DVDVR Message Board

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Yeah, I'll probably try to watch everything from Powell/Pressburger. Let's not forget The Red Shoes (which I see at Barnes & Noble and it calls to me but I never answer the call). They are seriously a film school by themselves. It's almost like all our favorite directors (Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola, Nolan, etc) watched their films religiously for the right way to do it. I'm finding I like Gene Tierney as well now. She has intelligence and personality in her roles - if she were alive today, she would be there with Meryl Streep and Glenn Close. It's sad that Jean Luc Godard had some disappointing movies that are leaving Mubi. His earlier work aged better than his later work - the two movies I saw yesterday from the '80s and '90s had everyone in a perpetual state of being mad at each other.
  3. Yeah, Script of the Bridge is excellent. It's been on rotation since around the time of this post. This album is like if the Killers had a truly great album before going overly commercial. I've read their celebrity vocalist is a fan amongst many, many others. The underrated call on this album and this band's catalog seems to have much to do with their presentation. They seem like a key study in great bands without strong aesthetic choices - they're sorta forgettable looking (that's okay) and have consistently rotten album covers (Script included). Apparently this presentation was a point of pride. One of the band members was responsible for the atrocious sleeve design. Kinda wonder what signing to Factory, with in house Peter Saville cover art, would've done for this group? They also were noted as being signed to a major label which lost them the Indie press they so needed in the UK. I always forget how much I know and dig Speaking in Tongues. It was one of the first vinyl LPs I purchased. A real old beater copy that I've long since replaced. Great album. I feel like I indulge a lot of these songs outside the massive single via (arguably the greatest concert film ever made) Stop Making Sense.
  4. I just recently watched A Matter of Life and Death, and loved it thoroughly. I wanna see everything by Powell-Pressburger. Black Narcissus is calling to me. I've been eyeing The Ghost and Mrs Muir for a long while. Thanks for the 'leaving' reminder and terrific review. Big Gene Tierney 'mark' here.
  5. Per the New York Times and Bloomberg - Sony is considering making an offer to buy Paramount Skydance Media already has an offer out to buy Paramount but apparently that was met with a "lukewarm" reception
  6. Trust me, I've been dealing with this sort of stuff for a long time. I know what I'm working with here. They're doing two things. 1) Rallying up support to stop trans people from competing in legitimate sports, because frankly there isn't enough of us who actually compete in legitimate sports to beat the drum with nearly as much intensity as they do. (See my earlier post about how the state of Ohio only having one trans athlete in all of high school sports as they attempted to stop the supposed swarm of trans athletes). 2) Getting people to delegitimize the complaint, because when people go "it's just pro wrestling, it's all fake", they can respond "well, you don't care about real women, that's why you don't think this is a big deal! We're trying to protect real women! Blah blah bloo!" like we'll get our trans cooties on them or turn them into newts or whatever. It's not that they're too stupid to get that there was no legitimate competition in play. It's that they're trying to delegitimize the argument entirely. The argument people should be having isn't "it's a fake sport, so what", it's "trans people are actual human beings who should be able to participate in sports anyway if they want to, and most of them don't unless it's to hang out with their friends, leave these people alone you utter creeps".
  7. Chris Jericho vs. Rob Van Dam, King of the Ring 2002. Still remember that outburst.
  8. Today
  9. I'm glad that they put RVD in a spotty 4-way elimination match instead of tying him to the HOOK stuff by "giving" us Jericho vs RVD in 2024 as a rematch from their match that Jericho got pissy about on the internet all those years ago for people not liking it as much as he thought they should. Also, Emi vs Yuka on Rampage should be delightful.
  10. You're completely right about their motivations, of course, but I don't think that makes comments about how they don't know wrestling is fake off-topic or anything, because they illustrate how stupid these people are willing to be to pursue their agenda. I mean, their press release explicitly stated that Nyla Rose competed against a cis woman, when of course nothing of the sort occurred. What happened was that Nyla Rose put on a performance in co-operation with a cis woman. I'm pretty sure these asshats haven't found an excuse to make that illegal, even in Oklahoma. And yes, the actual arguments they use are irrelevant to them. But they're not irrelevant to the large number of people out there who are neither motivated by a desire to see trans people wiped out nor fully onboard with trans rights. Which is why I think it's reasonable to point out that the argument they're using implies they're either stupid enough to think wrestling is real or duplicitous enough to pretend it is.
  11. Yep. Big upgrade. Feel bad for saying that about somebody injured.
  12. Starlight Kid/Natsupoi vs AZM/Miyu Amasaki has been added to All Together on 5/6.
  13. RIPPA

