DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Been doing some of the big name indie (or indieish) stuff of late.

Finally read Irredeemable and Incorruptible all the way through.  I'd read the first half or so of Irredeemable before, had never read any of Incorruptible.  Really good work, and a nice job of stepping way out of his comfort zone for Mark Waid. 

Then I re-read/read all of Powers up through the current issue of Bureau.  Which reminds me, Bendis and Oeming basically did Irredeemable in a single arc years ago, with The Sell Outs.  Also, Supergroup remains one of the best arc I've ever read in any comic.  I don't think the book ever fully recovered from the big shake up they did with the jump to Icon, but I am kind of digging the new status quo, plus, holy fuck, the book is actually coming out on time now, which is mind-blowing. 

My local comic shop was having a pretty good sale on the 4th of July weekend, unfortunately they didn't have anything I particularly needed/wanted at the time. I was going through a long box and found Honour Among Punks the Complete Baker Street Graphic Novel by Guy Davis & Gary Reed. It's kind of an Elseworlds sort of take on Sherlock Holmes as a female punk. Interesting & fun read for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Then I re-read/read all of Powers up through the current issue of Bureau.  Which reminds me, Bendis and Oeming basically did Irredeemable in a single arc years ago, with The Sell Outs.  Also, Supergroup remains one of the best arc I've ever read in any comic.  I don't think the book ever fully recovered from the big shake up they did with the jump to Icon, but I am kind of digging the new status quo, plus, holy fuck, the book is actually coming out on time now, which is mind-blowing. 

I saw about six "Definitive Collection Volumes" of the POWERS series at the library and I was tempted to start the series with them.  I held off on grabbing them because I wanted to look up and see if Bendis/Oeming had an ending set in mind.  So what do you think of the series?  I've heard some of the arcs aren't perfect, but the majority of the series is a good read.

I also picked up the first volume of The Manhattan Projects on a whim.  I want to see if I'm into Jonathan Hickman's writing style since I hear a fair amount of praise for his comics.

I saw about six "Definitive Collection Volumes" of the POWERS series at the library and I was tempted to start the series with them.  I held off on grabbing them because I wanted to look up and see if Bendis/Oeming had an ending set in mind.  So what do you think of the series?  I've heard some of the arcs aren't perfect, but the majority of the series is a good read.

I've read the first one of those, Not sure it really needs to have a big ending in mind since it stood alone pretty well. Definitely a worthwhile series. If nothing else, Warren Ellis' guest appearance is good for a laugh.

• Like 1

I vaguely recall Bendis saying years ago that he knew exactly how Powers ends, but had no intention of getting there anytime soon.

The first couple years of the book are tremendous, with Supergroup being one of my all-time favorite stories in comics.  After that, it's been less consistent, but still generally quite good.

• Like 1

I will still take Jinx and Goldfish.

I never read those, but I remember really loving Torso. Never got around to Powers aswell for some reason.

I'd probably say his Daredevil run was the best thing he's ever done.

Oh yeah, Scarlett.  There has only been 6 or 7 issues for it, right?  I wanted to check it out awhile back, but I forgot about it.  I'm not big into superhero books so I don't think I have read anything from Bendis.  However, I'm a sucker for Spider-Man so I'll probably give Ultimate Spider-Man and Powers a try.

I read the first trade of Hickman's Manhattan Projects and the premise is pretty neat.  I actually didn't love it as much as I thought I would (I think I'm tired of the evil twin thing and I felt some of the characters were neglected) but it's good.  It's historical fiction so it's cool to research the characters and some of the events in the story.

I also read Chris Ware's Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth.  This story is depressing as hell.  Fine piece of work and I get all the praise, but man, I feel lousy.

Jimmy Corrigan lost me at the point where they did a pause to call the audience stupid for not getting something that had been, to that point, inadequately explained. It just felt inordinately smug and totally threw me out of the story. It's solid enough for what it is, but I feel it's way overhyped all said.

• Like 1

I think you're talking about the 2-page summary near the beginning, right?  I did appreciate the summary because there were clearly ideas I wasn't understanding at the start of the novel.  I think Ware added it in because other readers were in the same boat as me.  Plus, the story was serialized weekly in a newspaper before being collected as a novel so I wonder if they added that part in just for the graphic novel.

Waid bought a comic store.

http://thrillbent.com/blog/mark-waid-comics-retailer/

Funny since he used to come to captain blue hen's wilmington store when he lived in Philly and i ran the store for a little while, so would see him every week. As i recall, he bought mainly indy books, since he got big two comps.

• 2 weeks later...

We talked about Grant Morrison and his work for a bit, so how about Warren Ellis next?I just finished NextWave.  I know it's Marvel, but it might as well be a non-big two work since it's on the lower end of the totem pole.  Not something I would normally read, but I thought it was fun for what it was: an action adventure comic about a ragtag team with a bunch of humor (that didn't always land) packed in.  Quick read.  I like the occassional references to the bigger named superheroes too.  Ellis is good at namedrops/shoutouts.

Read Planetary awhile back.  I'm on board with the praise for it.  I didn't get all the quantum physics and time travel stuff, which is why I want to reread it in the future.  I enjoyed the concept of the Four, especially the dissension within the group.  I think I may had some issues with Ellis' pacing and I think I cared more about the overall arc than the mini ones, but it's been awhile.  The 4th man revealed wasn't super shocking to me.  I think it may had crossed my mind at one point, but I dismissed it. I certainly wouldn't say "I called it".

Transmetropolitan is next up on my Ellis' list.  I don't mind spoilers especially for old work (we have anti-spoiler technology on this board anyway) so there's plenty of his work to talk about in here.

Someone should do the math and determine the cost of buying everything in the $30 Valiant Starter Bundle versus buying them this week one at a time.  The latter will obviously be cheaper, but how much?

I bought said bundle, so will probably just get Q&W 1 and 2.

Buying the contents of the Starter Bundle individually with the 99 cents sale would save someone $9.20