DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics - 2024

17 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Thought about one of the members in spoilers

Hide contents

Interesting that Rachel Summers has her facial scars on the cover. I thought that version of her was long gone?

Spoiler

Rachel's always had the scars. She just usually masks them.

5 hours ago, Ace said:
  Hide contents

Rachel's always had the scars. She just usually masks them.

Spoiler

Ah, I thought they had removed them for the newer, younger version, that they'd grabbed her before she got them

...but there's a good 15 year gap in my X-folk knowledge I'm still slowly filling in.

5 hours ago, JLSigman said:
  Hide contents

Ah, I thought they had removed them for the newer, younger version, that they'd grabbed her before she got them

...but there's a good 15 year gap in my X-folk knowledge I'm still slowly filling in.

I think Rachel's hound marks are basically just her most distinctive visual aspect for her as a character and as a result a lot of artists gravitate toward them. As a result they come, they go, sometimes they're explained in story, other times they're not. She was drawn both with them int the Krakoa-era and sometimes without. You can always go with the Claremont No-Prize answer that they're always there but she uses her telepathy to cause people to not see them. 

• Like 1

One thing that baffles me is why the only initial promotional art you use to promote a new series is a cover by an artist that isn't the interior artist? I'm not saying that the interior artist needs to do the cover but it would be nice to provide something to give people an idea what the actual art will look like.

• Like 2

I'd have said the cover would at least vaguely tie into the plot, even if in a sensationalist way. I'd say the cover of just the hero with no particular conflict was the exception. But this is off to of my head at 0100 at work. 😉

With NYX being revamped/revived that makes me wonder... Has Josh Middleton done anything except covers for Aquaman and a few other DC books in the last like ten or fifteen years?

16 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Wiki says he worked for a while at WB Animation, including on the GL cartoon. 

Yeah there was a point where he said something about how he was leaving animation to return full time to comics, but I don't know that he's ever done interiors since then.

From reading the latest solicits, Ultimate Ock will debut in USM. And Ultimate Midas in Ultimates, I dunno which Midas. Ultimate Cap isn't happy with what happened to the nations and will visit the white house. Have to keep in mind the NAU was broken in parts recently. The NAU was Canada, America, Mexico.

Ultimate Mutants appear to be linked to the Supernatural and folklore. 

Like the New Universe, the new Ultimate Universe seems to operate in real time, and not a sliding timescale like 616.

Edited by Kang
  • Like 1