DVDVR Message Board

The What Are You Watching Thread

jaedmc

I just turned on CMLL and Shocker vs. El Terrible is in progress. Terrible catches Shocker and hangs him like he's gonna Ganso Bomb him and locks his legs behind his arms for this faceplant move. Shocker TUCKS HIS HEAD AT THE LAST MINUTE and takes a horrific bump that looks like an instant stinger. Then, he gets up like nothing happened. They replay it and it's so gross. After the match he wants a hair apuestas... I've got a better idea, how about if Shocker loses he has to wear a shirt? Those tits of his are enormous these days.

you may have just suggested a new kind of match. Could go both ways. Could have a rudo wanting a match where the better looking tecnico wouldn't be able to wrestle shirtless any more.

Also, this is slightly off the topic, but judging by the two men involved, i'd be disappointed if this match wasn't good (haven't seen it, it's not online, but here's the promo video):

Also, love the use of "When Will They Shoot" at the end. But this was one of Finlay's last matches before he returned to the WWE as an agent

Doink/Owen vs Gunns was a lot of fun and I don't think too many people have seen it. Doink is sort of a chaotic neutral babyface that the crowd loves. Owen is a pissant heel. Dink is on the apron. Gunns are bemused by the whole situation. I wouldn't say that hilarity ensues but what does ensue is certainly amusing.

Pretty good handheld of Steamboat/Douglas vs. Liger/Sasaki from a Schneider comp was just watched. Crowd is pretty pro-Liger, and whoever was next to the camera is VERY anti-Shane with lots of loud insults (and "WHOOOOO"ing from her as well). Which I can see in a couple years, but here he acquits himself well. Liger and Kensuke were a really cool power guy + high flyer combo, taking out Shane's legs and busting out some great offense. Shane and Steamer took the prize here though with about ten quick tags where each guy would blast Sasaki's arm over the top rope. I'm not a fan of handhelds but this was just peachy. 

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xigj7q_wwe-breakdown-vader-vs-bradshaw-falls-count-anywhere-match_sport

I was looking at Vader's 1998 where he was jobbed out to everyone from Val Venis to a young Edge and saw this. It's not anything much, but a solid little brawl. Bradshaw hits a half dozen or so burly fucking lariats. Crowd is dead the whole time. It's the last time Vader would appear on WWF PPV before being relegated to house shows and Sunday Night Heat. He bumps around for Bradshaw who does his second-rate Hansen clone shit. The lariats towards the end are really fucked up. Worth 8 minutes if you're a fan of these guys.

Just watched a AAA dark match

Super Fly / Aerostar / Venum / Ludxor vs Gran Apache / Black Mamba / Carta Brava Jr. / El Fresero Jr. - one fall

Going to Lucha Wiki to help you decipher who is who here for the totally unfamilar. Venum (green) was Lucky Boy. Super Fly (fly mask) and Aerostar (blue/red mask) have been aligned for awhile. The current Ludxor (black mask with an L) doesn't have a bio but the old one does. On the side of evil. Gran Apache has the Indian headdress. Black Mamba is an exotic man. Carta Brava is a masked man. Fresero Jr looks like Pitbull and tosses money in his intro,

So anyways, rudo triple/quad-teaming spots. groin shots, lots of various stereo dives.. then..

after some teasing of tension, Super Fly turns heel on Aerostar and the bad guys win. Apparently this is the 3rd time Super Fly has turned heel on Aerostar, because Aerostar might be a bit slow

• Like 1

CMLL just showed clips of Tiger Mask vs. Fishman. I hope that was one of the matches that got left off the lucha set*. 

They also showed (I believe as I am not watching again) this, which I came in on halfway through the first fall. 

I really don't know who any of these guys are but coming in blind on it was really cool. Maybe it's watching the set but this feels really old-school, they open up with a good stretch of matwork and build to the rudo beatdown in the second fall. Disturbio looks like a Mexican Rhyno and hits a knee in the corner that had to loosen Starman's molars. Hopefully this is the same match as it was an unexpectedly fun little ride. 

* because if it kicks ass I'd be pissed

I'll have to get back to you next month on that one since my net time is slaughtered, but thanx for the heads-up.

