DVDVR Message Board

Mania Weekend Shows

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

All of the Collective is on FITE+.   The Impact/New Japan show is on FITE but it is a PPV.    I did do the 7 day free trial to Highspots for the Wrestlecon SuperShow

I might wait until after Mania weekend to do the 7 day on Highspots. I wouldn't mind seeing recent PWG. Maybe watch BOLA from a few months ago. 

Killer Kelly.   My god.  Okay I will settle down now.   Although apparently she learned about that phrase "fuck around and find out" as Marina Sharif wasn't have any of her shit

Mike Bailey vs Kota Ibushi in a Bloodsport setup.  😃

If you enjoy watching vets wrestling then the Wrestlecon SuperShow will be for you.  Look forward to seeing this tomorrow on reply

https://twitter.com/TrevorDame/status/1641587007116935168

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 2

As expected the Black Taurus vs Kommander vs Vikingo  from the WrestleCon Supershow is just insane.   I am sure for some this is just playing the "greatest hits" but when it is sounds like Freebird without a single missed beat nobody should argue.    While all 3 was great, I really thought Black Taurus was the huge star on this one.  

• Like 3

Maybe it is the alcohol talking but the opening match on the DDT show featuring the tag team of Chris Brookes and Yoshihiko is pretty damn good.   

Jesus this match between Pheromones vs Sanshiro Takagi & Michael Nakazawa is everything you thought it would be and a 100 times more.  😄

Edited by hammerva

I watched the second half of GCW vs. DDT yesterday -- pretty much stumbled into the show while looking for something to watch ...

-- I can now say I watched a Yoshihiko match live. The concept is different, but it's better as, say, a once every two months spectacle -- not a character who shows up and fights every day. The match was also about 7-8 minutes too long, but kudos to Radrick for making a passable match out of it. Honestly, GCW could have a field day if DDT let it control that 24/7 title for a few months (I know Janela had it during part of the pandemic and was "defended" backstage at Daily's Place -- got a kick out of those segments and I can see GCW doing something similar).

-- BUSSY/Pheromones was .... something. Like the above match, it was something you could have cut by 5-6 minutes.

-- The six-man had some good moments. Watase reminds me of a smaller Masato Tanaka, and "1 Called Manders" is an indy-riffic Stan Hansen. But the unprotected chair and weapon shots were uncomfortable to watch, and the camera folks had a bad habit of staying on a shot a few seconds too long. At least twice, there were shots where it was obvious a wrestler was getting ready to blade (Warner when he snuck his head under the ring, then Justice removing something under his wrist tape). 

Heard a lot about Chris Brookes and, after this match, I don't get it. He looked like AWA's The Blaster after  being left in the dryer too long.

The early LEGO spots were pretty funny.

-- Enjoyed Akiyama/Endo vs. Homicide/Deppen. Deppen's "We Built This City" entrance was funny, Akiyama still looks fresh and strong in his 50s and Endo has a lot of promise in the ring.

-- Janela/Ueno was fun. Janela focusing on Ueno's arm for the majority of the match was a different take on him -- he's honestly better out of AEW and focusing on GCW, other indies and the international scene. A few things didn't pan out for me -- Uena hit a tornillo on Janela, but it seemed the two just stood there afterward before realizing they had to take a bump. The frogsplash into a Fujiwara armbar was also a head-scratcher.

-- Only caught the last minute of Higuchi/Starboy, which was Higuchi beating the tar out of his opponent.

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I did say "exactly what you'd expect" 

It feels like people are doing the Amazing Red thing with Vikingo where they award 5 stars for effort and ignore the sloppiness, and it's like...that's not how matches should be evaluated

The Komander match last night was nearly flawless, absolutely loved it. People putting the Speedball match on the same level are insane.

Looking forward to Vikingo vs. Laredo Kid tonight!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

It feels like people are doing the Amazing Red thing with Vikingo where they award 5 stars for effort and ignore the sloppiness, and it's like...that's not how matches should be evaluated

Unless you live in a San Jose suburb ...

Barnett vs Thatcher was awesome. Bloodsport main events usually deliver. I have no idea how Thatcher has been doing in Japan but this feels prime for someone in the States to pick him up and give him a push, you'd like to think a rub like that from Josh counts for something.

Moxley vs Coughlan was OK but didn't land the way some of Mox's previously marquee Bloodsport matches have, a bit underwhelming.

• Like 1