DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Read a good chunk of Bendis' Powers through the hardcovers.  I found it entertaining for the most part, and it jumps right into the story from the beginning, which I usually prefer over long explanatory introductions.  I do think it's sometimes unnecessarily graphic, and he did the  "superhero team falls apart" arc one too many times for my tastes.  I'll probably read the next volume when it hits my library.

Also read this:

Boxers_Saints_Books_550x406.jpg

"Boxers & Saints by Gene Luen Yang is an innovative new graphic novel in two volumes - the parallel stories of two young people caught up on opposite sides of a violent rift. American Born Chinese author Gene Luen Yang brings his clear-eyed storytelling and trademark magical realism to the complexities of the Boxer Rebellion and lays bare the foundations of extremism, rebellion, and faith."

Look these up, especially the Boxers volume.  Good reads.

All the IMAGE news is exciting especially this:

Last was Brubaker. He joined Stephenson on stage and revealed that he and his Fatale co-creator Sean Phillips had signed an unprecedented deal with the publisher, such that they will have total freedom to publish any projects they like, as well as total creative control, over the next five years through Image. Following the conclusion of Fatale with issue #24, the two will launch The Fade Out, a title he says is “loosely based on things that happened in Hollywood in the ’40s.

This should lead to good things.

I really liked Powers at that start, but faded after maybe four or five arcs, around the time of the monkey/2001 issue.

Trivia: the cover of the Warren Ellis issue was going originally going to be used for an issue of my magazine. When an issue got delayed, bendis and/or oeming decided to use it for an issue of powrrs.

I like it a lot through that arc, but the stuff after that, with*

Super powers being outlawed

really didn't work for me.  The stop and go relaunches at Marvel since then have been okay, although I think I'm several months behind again, assuming it's actually been coming out...

Supergroup with FG3 is one of my favorite comic arcs ever, fwiw.

*Spoiled because I have no clue how far MJ has read.

-Yeah, I read through that arc,Fowler.  I read up to Pilgrim's redemption arc, which I thought was good but ended way too clean and easy. 

-I'm not uptight about reading spoilers;I already checked wikipedia to see where the story is heading after the 25 Coolest Dead Superheroes arc, but thanks for the tags anyway.  Powers is collected in these massive hardcovers, so it was pretty easy to breeze through it. 

-I like that the FG3 arc was inspired by The Fugees drama.

-I enjoy the mystique surrounding Walker's character.  The Green Lantern thing intrigued me and it'll get me to read the next volume.

Classic G.I. Joe Volumes 11 & 12. The ninja stuff isn't quite as fun, but still enjoyable with interesting directions. The mini-war with Cobra was interesting. Cobra was much more competent than usual and you ended up with a good deal of Joe dying including some names like Quick-Kick and Doc. Wasn't big on the prelude issue as I felt the death weren't well done, especially in the case of Doc. That said I enjoyed the actual issues with the war. The deaths were generally well done there with a good weight being felt in several stories. I do think things were cut short a bit with how fast it was all over. Feels like there should have been a year's worth of issues on that one. Cobra Commander vs. Destro wasn't too bad with its fun moments though it felt like it was moving a bit more to Cobra Commander of the old which is a little disappointing because I like how CC has been more competent and devious with his return. Fun reads overall with an interesting shift in Hama's writing as things become a bit more serious at times. it was starting beforehand in volumes 9 & 10, but you can really shift in these two volumes. I'm curious how long Hama can keep it up.

Hack/Slash Omnibus 3. The stuff with the Black Lamp Society and Samhein was generally solid and interesting enough. I'm actually curious to see what more they do with Samhein with the bad things of his past you see him doing coming back later on. I like the idea of Cassie's and Georgia's relationship though it disappoints me every time seeing poor Georgia jerked around by Cassie. Cassie's outward reasons are understandable, but at times it feels like its more Casie's own fear of having a proper normal relationship and not knowing how to deal with Vlad. The Mary Shelley Lovecraft stuff was weird, but I can't deny enjoying the conclusion with the return to the Archie-esque land. The superhero arc was good fun despite the darker end to it. I do love how it was built up with the radio announcer's constant supernatural and SKK talk. Wasn't biggest fan of the two non-Seeley stories involving Cassie, but they weren't too bad. The Living Corps story though was completely fucked up with the way it ended.

Damn.  My library had the first two trades of SAGA available(1-12 issues) and I couldn't resist, despite all my whining about waiting until it's finish.  I wasn't sure I was going to dig a story about parenthood and relationships even from Brian K. Vaughan, but of course, it's working for me so far.  Vaughan's dialogue in SAGA is better than in Y:The Last Man or at least more mature.

I know Vaughan wants to keep it within the comic world(no films), but I can't see them not at least making a video game out of the thing. 

I think I'm going to read Vaughan's Runaways run next.

Runaways was a great book that if you told me what it was about I wouldn't think I would like it, but ended up loving it once I gave it a chance.

There's been some good Dark horse releases lately. Loving Conan and the insane horror comics archives that have been coming out. I've been doing some reviews on eatgeekplay.com under my real name, Casey Nielsen, and I've been latching onto all their stuff since they're the ones putting out the weird stuff I like to read.

• Like 1

There's a sick Vault of Horror archive that was coming out this week but got pushed to next week. I reviewed it for Eatgeekplay.com, so that should go up closer to release.

Also reviewed Conan: Phantoms of the Black Coast, an original graphic novel that KICKS ASS. Has a little bit of everything that makes Conan awesome, and it covers the period where Conan is the king of Aquilonia. That'll probably post today.

Creepy Archives Vol 18 drops next week.  I wish they had cheaper versions of these archive books - if you had the whole set you'd be down $900 by now.

A person not troubled by the ethical dilemma of piracy could find all of those online. :)

Dredd: Mega-City Two: City of Courts #2 is out. I reviewed the comic; I dig it as a quasi-travelogue of an unfamiliar locale in the Dredd universe.

I plan on sending questions to Leah Moore & John Reppion for an interview, but I can't think of good ones since they've done many interviews about their upcoming Vikings comic for 2000 AD. I'll take suggestions, but please nothing about Leah's dad because I don't want to look like a fanboy. Also, they've covered that topic on their website FAQ.

Up through Harbinger Wars, I am still getting solid mileage out of most of Valiant 3.0. I think I'm gonna try to catch up on Bloodshot, A&A and Harbinger over the next month or two. I'm in less of a hurry to get curent on the other books, but I'm having enough fun that if they continue to do a big sale every 3-4 months I shall make it eventually.

3636295-valiant_first_poster.jpg

So Valiant announced six upcoming new titles as part of the "Valiant First Initiative." Rai is the only ongoing out of the six so it's not like they're expanding their amount of titles that much. I just wish they went with the $2.99(drop to $1.99 digital a month after) price point instead of the $3.99(drop to $2.99 price point) because it would make me a lot more likely to possibly pick up one or two titles on a monthly basis instead of just binge buying every time they have a massive sale.

Do they not have the rights to Magnus Robot Fighter anymore?

Magnus, Dr. Solar and Turok are at Dynamite now.

I don't really get the "do #1s for Harbinger, Bloodshot and XO" thing, but I am inordinately excited for Delinquents.

I think the Armor Hunters stuff for Harbinger and Bloodshot are just going to be minis.  I know that the Armor Hunters book itself's going to be a 4 issue.  Really looking forward to Delinquents, and I'm interested in Dr. Mirage, too because I really liked the concept of the old one.