DVDVR Message Board

MMA Live TV Event Discussion Thread, First Quarter 2022

Elsalvajeloco

4 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Just skipping my way through parts 1 & 2 right now and holy fucking shit this uppercut from hell...

Hide contents

It's timestamped. Lobo's soul left his body.

That's a Juan Manuel Marquez Special.

AptBlondKakapo-max-1mb.gif

Pretty gutsy performance by Kai Kara France. That first round looked like it was going to be a long night at the office for him, but he worked it out.

Matt Brown and Barbarena just went balls out for 3 rounds. Ridiculous.

God damn, dudes aren't supposed to look like that at 46 years old but Sexyama is in amazing shape, PEDs or not. Those 4 minutes of Aoki crossfacing and crushing his face in the first round felt like an eternity to me, can't imagine what he was going through, but it made the comeback all the more sweeter. Akiyama is the god of this shit. "At some point I thought I was going to lose but then everybody started to call me Sexyama and I got my power." Legend.

This show has been really fun btw! Superbon/Grigorian was brutal. Folayang/Parr was a fantastic way to go out for the latter and Folayang looked sharper than I've seen him in a while with the added wushu. Some fun stuff on the youtube show(s?), like Korean heavyweight Kang getting a big boi KO with a side order of stanky leg on a British HW. Gonna watch the rest tomorrow.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jiji said:

God damn, dudes aren't supposed to look like that at 46 years old but Sexyama is in amazing shape, PEDs or not. Those 4 minutes of Aoki crossfacing and crushing his face in the first round felt like an eternity to me, can't imagine what he was going through, but it made the comeback all the more sweeter. Akiyama is the god of this shit. "At some point I thought I was going to lose but then everybody started to call me Sexyama and I got my power." Legend.

This show has been really fun btw! Superbon/Grigorian was brutal. Folayang/Parr was a fantastic way to go out for the latter and Folayang looked sharper than I've seen him in a while with the added wushu. Some fun stuff on the youtube show(s?), like Korean heavyweight Kang getting a big boi KO with a side order of stanky leg on a British HW. Gonna watch the rest tomorrow.

I had planned to watch the UFC later today but ended up just checking the results. Still feeling post-One burnout. 

Capitan - Akimoto was also a great scrap. 

re : Kang - they match this guy up against juiced up bangers and he's gone 3 for 3 knocking them all out. He did get bjj'd by Bucheca but still an interesting hw fighter. 

I personally could have done without seeing Parr in the shape he's in, but kudos to him and hopefully he does actually hang them up now, 100 wins or not. Felt the same about the Akiyama-Aoki fight going in but yeah, that was entertaining. Will give them that. 

That was jus an absolute marathon of a show but I've gotta say - I really enjoyed nearly every minute of it. Were it a weekly occurrence, there's no way I would have subjected myself to that but as a 10 year anniversary spectacle? Sure!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Setsuna said:

Capitan - Akimoto was also a great scrap. 

I admittedly was kinda jumping through some of the prelim fights but I watched most of the first round of this one and thought Capitan was on a different level than Akimoto. Surprised the hell out of me to see Akimoto pour it on to get the finish late. 

6 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I admittedly was kinda jumping through some of the prelim fights but I watched most of the first round of this one and thought Capitan was on a different level than Akimoto. Surprised the hell out of me to see Akimoto pour it on to get the finish late. 

You really did yourself a disservice there, haha. It was actually a decision and Akimoto controlled most of the fight, battering Capitan's legs and hitting him with clean punches. There were some questionable yellow cards in the third for Capitan clinching but it was all happening too fast for me to keep up with. He was coming in, clinching, landing a knee to the stomach and exiting, I think. You could see the knees were bothering Akimoto but once Capitan realised he couldn't do that anymore ( it was kb rules), you could tell it messed him up a bit. Must be hard for muay thai fighters to fight kb rules when all of their instincts are telling them to clinch at certain points. 

Edit: That my fotn, btw

Double edit : but I could totally see how skipping through the like 7 hour youtube video would be hard to not skip too much/little.

Edited by Setsuna
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

FOa7E_5XIAEzCRX.jpg?1647964086

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 34: Luque vs. Muhammad II 
April 16, 2022 
Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Vicente Luque (171) vs. Belal Muhammad (170.5) - Muhammad, DEC (unanimous)
Caio Borralho (186) vs. Gadzhi Omargadzhiev (186) - Borralho, DEC (technical decision)
Miguel Baeza (171) vs. Andre Fialho (171) - Fialho, TKO (punches), R1 (4:39)
Mayra Bueno Silva (136) vs. Wu Yanan (136) - Silva, DEC (unanimous)
Pat Sabatini (146) vs. T.J. Laramie (145.5) - Sabatini, DEC (unanimous)
Mounir Lazzez (171) vs. Ange Loosa (171) - Lazzez, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN2 / ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Devin Clark (223) vs. William Knight (251) - Clark, TKO (elbow and punches), R3 (3:21)
Lina Länsberg (135.5) vs. Pannie Kianzad (136) - Kianzad, DEC (unanimous)
Drakkar Klose (156) vs. Brandon Jenkins (155.5) - Klose, TKO (punches), R2 (0:33)
Rafa García (155) vs. Jesse Ronson (155.5) - García, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (4:50)
Chris Barnett (263.5) vs. Martin Buday (264.5) - Buday, DEC (technical decision)
Jordan Leavitt (155.5) vs. Trey Ogden (156) - Ogden, DEC (split)
Istela Nunes (114) vs. Sam Hughes (115.5) - Hughes, DEC (majority)
Heili Alateng (135.5) vs. Kevin Croom (136) - Alateng, TKO (punches), R1 (0:47)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Drakkar Klose
Performance of the Night: Andre Fialho
Fight of the Night: Mayra Bueno Silva vs. Wu Yanan

