DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2020 - SPRING TRAINING FOREVER

Dolfan in NYC

Cuomo officially ended daily briefings yesterday. Cases have been going down here for a month.  The city is only hitting Phase 2 on Monday.  

Pretty much everyone here knows someone who has been infected.  I've known 6 people who have died. 

There is free testing (infection and antibodies) everywhere.  People are taking this thing seriously and for the most part, social distancing and wearing masks. 

Believe whatever the absolute fuck you want to believe, but I feel safer in New York City right now than anywhere in Florida. 

• Like 5

Well despite John's old man hatred - all MLB clubs are moving their training locations to their home ballparks (of course the Florida, Texas, California teams are still screwed)

Okay another round of the painful "We refuse to give up on the season yet" news

The players were going to vote today on the 60 game proposal, but then they weren't because they wanted more info around safety procedures with all the facilities closing. THEN they changed their mind and were going to vote again.

The reason is that it was believe the players were going to reject the 60 game proposal thus forcing Manfred to set the schedule. But because the players didn't agree to a deal - they would still have their ability to file a grievance.

So clearly the owners realized they were going to lose a grievance hearing so literally as the players were meeting Tony Clark got a letter from Manfred that basically said "Okay - if there is no season this year then the universal DH and expanded playoffs won't happen next year. So the ended their meeting early to think things over.

Here is a better summary

JUNE 21: While no vote will take place today, Heyman reports that MLB is “willing to make a couple changes” to its 60-game proposal to facilitate an agreement with the players. One such change, as reported by ESPN’s Jeff Passan: if a full season isn’t played this year, Manfred offered in a letter to Tony Clark to cancel the expanded playoff format and the universal DH rule in the 2021 season. Such a provision would prevent the deal from leaning too far in the owners’ favor should the COVID-19 pandemic force the cancellation of the 2020 season.

In the same letter to Clark, Manfred suggests that the two sides’ disagreement on the number of games played might be an inflexible issue, according to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic. With teams relocating from the spring locations to their home ballparks, Rosenthal tabs June 29 as the earliest date teams could report to training. And if the season is to end before October (a point that MLB has insisted upon), that leaves 66 days to play. Thus, the 70 game schedule desired by the players might not be feasible

22 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Cuomo officially ended daily briefings yesterday. Cases have been going down here for a month.  The city is only hitting Phase 2 on Monday.  

Pretty much everyone here knows someone who has been infected.  I've known 6 people who have died. 

There is free testing (infection and antibodies) everywhere.  People are taking this thing seriously and for the most part, social distancing and wearing masks. 

Believe whatever the absolute fuck you want to believe, but I feel safer in New York City right now than anywhere in Florida. 

Oh, I quite agree and my condolences for your losses. NY seems to have things under control, something that both Florida and my native New Mexico could learn from. I'm pretty much homebound, but Kathy reports on a staggering number of idiots walking around without masks and most are Navajos who believe the idiocy that "only white people can get the bug". It will get much, much worse here before it gets better. At least Kathy's sisters have the good sense to wear masks and practice proper social distancing. Their report on the number of people at Wal-Mart blithely trooping about with no masks was just heartbreaking. "Only white people can get the bug." when we're in the fucking middle of the Navajo reservation has to be the stupidest bit of racism I've heard lately.

• Like 1

Buster Olney says the delay is because MLB and MLBPA are trying one last ditch attempt to come to an agreement.

Either way - Rob Manfred is expected to speak this evening to give an update on where everything is

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Players have officially rejected the owners offer

And in other news, Tyrus Raymond Cobb is still dead...

Manfred has put out the parameters of the season:  60 games, no universal DH, no expanded playoffs.

Spring Training reopens July 1, regular season begins 7/28.

The players have until tomorrow to decide if they'll abide the safety/testing protocols.

11 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Manfred has put out the parameters of the season:  60 games, no universal DH, no expanded playoffs.

