DVDVR Message Board

2024 - IN MEMORIAM - MOVIES & TV

RIPPA

Glynis Johns passed away at the age of 100 today

She was nominated for an Oscar in 1960 for the best supporting actress category for her performance in The Sundowners.

She won a Tony for A Little Night Music

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I was thinking "David Soul, where do I remember that name" and then "oh yeah, it's because I just read this" 

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/OuoAAOSwfYpj-Xuw/s-l960.png

R.I.P. to David Soul.

Salem's Lot is one of my greatest Made For TV movies of all time.

P.S. I giggle that there are marks willing to pay what they do for back issues of CInefantastique.

Anna Strasberg passed away at the age of 84

While she did some acting, Strasberg is most known for being the inheritor of Marilyn Monroe's estate (through a couple of steps)

Monroe died at age 36 on Aug. 4, 1962, and in her will left 75 percent of her physical property and IP rights to her acting coaches, Actors Studio legend Lee Strasberg and his second wife, Paula, who would die in 1966. Lee married Anna a year later.

With Lee’s death in February 1982, Anna inherited the Monroe estate. She hired CMG Worldwide to represent the late actress, and the licensing agency would generate tens of millions of dollars in revenue and profits from commercial endeavors off Monroe. (Other CMG clients included the estates of Natalie Wood and James Dean.)

Drew Barrymore is actually Anna Strasberg's goddaughter

Adan Canto - one of the leads in both The Cleaning Lady and Designated Survivor - passed away at the age of 42 due appendiceal cancer

Didn't know she was in Fingers. That's been on my DVR for awhile (unless I erased it). Harvey Keitel has an early role as the lead, who's a pianist and I think ends up a murderer or something. It sounded bizarre and, as they wrote, intense. 

EDIT: Yep, I got it. The description is "A pianist is torn between musical ambition and loyalty to his gangster father." It's from '78, so yeah, real early for Keitel.

Edited by Curt McGirt

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

James Toback

Jesus fucking Christ

Spoiler

In 2018, the Los Angeles Times reported that 395 women had accused Toback of sexual harassment or assault over a 40-year period. Toback denied all the allegations.[3][4] In 2022, thirty-eight women filed a lawsuit in New York accusing him of sexual abuse.[5]