I am way out of my depth trying to comment on undercard CMLL so if the match I posted is really rudimentary to some, let me know what's wrong with it. Right now my jaw is hanging at the fact that Ultimo Guerrero is still eating shit as a base for guys half his age. And he still has cooler gear!

EDIT: nevermind he's not THAT old

It's not really anything special I guess, but Hijo del Signo and Disturbio are a really solid pair of lower midcard rudos and if they feel motivated then they're a ton of fun to watch dismantle some skinny assholes in bad masks.

It seems like almost no one on this board watches modern lucha. I've taken to WKO lately to talk about lucha but I'm always wishing there was more discussion over here.

Just found this awesome match on Youtube by pure coincidence and had to watch it immediately.

Jun Akiyama & Makoto Hashi vs. Freddy Krueger & The Boogie Man (IWA Japan 10/27/2003)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_fsRgW8Q5E

I had no idea this match even existed, don't think I've ever seen it before. This is worth a watch just for the obscurity.

This was back when NOAH was at it's heyday and Makoto Hashi was still awesome.

There's some fun brawling outside and Krueger & the Boogie Man (neither related to the Boogeyman nor the Boogie Woogie Man) also get some help from a midget that randomly interferes. Good stuff.

I still try and catch CMLL now that I know it's on Fox Deportes. It sucks that the feed is months behind because I could be drooling over some Negro Casas, Virus, and Blue Panther right now on free TV. Guess I'll finally get to see AAA for the first time in years now that it's on that El Rey channel (when is that starting airing anyway?). 

If you dig that IWA Japan match check that guy's folder, if it's the same dude I remember he has some crazy weird matches on there. I'm talking some seriously WAR-esque matchups. 

Planning on watching the CWF Atlantic February 2014 show tonight.  The main event features a 65 minute match featuring Andrew Everett and Trevor Lee.   everett is one of the best up and coming high flyers in the US and Trevor Lee really needs to start blowing up in other areas becuase he probably should be more noticed.   Look forward to seeing it.

• Like 1

So I looked up that guy MuttonAndTheHam's Youtube profile. Here's a few of the things I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YGUYkrBrh8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ceWh6UftnY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFJObNk-VhI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v5ecyQL-Y4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi9Z9CiXzr0

If that isn't enough weird fucking matches to watch then I don't know what is. Everything else on his profile belongs in the "Matches That Bring Out Your Inner Ghoul" thread

I found full episodes of early Impact of Spike starting with the debut. I just finished watching the two hour Thursday special. There has been some great wrestling and it does feel like a different product then the WWE. It feels like a true alternative its a shame what happened, but for this one hour shows there is a lot of shit happing run ins, guys coming down to ring to distract people, guys coming to the commentators table during a match to announce a match for the next week, it seems like every match has some kind of over booked finish and it seems like somebody blades atleast once a week. There is alot of good shit too, there also being a reason for the camera backstage is a really nice touch its refreshing even watching TV. Monty Brown is fire on the mic and is super over (besides the one guy who yells shut up during his promos), Joe is still a badass, The X division is at its peak, Team Canada is gold, The Planet Jarrett stuff isnt as annoying as I remember, Its still ridiculous and over booked at times but Jarrett plays Memphis heel so great and the Impact Zone hates him, Abyss and Sabu are starting afued with just involves both man beating the shit out of each other as neither man talks. Its just fun old school southern wrasslin' its pretty fun to watch.

Yeah if you got the time, definitely check out the 65 minute Trevor Lee vs Andrew Everett 2 out of 3 falls match from CWF Mid Atlantic.   This match really does have everything with insane flippy action,  Trevor Lee kneeing and kicking the shit out of people,  solid mat work in the beginning.  

I would think if more people watch it then it could be up there in the match of the year candidates:

http://ondemand.cwf247.com/?p=1242

• Like 2

I'll be honest, I rewatched the Outsiders v. Local Strippers match from the 2nd Russo Nitro (October 1999).

(Why? well, one of the 3 strippers was mentioned in the Wikipedia on Polypropylene Breast Implants, which are truly one of the more preposterous ideas that was legal for awhile)