Spring Training reopens July 1, regular season begins 7/28.

The players have until tomorrow to decide if they'll abide the safety/testing protocols.

No so fast

The Athletic’s Jayson Stark tweeted yesterday that a universal DH in 2020 was included in the initial version of health and safety protocols. The lack of a formal agreement means that the arrival of the universal DH in 2020 isn’t yet official, but MLB Network’s Jon Heyman tweets that “both sides see value” in its implementation — at least for this season. The two parties will presumably discuss its implementation in future seasons this winter.

Also - it is expected that the structure of the schedule will remain the version of you only play teams in your division and then other leagues similar division

So AL East vs NL East, AL Central vs. NL Central, AL West vs. NL West

MLB wants to limit travel as much as possible (though the West teams are still screwed)

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

And no - no one has any fucking clue what is gonna happen with the Blue Jays

You mean the Portland Blue Jays?

The two theories I have seen are

Play in Buffalo - since that is where their AAA affiliate is

Share stadiums with Tampa (since I guess it is super close to their Florida facility but my Florida geography is shit so don't quote me on that)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Share stadiums with Tampa (since I guess it is super close to their Florida facility but my Florida geography is shit so don't quote me on that)

I'm actually thinking Buffalo, to keep the NE fanbase (such as it is).

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Dunedin is where their ST facility is, and has been forever.  It's an suburb/exurb of Tampa Bay (~45 minutes out).   That honestly makes the most sense assuming they're going to go with no fans.  

If the plan is to have fans eventually, you probably want a stadium whose capacity is greater than 8500. Which means Buffalo. 

So a couple non-ish covid-related.

Supposedly the players have agreed to go to Spring Training 2.0 on July 1st.  (Warning: this is a Nightengale report so...one should not hold one's breath.)  Massive outbreaks to begin July 2nd?

When/If the season commences, a run down on rule changes:

• MLB plans to implement 30-man rosters, up from 26, to start the season. However, the 30-man total will shrink to 28 on the 15th day of the season. It will go down to 26 on Day 29 and stay there for good.
  • The trade deadline is normally July 31, but expectations are that it will move to Aug. 31 this year.
  • A runner starting on second base in extra innings would only apply in the regular season, not the playoffs. The batter who made the final out in the previous inning would start extras on second.
  • MLB may decide to suspend games that don’t last at least five innings due to weather. In other words, they’ll remain in limbo until the teams are able to finish them at a later date.
  • Both pitchers and position players would likely have a 10-day injured list. For players who are seriously hurt, the 60-day IL would be cut to 45 days.
  • Three days before the resumption of spring training, teams have to submit lists of 60 players who will be eligible to play for them during the season (40-man rosters plus taxi squads). All players would not show up to spring training at the same time. They’d report on a “staggered” basis, and they’d be at the ballpark at different times.

More details from Jayson Stark

• The league’s transactions freeze will end Friday at noon ET, though it’s still debating whether to let teams sign players to minor league contracts.
  • Teams must submit their 60-player pool by 3 ET on Sunday, and they’ll be able to take three taxi squad players on the road, though one has to be a catcher. All 60 of those players will be invited to spring training, but clubs will have the option of sending 20 to alternate sites.
  • Players have to be added to the big league roster by Sept. 15 to be eligible for the postseason.
  • Even though teams won’t have to invite all players on their 40-man rosters to spring training, they’ll still have to be paid.
  • MLB has been talking with Nashville about keeping two teams of unsigned players there as an emergency pool. Those players would make $400 per week, and teams would have to pay a fee to Nashville to sign any of them.

I bolded that last one because that is out of the blue

Also - there will be a separate IL for players who test positive and that one will not have a limit of length of time

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

More details from Jayson Stark

I bolded that last one because that is out of the blue

Also - there will be a separate IL for players who test positive and that one will not have a limit of length of time

I could easily be wrong, but I have to think that $400 doesn't go very far in Nashville.