DVDVR Message Board

2014 NCAAF: Week 7

Dolfan in NYC

I think one of these Mississippi teams is going down this week in the wake of their big Moment last week. I'd guess Ole Miss. They seemed much more fortunate to win against Bama, as opposed to MSU, who has just been clubbering people. Plus, they're gonna have to do it on the road.

I've got MSU over Auburn. Auburn's flying high after clubbering LSU, but that overlooks the fact that this is the worst LSU team since...I don't even remember when. I'm not sure that win means what it usually does. MSU has the beef upfront to stop Auburn's run, which isn't even close to what it was last year to begin with, and force Auburn to throw with Marshall, who is still garbage. They may hit some plays, but in the end, that's gonna come out in your favor.

I'm gonna be wearing out my remote at 3:30 today, that's for sure.

Except they didn't really play well for 2 1/2 to 3 quarters, but Alabama let them hang around long enough that they could make some things happen and win at the end. They did almost nothing substantial on offense until the 4th quarter. And Bama went pretty much up and down the field on them, with only missed FGs and crucially timed penalties and the like keeping them off the board, until Kelly went out and it went to hell.

I'm not taking anything away from them, but when you play as sub-par as Ole Miss did for most of the game and still win...you were a little bit fortunate.

I mean, as an example: the 1st drive after Kelly went out, Bama had to blow 2 timeouts because the backup center didn't know what he was doing. What did that have to do with Ole Miss playing well? How different might the final minutes have been if Kelly hadn't gone out and they still had one, maybe even both, of those timeouts? We'll never know of course, but it was undeniably a fortunate break - sprain, as it were - for the Rebs.

I would say not making crucial mistakes is a part of playing well. Ole Miss capitalized and made the plays at the end that they needed to make. I think A&M will put up some points though so it should be a good one.  I have LSU over the Gators today. Maybe low scoring.. I can't see the Gators getting much done on offense even though LSU's D isn't nearly what is usually is. 

Except they didn't really play well for 2 1/2 to 3 quarters, but Alabama let them hang around long enough that they could make some things happen and win at the end. They did almost nothing substantial on offense until the 4th quarter. And Bama went pretty much up and down the field on them, with only missed FGs and crucially timed penalties and the like keeping them off the board, until Kelly went out and it went to hell.

I'm not taking anything away from them, but when you play as sub-par as Ole Miss did for most of the game and still win...you were a little bit fortunate.

I mean, as an example: the 1st drive after Kelly went out, Bama had to blow 2 timeouts because the backup center didn't know what he was doing. What did that have to do with Ole Miss playing well? How different might the final minutes have been if Kelly hadn't gone out and they still had one, maybe even both, of those timeouts? We'll never know of course, but it was undeniably a fortunate break - sprain, as it were - for the Rebs.

I honestly wonder if Gus uses Johnson a little more today. State's pass defense is atrocious, and our line play is still suspect.

I thought we still looked a little rocky against an abysmal LSU team. They were able to move the ball some despite failing on third down, and we struggled with creating havoc or turnovers with our front.

I honestly wonder if Gus uses Johnson a little more today. State's pass defense is atrocious, and our line play is still suspect.

I thought we still looked a little rocky against an abysmal LSU team. They were able to move the ball some despite failing on third down, and we struggled with creating havoc or turnovers with our front.

Yeah, I think if Auburn is going to play for championships this year, they need to play Johnson more, if not full-time. Without Robinson and Prosch, the run game hasn't been dominant enough to where they can just run for 300 automatically on everybody and get away with only throwing 12 times. And I just don't think Marshall is a good enough passer to win games where the run game isn't happening. Sammie Coates probably has nightmares where he's infinitely running across an open field while Marshall passess are sailing over his head.

K-State had him where they wanted him, but they had their own Nick Marshall playing QB. Eventually, they're going to run into somebody who won't let them off the hook for his passing. That might be MSU today.

And I dunno, maybe that's what Auburn needs - somebody to beat them so they have an excuse to play Johnson more.

I don't think Nick Chubb will hold up in this game. The most carries he's had all season is 10 and he has gotten the ball on virtually every play this quarter.

Maty Mauk probably needs to stop turning the ball over, too.

I know that Louisiana-Monroe isn't a bad team, but Kentucky shouldn't be down 2 scores at home to them after beating SoCar there last week.

I think they bought into their press clippings this week.

Edit: KY is winning now after a Pick 6. So order restored... I guess.