DVDVR Message Board

TNA Impact Wrestling Spoilers for 9/22/16

*Taped for Xplosion: Jessie Godderz def. Marshe Rockett

TNA Impact Wrestling - Airing September 22, 2016 from Orlando, FL

*Drew Galloway def. Eddie Edwards via split decision 2 rounds to 1 to advance to the finals of the Impact Grand Championship Tournament. After the match, Drew cut a promo saying he won't get screwed with the Grand Championship rules and EC3/Lashley won't be able to follow him at BFG. EC3 interrupts. Drew says after EC3 loses to Lashley, he'd give him a shot at the Impact Grand Championship and he wouldn't last 2 rounds with him. Drew left and Lashley came out to distract EC3 allowing Mike Bennett to attack from the crowd until Moose made the save.

*Aron Rex def. Eli Drake via pinfall in round 3 to advance to the finals of the Impact Grand Championship Tournament.

*Decay out for a promo. They are sick of the Hardy games and The Great War will be the end of every last Hardy forever. The Hardys appear in the crowd. Matt says with the entire world as their battlefield, he will bludgeon them ageen and ageen until they are deleted, they will wish they were broken but they will be obsolete! The lights go out and when they come back on Broken Reby attacks Rosemary while Abyss & Crazzy Steve have been handcuffed to the ropes. Broken Matt & Brother Nero join Reby in the ring and pose with the tag team titles. Reby says after BFG, Rosemary's mother will be the one without a child.

*DJ Z def. Trevor Lee to retain the X Division Championship. After the match, Lee & Andrew Everett beat down DJ Z until Eddie Edwards made the save. Next week, DJ Z will give Edwards a shot at the title.

*Maria, Sienna, and Allie come to the ring. Maria says tonight is about her and tells Allie that nobody wants to see her then makes her sit in the corner.

*Maria Kanellis (w/ Sienna and Allie) def. Luscious Latasha in a squash. Maria said she wanted another opponent and got a masked ninja who turned out to be Gail Kim. Sienna attacked but Gail fought her off and stared down Maria.

*Ethan Carter III & Moose def. Lashley & Mike Bennett. After the match, Bennett & Moose brawl to the back while EC3 & Lashley have a pull apart brawl where they wipe out security. Billy Corgan comes out and says this is a new era for Impact so things aren't happening like this. Next week is Road to Glory live on September 29, the last show before BFG, and it will be headlined by Team Lashley vs. Team EC3 in Lethal Lockdown with the winner picking the stipulation for their match at Bound for Glory.

Billy saw the new LU trailer and decided TNA needed their own masked ninja?

Lethal Lockdown isn't a feud blowoff, but just a match to set up the stipulation for another match. Because TNA.

I wonder if the Decay match leads to the full babyface Hardy reunion, with Nero getting his name back....just in time for them jump back to the WWE.

• Like 1

CODY is Bound for Glory!

This show was mostly building up the BFG matches which were all well done. I love the build to EC3/Lashley and Bennett/Moose plus Galloway/Rex should be solid. Vanguard 1's Senor Benjamin hologram was the best and Rosemary was killing it again. Allie continues to be great in her segments with Maria. Really looking forward to BFG more than most PPVs.

I appreciate the whole aim of Impact, right now.  The idea of pushing things forward, changing the game etc.

But, man, that Maria segment was so poorly-conceived and corny.  Like when Gail Kim came out as a ninja and did these stupid kicks and hokey karate chops, including the crane, and the audience was so off-put by the whole performance that when she unmasked rather than the "Oh it's Gail Kim!" pop it was more like "What the hell was Gail Kim doing?" reaction.  Also, Maria really should have demonstrated some sort of finisher on the first woman, rather than a random bop in the ovaries followed by a pin.  It didn't even look vicious.

