DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R1: KOTA IBUSHI vs. CHRIS MASTERS

KOTA IBUSHI vs. CHRIS MASTERS  

90 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

Voted Ibushi, but I really enjoyed that Masters/Thatcher match. Will be voting for Thatcher (and Busick for that matter) as long as I can. 

Ibushi gets my vote for the Nakamura match alone.  But he's been pretty fun to watch.  It's great Masters has been improving since WWE let him go, but it's not enough to warrant a vote.

I have never been an Ibushi fan and I love Masters.  But Masters is probably the least deserving guy in this tournament, and Ibushi - in terms of output at least - was probably the best worker in the World for the first 2 months of 2015.  Yes he was the worst guy in both the Harashima and Nakamura singles matches, but those could be my 1 and 2 MOTYs at this point.  He was also in arguably the best six-man so far this year (I don't rate it that high, but I've seen people do so), and some other underrated stuff along the way.  Last year the Ishii match was better than anything Masters has done in years.  And even though I thought it was overrated, the match v. Ricochet was probably the best Ricochet match I saw all year.  

If this was Ibushi v. Shaun Tempers, I'd vote for Tempers, but Masters didn't have anything close to a Tempers level year

• Like 1

If this match up had happened any time in the past 5 years aside from this 12 month voting period, I would've voted for Masters. Ibushi is a guy that has historically been annoying, but has actually had good matches this year. Masters is a guy that is always pretty great, but doesn't have the output that I think we have all grown accustomed to. Begrudging vote for Ibushi. 

Curiously, Masters has become a bit of an ever present in the UK in the last 12 months. Had good-great matches at PCW's Road To Glory last year, beating Cyanide, Chris Hero, Joey Hayes and Dave Mastiff en route to winning the tournament, plus a fun match with Jeckel at PWC and a really good match with Joseph Connors in SWE.

Yeah - I searched for the Mastiff one to post but I couldn't find it online

The Hero match is online - I think Matt posted it when making the case for Masters in the nomination thread. I was kinda indifferent on that one.

Kota is something like a mortal enemy of mine, so I can't bring myself to vote for him even if I have to admit he had good-to-great matches in the voting period.

I feel the same way as you and many others in this thread: don't like (sometimes hate) Ibushi's style but he's had so many good matches despite that. He's also gotten a little bit better in harnessing his goofy shit.

Will check out the Masters matches but they'd have to be mighty special for me to vote for him.

I've never really understood the Masters love, and after watching the Timothy Thatcher match I still don't.  He wrestles like a midcarder from the 80s, and while I love a lot of that stuff it doesn't really fit my tastes for modern wrestling. 

Ibushi is in my match of the year so far, and that is really all the justification I need to vote for him over Masters.

I like Masters but I voted for Ibushi. His matches against Nak, Ricochet, Okada, Ishii, and Honma were all really good - great. He's an amazing high flyer, but I like how he changes it up whenever he's fighting a heavyweight. I don't think he performed a single dive in his WK match.

The match against Kushida is the most uncomfortable I've felt watching wrestling last year, and it's too bad he had to miss the G1 because of it (but a blessing in disguise for Honma, obviously)

I remember liking Masters' matches against Hero and Thatcher but neither bout blew me away. 

Kota Ibushi hung out with me and my friends at Hockeytown, is an awesome human being, and I seriously believe he slept with my co-worker, Karla.   I cannot vote against this man.