2024 NFL Draft

So at a minimum Jayden Daniel’s agent doesn’t want him drafted by Washington And now due to the shit talk - the betting odds have swung heavily towards Drake Maye going ahead of Daniels
  14. The Platinum for Singularity is rough to get - it had annoying multiplayer trophies when they weren't needed. I guess at some point I'll go back and finish up Lollipop Chainsaw and work on El Shaddai for platinums.
  15. Insert the “don’t you put that on me, Ricky Bobby!” gif here…
  16. AEW Dynasty 2024 this weekend. Can see a couple of matches making my updated version in Bryan Danielson vs. Will Ospreay, #FTR vs. Young Bucks, Kazuchika Okada vs. PAC and Samoa Joe vs. Swerve Strickland.
  17. Hopefully this will help people. I'll keep updating it. I'll start with 15. 15. Eddie Kingston vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Revolution, 3rd March 2024. 14. Blue Panther/Ultimo Guerrero/Mistico/Volador Jr vs. Bryan Danielson/Jon Moxley/Claudio Castagnoli/Matt Sydal. CMLL's Homenaje a Dos Leyendas, 29th March 2024. 13. Mad Dog Connelly vs. Demus. Action Wrestling DEAN~!!!, 4th April 2024. 12. Oba Femi vs. Dijak vs. Josh Briggs. WWE NXT Stand & Deliver, 6th April 2024. 11. Baron Corbin/Bron Breakker vs. Axiom/Nathan Frazer. WWE NXT Stand & Deliver, 6th April 2024. 10. Bayley vs. IYO SKY. WWE WrestleMania XL, 7th April 2024. 9. Daniel Makabe vs. Timothy Thatcher. Action Wrestling DEAN~!!!, 4th April 2024. 8. Tama Tonga vs. Shingo Takagi. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 18, 4th January 2024. 7. Bryan Danielson vs. Katsuyori Shibata. AEW Collison, 16th March 2024. 6. Mark Briscoe vs. Eddie Kingston. ROH Supercard of Honor, 6th April 2024. 5. Sami Zayn vs. Gunther. WWE WrestleMania XL, 6th April 2024. 4. Kazuchika Okada vs. Bryan Danielson. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 18, 4th January 2024. *****. 3. Sting/Darby Allin vs. The Young Bucks. AEW Revolution, 3rd March 2024. *****. 2. Zack Sabre Jr vs. Bryan Danielson. NJPW The New Beginning in Osaka. 11th February 2024. *****. 1. Cody Rhodes vs. Roman Reigns. WWE WrestleMania XL. 7th April 2024. *****.
  18. Apparently KUSHIDA is replacing YOH
  19. 6. Zack Sabre Jr vs. Matt Riddle. NJPW Windy City Riot. 12th April 2024. 5. Bullet Club War Dogs vs. United Empire. NJPW The New Beginning in Osaka. 11th February 2024. 4. Zack Sabre Jr vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 18, 4th January 2024. 3. Tama Tonga vs. Shingo Takagi. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 18, 4th January 2024. 2. Kazuchika Okada vs. Bryan Danielson. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 18, 4th January 2024. *****. 1. Zack Sabre Jr vs. Bryan Danielson. NJPW The New Beginning in Osaka. 11th February 2024. *****.
  20. The Allman Brothers Band - Whipping Post - 1/16/1982 - University Of Florida Bandshell (Official) (youtube.com)
  21. I'll have a guess at who wins the PPV matches in bold and how long the match goes for: Joe vs Strickland: 20 minutes. Danielson vs. Ospreay: 45 minutes. Okada vs. PAC: 26 minutes. FTR vs. Young Bucks: 23 minutes. Storm vs. Rosa: 15 minutes. Strong vs. O'Reilly: 13 minutes. Hart vs. Nightingale: 14 minutes. Hook vs. Jericho: 15 minutes. Copeland/Briscoe/Kingston vs. House of Black: 18 minutes.
  22. No Jon Moxley PPV match. Usually he's in one. Ditto Orange Cassidy.
  23. I am so unbelievably tired of the sports gambling ads. And incorporating lines and similar into the broadcasts.
  24. Dickey Betts has died at age 80. https://www.npr.org/2024/04/18/1245591933/dickey-betts-dead-the-allman-brothers-band-ramblin-man
  25. Didn’t know Buddy was taping his stuff in Amarillo too (ha, probably not that?) Also gonna mention that Rose/Funk match could be the only time they ever faced each other in a singles match (there was a Terry/Dory vs Buddy Rose/Rip Oliver match from the Omni in 1982) I’m ready for more of JJ Dillon when he looked like Tom Smykowski (from Office Space). There’s just something amusingly sleazy about a wrestling manager who looks like he got fired from Office Depot for embezzlement
  1. Load more activity