There's kind of a fun dynamic at the top of the card.  EC3 is facing Lashley for the title while Mike Bennett faces Moose and Drew MacIntyre faces Arron Rex.  Bennett has also made it know he wants the world title, as has Moose.  EC3 and MacIntyre have some history, recent feud, and made it known they would face each other again while Rex staked his claim for the world title but getting involved as a referee.  So, at the top you have 6 guys who are carrying their own feuds, while all making it known they're also simultaneously interested in the title.  It's a far cry from WWE where once you lose the title, you get side-tracked into feuds and never mention the world title again.  It's quite clever wrestling writing as they're balancing, in theory, a number of different feuds at once: EC3-Lashley; Moose-Bennett; MacIntyre-Rex; EC3-MacIntyre; Lashley-Moose; EC3-Bennett; EC3-Moose; MacIntyre-Lashley; Bennett-Lashley with Rex sort of being involved as well.

I'm excited for Cody's debut (Though he really needs a last name.  His middle name is Garrett.  I'd just call him Cody Garrett and let the crowd fill in the last name.  You could make it a crowd participation thing: "And you're going down, if my name isn't Cody Garrett..." and let the crowd chant "Rhodes!") but I'm also worried that all these additions (Bennett, Moose, Rex, Rhodes) over the last few months, it's pushing guys who need elevating further down the card: namely Eli Drake and Trevor Lee.  You've got wrestlers talking up both on the show (Rex complimented Drake in promos before dressing him down on TV, thought that was kind of a weak segment, truth be told); and also mentioned how good Lee was) but both were moving backwards on this show booking-wise.

Jeff is really starting to buy into this Deletion stuff which makes it a lot more fun and a far-cry from when he was supposed to be broken, but was still shouting out to his creatures and leading chants.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, caley said:

I appreciate the whole aim of Impact, right now.  The idea of pushing things forward, changing the game etc.

But, man, that Maria segment was so poorly-conceived and corny.  Like when Gail Kim came out as a ninja and did these stupid kicks and hokey karate chops, including the crane, and the audience was so off-put by the whole performance that when she unmasked rather than the "Oh it's Gail Kim!" pop it was more like "What the hell was Gail Kim doing?" reaction.  Also, Maria really should have demonstrated some sort of finisher on the first woman, rather than a random bop in the ovaries followed by a pin.  It didn't even look vicious.

There's kind of a fun dynamic at the top of the card.  EC3 is facing Lashley for the title while Mike Bennett faces Moose and Drew MacIntyre faces Arron Rex.  Bennett has also made it know he wants the world title, as has Moose.  EC3 and MacIntyre have some history, recent feud, and made it known they would face each other again while Rex staked his claim for the world title but getting involved as a referee.  So, at the top you have 6 guys who are carrying their own feuds, while all making it known they're also simultaneously interested in the title.  It's a far cry from WWE where once you lose the title, you get side-tracked into feuds and never mention the world title again.  It's quite clever wrestling writing as they're balancing, in theory, a number of different feuds at once: EC3-Lashley; Moose-Bennett; MacIntyre-Rex; EC3-MacIntyre; Lashley-Moose; EC3-Bennett; EC3-Moose; MacIntyre-Lashley; Bennett-Lashley with Rex sort of being involved as well.

I'm excited for Cody's debut (Though he really needs a last name.  His middle name is Garrett.  I'd just call him Cody Garrett and let the crowd fill in the last name.  You could make it a crowd participation thing: "And you're going down, if my name isn't Cody Garrett..." and let the crowd chant "Rhodes!") but I'm also worried that all these additions (Bennett, Moose, Rex, Rhodes) over the last few months, it's pushing guys who need elevating further down the card: namely Eli Drake and Trevor Lee.  You've got wrestlers talking up both on the show (Rex complimented Drake in promos before dressing him down on TV, thought that was kind of a weak segment, truth be told); and also mentioned how good Lee was) but both were moving backwards on this show booking-wise.

Jeff is really starting to buy into this Deletion stuff which makes it a lot more fun and a far-cry from when he was supposed to be broken, but was still shouting out to his creatures and leading chants.

Agreed that Maria's finish on Latasha was a rather odd strike instead of using something to get over as her finisher before BFG. I appreciated the segment though as I saw it done well in a local indy back in 2010 so I was reminded of that. Though the best part of the whole segment was definitely Allie and the crowd interaction. Loved Maria's speech getting drowned out by Allie chants so she makes her turn around, then the crowd cheers louder cause she turned towards them so Maria made her sit in the corner. Fantastic expressions and reactions from both.

