DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: AL SNOW

RIPPA

One of my childhood friends named one of the wrestlers in his action figure fantasy league "Shinobi" (in reference to Al Snow's one-off stint as Shinobi).

I also recall that it seemed surprising that Snow didn't beat Shane Douglas in 1998, but they were calling him back to the WWF to do... essentially not much, in all reality. Pretty much most of Al Snow's real value in the WWF was with Steve Blackman, and I can't recall him really doing much worthwhile after that.

Al Snow was so weird. He did a lot of really fun things like Smokey Mountain and The New Rockers. Loved his match in ECW vs. Benoit. But the ECW Head stuff was ugh. His WWF stuff after was also so bland, although I sort of did like Head Cheese.

What an up and down career.

Al Snow was so weird. He did a lot of really fun things like Smokey Mountain and The New Rockers. Loved his match in ECW vs. Benoit. But the ECW Head stuff was ugh. His WWF stuff after was also so bland, although I sort of did like Head Cheese.

What an up and down career.

That's kinda how I feel.  Snow's obviously a smart guy, clearly knows more about wrestling than we ever will, and explicitly puts more passion and effort into his work than just about anybody.  Yet the results were a big pile of meh, more often than not.  Admittedly a lot of that is due to horrible booking; you could've stuck Johhny Valentine and The Destroyer into that Kennel From Hell match and it still would've been the lamest thing ever.  But things like his little heel run against Foley in '99 should've been way more fun than they actually were.  

One thing I think turns people off Snow is how legitimately angry and hostile he often seems whenever he's not doing comedy.  He's got that sort of "WHY WON'T ANYONE LISTEN TO ME, I SPEAK THE GOSPEL TRUTH!" fanatical quality that drives away listeners regardless of the content of his message.  Especially in that infamous shoot interview where he insists that there's only one "pop" on any wrestling show; I get his meaning, he's talking about that one moment in the night where the crowd loves something SO much that nothing can possibly follow it, but he kept insisting on his own hair-splitting semantics and it made everyone dismiss his point entirely.