DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 6/6/14

victor

The problem with NXT is that they aren't willing to redo stuff. You guys say Emma got over organically by essentially not being self aware and being a bit of a malcoord. They brought her up and she was just a malcoord. There was no beginning of the gimmick she just is what she became in NXT. They shoukd be redoing it all again for the main roster using NXT as the dry run.

Nothing survives the WWE writing team. 

• Like 1

FSW is completely right.  Like just for instance, take Emma's entrance.  The first time she did the skin the cat into the ring, she didn't actually make it.  Second time and every time after she did make it into the ring but the crowd was invested since they had seen her fail.  The main show never saw that failure so all they see is this girl struggle to get into the ring every time and not get that it was actually a success.  They also haven't seen 'the ditz' turn up the submission knob and tie someone in a knot which is what makes the character actually work.  She's just Santino's counterpart and its made her dull.

She was actually a heel the first time out. She was annoyed with the fans and frustrated thinking they'd laugh at her, and then when they started to get behind her, she seemed downright bewildered by it. It was pretty well done.

I watch Raw every week and check out Smackdown when spoilers look good, though, so I wouldn't say I'm not tuned into the current product or don't care about debuts.  And I probably would have watched Payback if it weren't for Game of Thrones.  I certainly would have watched it if Bryan was healthy.

I'll also go back and watch NXT highlights of someone like Emma that causes a stir when she appears.  Just between a weekly diet of Raw, the occasional Smackdown, 2-4 hours of older wrestling, 3 hours of Austin's podcast and an unpredictable mix of Jericho and Colt's shows, NXT just doesn't fit in the schedule.  Gotta draw the line somewhere.  Surely I'm not alone in enjoying what the WWE is doing right now but having no desire to watch NXT. 

Emma sort of exists in a vacuum. The other characters who had some sort of character development during their NXT run before coming up were The Wyatts and Bo Dallas. The Wyatts are really over and have been terrific. Bo's only been around for a few weeks but, so far, has been a lot of fun. Everyone else who came up is essentially the same character they were in NXT -- Adam Rose wasn't in NXT all that long; Rusev changed a manager but that's about it; Paige has always been what she is. Emma's the only real NXT character who got over with the audience because you saw her arc. You don't need to see NXT to get The Wyatts or Bo, but if you want to go back and see what they did, it's fine.

I love Emma but she looks like she'd rather see a loved one be autopsied than be on Raw or SD every week. It's tough to get into someone when they look like they'd rather be doing anything else.

I agree. For all the criticism Kofi gets for just being happy to be there...at least he's happy to be there.

Emma sort of exists in a vacuum. The other characters who had some sort of character development during their NXT run before coming up were The Wyatts and Bo Dallas. The Wyatts are really over and have been terrific. Bo's only been around for a few weeks but, so far, has been a lot of fun. Everyone else who came up is essentially the same character they were in NXT -- Adam Rose wasn't in NXT all that long; Rusev changed a manager but that's about it; Paige has always been what she is. Emma's the only real NXT character who got over with the audience because you saw her arc. You don't need to see NXT to get The Wyatts or Bo, but if you want to go back and see what they did, it's fine.

I think it's been fairly hit or miss, as in, they miss such ridiculous things. They took the 5 Count away from Big E. They do the stage dive thing with Rose but not timed right to his music. It's as if they want to push the music in itself instead of the "Heys?" maybe, but honestly, that's almost giving it too much thought. Paige is completely neutered. Her NXT gimmick was basically that she was the Fit Finlay of divas and whenever you heard her music, you were going to bounce into Mad Max post-apocalyptic land and someone was going to get fucked up. There's none of that now. 

Why would someone suffer through Raw and not watch NXT when're NXT is so much better?

Because watching Raw is just something you do.  It takes you to Summerslam, the Rumble and 'Mania.  I'm sure NXT is great, but I usually have fun keeping up with the main shows and again, it'd be a bit much to watch it all. 

And the point of all this wasn't to shit on NXT, but just to point out that I think my mentality as far as the Network goes is probably fairly common and that, yes, they shouldn't be afraid to retread angles or do a better job explaining things.

Why would someone suffer through Raw and not watch NXT when're NXT is so much better?

This.  If I had to choose one wrestling show to watch, it would be NXT.  It almost reminds me of old school, pre-Nitro WCW Saturday Night.

• Like 1