DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2020 - SPRING TRAINING FOREVER

Dolfan in NYC

8 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

CHICO'S BAIL BONDS on Line 2 Commish!  

I swear to god, we BETTER get teams having "Trojan Endz Boners of the week" segments...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Raziel said:

I swear to god, we BETTER get teams having "Trojan Endz Boners of the week" segments...

This reminds me that the best old-timey baseball names for game-changing plays were Merkle's Boner and Snodgrass's Muff.

• Haha 2

The MLBPA has submitted a counter that would up the number of games to 70. God it is just easier to post this giant recap

1:20pm: SNY’s Andy Martino reports that there’s frustration among some owners that they’re receiving a counter to what they didn’t believe was a proposal (Twitter thread). Ownership believed a deal/framework was in place at 60 games earlier in the week. The MLBPA, however, saw the 60-game prorated framework as a proposal — not an agreement.

Martino adds that commissioner Rob Manfred had to “really twist” the arm of some owners to get to that 60-game mark, so it seems a straightforward “meet in the middle,” 65-game concept isn’t popular among ownership.

1:00pm: The Major League Baseball Players Association has finalized yet another counter-proposal for the league, according to Jeff Passan and Jesse Rogers of ESPN.com (Twitter thread). The union’s latest proposal is for 70 games and includes a “split of playoff revenues,” per Passan and Rogers. The league will likely make another counter before any terms are agreed upon.

Earlier this week, ownership proposed a 60-game season with prorated salaries, while the MLBPA reportedly continued to hold out hope for a longer season. The MLBPA’s last formal proposal to the league called for 89 games, so this latest proposal marks a notable drop from that point. Other factors have begun to surface in the back-and-forth, such as a universal DH in 2020 and 2021, expanded 16-team playoffs in each of the next two seasons, a joint fund for social justice initiatives and the partial forgiveness of the $170MM advance that was already paid out to players as a compromise to receive service time in the event of a canceled season.

It seems as though talks are reaching their apex, although that sense has existed at various points in the past. We’re already well past the June 10 target date for a relaunched training camp, and the once-hoped-for July 4 start date is clearly out of the question at this juncture. But the two sides still remain hopeful that a mid-July start date can be realized, with expanded postseason play running through late October. A middle ground in the mid-60s seems like it should be plausible at this point, although it’s best to temper any expectations for straightforward compromise between these two parties at this point.

As ESPN’s Buster Olney observes on Twitter, though, the difference between a 60-game and 70-game season checks in at roughly $245-250MM in total revenue — or $8.33MM per team. When we’ve reached the point where the gap between the two sides is comparable to what multiple individual free agents were promised this winter (think Stephen Strasburg, Anthony Rendon or, on a larger scale, Gerrit Cole) — it seems things should be able to come together quickly. Still, USA Today’s Bob Nightengale tweets that there’s little indication a resolution will be reached “quickly.” Still, it’s nearly unfathomable to think that the two sides could be as few as 10 games apart in their proposals and not eventually strike some kind of agreement.

I really couldn't care less about the DH being in both leagues or not existing period, it's long overdue for computers to call balls and strikes among other things, and shirts having some kind of advertising on them doesn't bother me too. I guess I'm just not a "purist." Doesn't the NBA have advertising on their jerseys?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Doesn't the NBA have advertising on their jerseys?

Yes - in the last few years they were added (and nowhere remotely close to being as big as you would see in say soccer)

Yup - never gonna be a season

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/06/manfred-this-needs-to-be-over.html

Clark insisted in his most recent statement that he did not reach an agreement with Manfred during their recent sit-down. Manfred offered his own take, though he did so in a rather circumspect manner.

Per Manfred: “I don’t know what Tony and I were doing there for several hours going back and forth and making trades if we weren’t reaching an agreement.”

It’s yet another bizarre dispute between bargaining parties that obviously have a strained relationship but no alternative partner. They are still arguing over the interpretation of the last deal they formally agreed to.

In this case, nobody claims that pen went to paper. Manfred himself stated just yesterday that the meetings had resulted in a “framework” that “could form the basis of an agreement.” But the sides evidently now disagree as to whether and to what extent they reached a handshake deal during their in-person talks.

Also in the article is Manfred saying that there is no way they can play 70 games because the MLB health advisers are saying that you can't play double headers

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The replies are going exactly how you think they are

HOW WILL I EVER LEARN ABOUT HISTORY WITHOUT IT?!?!?!?!

I went back and found the comments from the dude. Can someone explain where the wrestling thing came in because this is fucking nuts on top of being abhorrently racist:

In 1978, former Twins owner Calvin Griffith was invited to speak to the Lions Club in Waseca, a small city in southern Minnesota. Among those in the audience was Nick Coleman, a former Star Tribune reporter and columnist who is currently executive editor of The UpTake, a Twin Cities-based non-profit news organization.

Taking questions from the audience, Griffith was asked why he brought the Twins to Minnesota from Washington, D.C., in 1961. Coleman wrote that Griffith answered the question with a criticism of Twin Cities sports reporters -- and then he changed direction, moving on to the subject that would dominate local headlines for days to come::

Coleman wrote "At that point Griffith interrupted himself, lowered his voice and asked if there were any blacks around. After he looked around the room and assured himself that his audience was white, Griffith resumed his answer. 'I'll tell you why we came to Minnesota,' he said. 'It was when I found out you only had 15,000 blacks here. Black people don't go to ball games, but they'll fill up a rassling ring and put up such a chant it'll scare you to death. It's unbelievable. We came here because you've got good, hardworking, white people here.' "

Like..what? I know D.C. is called Chocolate City, but where did black people are taking over wrestling start?

15 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

As I said in the hockey thread, it’s so odd to see most European futbol Countries handling this so much better than US sports. 

I think it's because those countries didn't have such a cavalier attitude towards the virus. For the most part they have recognized the threat level and acted accordingly, so their sport roll out has mirrored that thus far.

• Like 1

Literally today we have had 2 MLB teams and a hockey team have to shut down and, oh, a PGA golfer tested positive too.

But hey "Must have live sports!"

• Like 1

And to double back to the Phillies one - it technically is a full blown outbreak there as not only did the 8 members of their organization test positive but "multiple" family members have.

Nightengale just reported MLB is shutting down all Spring Training facilities in both Florida and Arizona for a deep disinfection. 

No one will be permitted re-entry without a negative COVID test. 

Also, MLB is not counteroffering the PA and will just institute a 54-60 game season on Monday if nothing else happens.  (Like shutting down all training facilities because a deadly virus is spreading like an uncontrolled wildfire...)  

• Like 3

Two players in “the Angels system” have tested positive 

The Astros had a positive test (the player apparently already recovered)

Keep staying in Florida...

One little thing for the season that will never happen

Apparently it has been agreed upon that for this season - they will adopt the "runner starts at 2nd" rule for extra innings. However there is talk they might just go ahead and accept ties.

Either way it would only be for the regular season and the playoffs would be traditional extra innings rules

45 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The Yankees and the Mets will not reopen their Spring Training facilities in Florida and will resume operations in New York City.

That be the same NY City that Andrew Cuomo is always banging on about first thing in the morning? Yeah, no COVID-19 there at all...