Rating: 914,000 viewers

original-1648060496.jpg

Featherweight Title: AJ McKee (c)  vs  Patricio "Pitbull" Freire
Light Heavyweight Title / Grand Prix Final: Vadim Nemkov (c)  vs  Corey Anderson
Aaron Pico  vs  Adli Edwards
Timothy Johnson  vs  Linton Vassell

edit: i should note that i only really care about the Nemkov/Anderson fight. I'm sure McKee/Pitbull will be great, but i'm a sucker for tournaments.

Edited by twiztor

If AJ walks through (Patricio) Pitbull again, I really wonder where he goes from here. That would be 2 dominant wins over the most accomplished fighter in the history of the company.

AJ looked pretty awkward throughout. This is going to be one of those fights where we'll get a bunch of bitching despite neither guy really committing that much. Hoping McKee just so we don't have to go through this again.

I'm going through the Bellator card now on DVR....

Somebody should have told Timothy Johnson he wasn't the best candidate to do the "Lesnar bullrushing Heath Herring" spot because he flew into Linton Vassell and all he did was basically split his own head open. Vassell eventually reverses position on the ground and pummels Johnson into oblivion. Hilarious.

I hope Adli Edwards got paid a hefty fee to be Pico's punching bag. Pico literally used him as a heavy bag going head and body anytime he wanted to. What makes it sadder is Edwards looks like Tony Ferguson who has been left in the dryer too long. So it basically looked like Aaron Pico beating up a weathered Tony Ferguson.

Vadim Nemkov didn't look too stellar up until the accidental headbutt. I thought Corey Anderson pretty dominated the majority of the fight.

IMO if you're fighting a five round fight, I believe a technical decision should able to be rendered after the 12:30 mark. They (Vadim Nemkov and Corey Anderson) had essentially fought three entire rounds. Four rounds sounds good on paper, but logically, eighteen-twenty minutes is a LONG time in MMA for nothing accidental to happen and you can go the scorecards. This goes especially when you know people have different fighting styles and head clashes/eyepokes/groin strikes/illegal strikes to a downed opponent are fairly regularly occurrences. How many fights have we seen where a guy repeatedly pokes someone in the eyes late in the fight AFTER it was happening EARLIER in the fight since he ain't closing his hands in close quarters? Almost a dozen times. Compared to boxing, you don't have a whole bunch fights that are clean and then an act of God occurs really late in the fight where someone cannot continue due to  an unintentional foul. In long MMA fights, fights tend to follow a certain pattern after about mid to late round 2 and kinda break down from there (juxtaposed with a twelve round boxing match where the first half could be two fighters feeling each out interspersed with brief periods of real action). You add the variable of kicks, knees, and elbows both standing and on the ground, and you increase the chances of something weird occurring. Within that in mind, if you need to go a scorecards, you should have a sufficient amount of decision action once both fighters have gotten past the halfway mark. Again, Nemkov and Anderson went for AWHILE before the accidental clash of heads. I had seen enough to score that fight in favor of Corey Anderson and feel like no one was cheated had a winner been decided.

I had it 48-47 Pitbull, but it was very close. If AJ basically didn't give away the first two rounds, we would be having a different conversation. I didn't AJ coming out and trying be measured and playing the counter game. Get off first and make Pitbull fight going backwards. When AJ played the aggressor in the fight, Pitbull didn't really have much for him. So it makes no sense for him to basically gift Pitbull two rounds. Unless you can somehow get a finish, every remaining round has to be clearly in your favor.

I like Belal Muhammad(Chicago sticks together ya know) so I enjoyed the main event. Pretty solid performance from him, I thought. Effectively used his footwork to manipulate the standup and set up the take downs. Got rocked once and survived it without looking panicked. Just a grind kinda fight.

His road to a title looks so messed up now that Chimaev beat Burns, and Dana is looking to book Khamzat vs. Colby.

5 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I like Belal Muhammad(Chicago sticks together ya know) so I enjoyed the main event. Pretty solid performance from him, I thought. Effectively used his footwork to manipulate the standup and set up the take downs. Got rocked once and survived it without looking panicked. Just a grind kinda fight.

His road to a title looks so messed up now that Chimaev beat Burns, and Dana is looking to book Khamzat vs. Colby.

I'm kinda bummed Luque lost, but I like Belal so it's kinda bittersweet as well. It's just that I wish Luque could finally break through. After Saturday, it feels like he's destined to sit right outside the top 5-6 fighters in the division.