DVDVR Message Board

2017-2018 NCAA BASKETBALL SEASON

RIPPA

I finally got to watch the Showtime documentary "Disgraced" about the 2003 murder of Baylor star Patrick Dennehy by a Baylor teammate.  Wow if you had an awful opinion of Baylor already this will definitely make it a whole lot worse.  Dave Bliss who is a confirmed dirty coach in 2 places doing the "redemptive Christian" gimmick while talking "off the record" (which wasn't) that his story that he was a drug dealer was correct.   Fascinating and terrible stuff

The American Athletic Conference has reportedly voted unanimously to admit Wichita State.  Sounds like they could be moving as soon as next season.

This bodes poorly for the future of the MVC unless the Big 12 collapses sooner than expected and they can hoover up a couple of schools.

5 hours ago, Zimbra said:

The American Athletic Conference has reportedly voted unanimously to admit Wichita State.  Sounds like they could be moving as soon as next season.

This bodes poorly for the future of the MVC unless the Big 12 collapses sooner than expected and they can hoover up a couple of schools.

I'm not sure the other MVC schools have any other place they can go. Will be interesting to see who they select to replace Wichita State though.

Supposedly the Valley would try to poach Valpo and/or Murray State. Missouri-Kansas City could be in the mix as well and I imagine they would jump at that offer.

UMKC isn't great, but I get the sense that the MVC would like to stay geographically compact so that limits their options.

The thought of no more Shockers in Arch Madness makes me sad.

Valpo makes a lot of sense. Maybe Oakland? That one may be recency bias, admittedly. 

It's sad to think of how awesome the Missouri Valley was in the 2000s, regularly getting three and sometimes four teams in the Tournament. The Valley's been badly ravaged by realignment with Creighton and Wichita State, and coaches getting poached between Bruce Weber, Mark Turgeon, Greg McDermott, etc. 

At least it's decline makes sense. The Mountain West was awesome like four years ago, didn't lose anyone to realignment and aside from Steve Alford, wasn't losing coaches en masse. That one's just bizarre. 

10 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

UMKC isn't great, but I get the sense that the MVC would like to stay geographically compact so that limits their options.

The thought of no more Shockers in Arch Madness makes me sad.

I'm sure UMKC would like to stay geographically compact as well. Beats the insane WAC schedule if nothing else.

Milwaukee could be an interesting pick too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Just now, The Iron Yuppie said:

Bizarre press conference. Thad was definitely fired, Gene Smith was citing losing recruiting battles.  

Yeah, it's really weird and feels like on overreaction to a couple of mediocre seasons.  I wonder if all the health stuff that was out before the press conference was Matta's people trying to save face.

14 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Chris Holtmann from Butler is reportedly taking the OSU job.  8 years /$3.1M per.  Doesn't feel like much of an upgrade to me.

You tell him that. :D

• Like 1

There's a tiny private university in my neck of the woods that was trying to gain some notoriety (and money) with its insane scheduling. You may remember Saint Katherine's playing and losing to San Diego State and Utah, in consecutive nights, on the road, by 156 combined points during the 2013-'14 season. 

This is infinitely more batshit. 

ESPN has an article up about the best coaching job in each of the 50 states, and apparently forgot that Boise was a part of Idaho, and named Idaho as the best job, because there's a leaky roof at Idaho State's gym.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Pitino suspended 5 game ACC ban for the whole Louisville sex scandal stuff

A player trading his personal property for a tattoo gets you fired, an assistant coach running hoes in the dorm room, 5 game suspension.  That sounds about right.

• Like 3