops it. i also don't fault Herb Dean. shit happens in a fight. glad Blaydes is OK.

i was sure we were looking at a Blaydes/Rozenstruik #1 contenders match. guess this scratches that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, twiztor said:

brutal KO uppercut by Lewis.  i don't fault him for the 2 followup shots. Hit until the referee stops it. i also don't fault Herb Dean. shit happens in a fight. glad Blaydes is OK.

i was sure we were looking at a Blaydes/Rozenstruik #1 contenders match. guess this scratches that.

Jairzinho is actually fighting Cyril Gane next week. I'm guessing Derrick fights the winner of that.

Jesus, with how Jairzinho got KO'd by Ngannou... there's now a very clear road back to Lewis/Ngannou 2. 

Can you imagine them hyping that rematch while showing clips of the first time? All those intense highlights like Derrick staring at Francis...and Francis...staring back at Derrick. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1