Also agreed on the second part.. love the main event mix and am excited for Cody's debut as well. Great stuff.

Could Cody get away legally with another spelling of the name Rhodes? Like Rhoads (as in Randy Rhoads). He legally changes his name to Cody Rhoads. It's just so stupid that these guys have to be announced with one name until they can figure out what name legally they can use on television.

Since Brandi is coming to compete if I read things right, is there anything from her wrestling back in Florida? Was she any good before they made her switch to announcer?

I think CODY has been pretty clear that he's not going to do that - it would be amateur night; he gets lots of sympathy this way. 

I will be interested to see if working all his dream-matches makes him a better wrestler. He was never quite the full package in the ring.

Sandow was barely half a package, and he seems to have regressed - that Revelator looked terrible on poor old E-LI Drake.

I only watched the semi-finals of the Grand Championship tournament. Have the judges ever agreed that one guy clearly won the round, or has there always been one dissenting judge? It looked pretty stupid when the judge who voted for Edwards in the first two rounds voted for Galloway in the third, and the judge who voted for Galloway in the first two rounds voted for Edwards in the third - I mean it's not impossible, but it looked pretty hokey.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

Maria loaded up her wrist guard before nailing Latasha in the gut with her loaded foreign object.

I'm glad somebody picked up the Cowboy Bob Orton/Iron Mike Sharpe loaded cast/wrist guard gimmick. One more reason to love Maria.

• Like 1

Fair enough, but a forearm to the face would have looked a hell of a lot better. Well okay, maybe not because it's Maria I guess.

Which is the problem with Maria in this role, peeps complain about Carmella but she's a lot better in-ring than Maria ever was. I know the idea is kind of, 'Maria is the heel holding the division back' and her lack of natural ability plays into that - but it's not like they'd be having WWE calibre matches anyway (which is probably down to the agents as much as anything, but nonetheless), so really she's just the nadir of an underperforming division.

21 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

Maria loaded up her wrist guard before nailing Latasha in the gut with her loaded foreign object.

I did not see this AT ALL (Though Maria's wrestling attire might have been distracting me) but if that's the case, the announcers should maybe have been clued in/played it up a little more.

On 25/09/2016 at 10:44 AM, Sin Carne said:

I only watched the semi-finals of the Grand Championship tournament. Have the judges ever agreed that one guy clearly won the round, or has there always been one dissenting judge? It looked pretty stupid when the judge who voted for Edwards in the first two rounds voted for Galloway in the third, and the judge who voted for Galloway in the first two rounds voted for Edwards in the third - I mean it's not impossible, but it looked pretty hokey.

The problem with the scoring system is, if Judge 3 scored the first two rounds for Edwards and the last one for Galloway, she scored the fight for Edwards. But because nobody in TNA knows how 10 point must works, they total the scores after every round, rather than let you know it's all tied up on two cards, but Edwards is 2-0 on the other.

Moose's finisher is silly. A Spinning spinning Clothesline? What's that about?

So is Cody coming in to reform the Rhodes Scholars, or Dashingly Sinister?

With spinning moves, there are some Wrestlers who make it look like they're adding a lot of power and momentum to a strike. And there are others where it looks like they're going "Huh? Where'd the guy go? Oh, there he is! Lunge!". And because Moose is doing the Rainmaker set-up and spinning his opponent, but then releasing the wristlock and spinning himself as well, he's pretty much guaranteed to lose the guy.

E-Li Drake's Snapmare kneestrike into spinning Clothesline has looked shit a few times, because nobody knows how many backwards steps to take while selling the knee. But Moose's is worse. Also, why have two new guys who both do shortarm clotheslines as finishers? Just steal moves off the guys who left the company, they aren't using them.  

Luke Harper's discus clothesline looks like it would decapitate you, but pre-injury Harper has been one of the best workers in the world, regardless of size. I do wish he'd go into the Brodie Lee aresenal and use the Truck Stop (Boss Man Slam).