DVDVR Message Board

2024 Puroresu General Discussion

lostinube

Tiger Kihara will be for working for NOAH.

The card for NTV NOAH/AJPW show

http://www.all-japan.co.jp/wp-new/2024年2月9日(金)東京・後楽園ホール大会にて「プ

Two live matches

Jun Saito and Rei Saito vs Saxon Huxley and Timothy Thatcher.

The main event is the battle of the Aces, NOAH's ace Kaito vs future ace of AJPW Yuma Anzai.

AJPW

The Triple Crown is vacated. Nakajima didn't want to hold on to the title after losing the tag match. Kensuke Sasaki did something similar to this in NJPW many years ago.

Suwama is staying and they're moving on with the worked shoot angle of who's trying to take over AJPW?

The Nakajima stuff is dumb.

Suwama vs Nakajima would be good (and meaningful), though it seems like we’ll get Ashino vs Nakajima and then maybe Rei Saito first? Then Suwama in March.

Part of me wonders if they give Nakajima a new Triple Crown. I mean he still is champion. Or maybe it's just part of his NJPW tribute gimmick and he gets the physical belt back.

Here's the Jan 27th card

http://www.all-japan.co.jp/wp-new/【世界タッグ選手権試合開催】「新春ジャイアン

Electric blast Deathmatch.

Another regular PWF rules match has AEW/DDT Pro Wrestler Konosuke Takeshita in a tag. I think this leads up to Yuma Aoyagi vs DDT.

The All Asia tags are nowadays DDT's. But still recognized by AJPW and the PWF.

1. What exactly is an "electric blast" match

2. Who is the new Mr. Pogo?

EDIT: Also, you gotta love the notes/warnings about the match

[Notes regarding electric current explosion matches]

◆Electric blast matches use gunpowder and make very intense sounds.

◆The weapon and water may be scattered. Please wear clothing that avoids exposing your skin and watch at your own risk.

◆Please be sure to watch the game from your own seat.

◆Although we will maintain a safe distance, there is a possibility that sparks, debris, etc. may fly into the audience seats.

If you are injured as a result, we will provide first aid, but please note that we will not cover any medical expenses.

Edited by Curt McGirt

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

1. What exactly is an "electric blast" match

2. Who is the new Mr. Pogo?

EDIT: Also, you gotta love the notes/warnings about the match

Unless they changed it again, as of last summer the new Mr. Pogo was Shadow WX.

• Like 1

After setting himself on fire for a minute and a half, I think he deserves to get fat and happy and use sickles and drills on people's foreheads and set OTHER people on fire instead.

BTW, reading Blood and Thunder 2 over here, you find out some crazy stuff that happened in the Japanese indies... like Pogo using a chainsaw?! Ueda bringing a butcher knife to the ring?! 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Two new articles for AJPW on Tokyo Sports, one is about Simon Inoki and the other is about speculative poaching between AJPW and NOAH.

Simon Inoki denies trying to take over AJPW.

Edited by Kang
  • Like 1

Welil that’s pretty shocking. Really interesting to see what he does, his friendship with the Bucks would probably put good odds on him being All Elite but who knows, I’m sure WWE offered him something big too, or maybe he’s gonna do something shocking and go join NOAH or something.

• Like 2

I have a lot of thoughts about Okada leaving, might try get them together properly before posting them though... but damn... it won't kill New Japan and I think they went through worse in the mid 00s but yeah it'll be interesting to see what a post Okada New Japan looks like.

The 6 man between TMDK and Okada's crew has been shifted to Korakuen on the 24th and in Osaka on the 11th he'll face Tanahashi in singles instead.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kang said:

NJPW fans

Say goodbye to Okada

https://www.njpw1972.com/168267

That's massive news. Kazuchika Okada is in my top three wrestlers of all time. Fan of Okada ever since he returned from excursion as the Rainmaker at NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 6. Okada's had some of the greatest matches in wrestling history with Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kenny Omega, Katsuyori Shibata and Tetsuya Naito to name but a few. Be interesting to see where he turns up and how he's used.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Horangi said:

I have a lot of thoughts about Okada leaving, might try get them together properly before posting them though... but damn... it won't kill New Japan and I think they went through worse in the mid 00s but yeah it'll be interesting to see what a post Okada New Japan looks like.

The 6 man between TMDK and Okada's crew has been shifted to Korakuen on the 24th and in Osaka on the 11th he'll face Tanahashi in singles instead.

Glad we're getting Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi one last time.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Natural said:

That's massive news. Kazuchika Okada is in my top three wrestlers of all time. Fan of Okada ever since he returned from excursion as the Rainmaker at NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 6. Okada's had some of the greatest matches in wrestling history with Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kenny Omega, Katsuyori Shibata and Tetsuya Naito to name but a few. Be interesting to see where he turns up and how he's used.

What’s your desired Okada destination?

3 hours ago, Horangi said:

New Japan's first three cards this year have all been tremendous, and yes, Okada was obviously an important part of that, but he wasn't the only reason.  They also had a pretty solid (and underrated) 2023 with a reloaded roster of fresh new faces.  I felt the same way about CMLL a couple of years back;  unsure but lots of promise on the horizon, and now they (CMLL) are delivering consistently with a couple big stars on top but mainly with a younger roster all hitting their stride seemingly at the same time.  I see a similar situation developing with New Japan.  

Honestly, I've felt New Japan's main event scene has been incredibly stale for a long time.  Sure, Sanada was an experiment of sorts (just not for me, but no need to argue that now), but Naito winning at the dome was an inevitability, and then what?  As some have suggested, Okada vs. Naito at next year's WK?  Groan.  Okada is unquestionably an all-timer, but he's done literally everything he could do in New Japan.  I think for all parties concerned, a change of pace and scenery is long overdue.  Good for him, actually.  I wish him well.  Jay White never fully clicked for me in New Japan, he's far more engaging in AEW.  Ospreay had 8 years for New Japan, and him leaving is actually a bigger blow to them than Okada, in my honest opinion.  

Change is good.  Finally give the belt to ZSJ.  Shingo is right fucking there.  Tsuji is already 30, Uemura 29.  Shota and Ren already have a significant rivalry.  ELP, War Dogs, relationship with CMLL stronger than ever.  Let's fucking go.  

Edited by Evil Otto
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Evil Otto said:

Change is good.  Finally give the belt to ZSJ.  Shingo is right fucking there.  Tsuji is already 30, Uemura 29.  Shota and Ren already have a significant rivalry.  ELP, War Dogs, relationship with CMLL stronger than ever.  Let's fucking go.  

This! Part of my argument that Okada leaving is not necessarily a total negative was that it opens a spot for the apparent "undervalued" such as Shingo Takagi or Hirooki Goto.

And unlike the mid 00s they have so much more younger talent with a world of potential just waiting to break through. 

Zack benefits most from Ospreay leaving as, if he stays, would clearly positioned as the top gaijin. Based on their twitter reactions it looks like War Dogs are sticking around which is a huge bonus if correct.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

What’s your desired Okada destination?

Honestly, I'm not sure. If Kazuchika Okada goes to AEW, you still get NJPW matches and dream matches. However the AEW roster is so huge and we've seen previous signings get lost in that shuffle. WWE would be entirely new experience but then I think about Shinsuke Nakamura's stop start usage. However it's under new governorship with Triple H. I think he'll wind up signing with AEW.