DVDVR Message Board

MMA Live TV Event Discussion Thread, First Quarter 2022

Elsalvajeloco

Drew Dober/Terrance McKinney was so fucking awesome.

Song Yadong does not get paid by the hour. All fast. All power. 

Bummed about Thiagos Santos. Thought he had an okay game plan, but there was no next gear. 

I don't know why, but I love when Khalil Rountree gets it done. I feel like he'd be one of my favorite low-mid card babyfaces. He punted Roberson off the ground into the cage. Insane. Then he gave the speech after, and now I totally know why I love that dude.  

• Like 1

FMi77yNXoAYmQuv.jpeg?1645977314

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 62: Volkov vs. Aspinall
March 19, 2022
London, England, United Kingdom (O2 Arena)

Alexander Volkov (253) vs. Tom Aspinall (252) - Aspinall, SUB (straight armlock), R1 (3:45)
Arnold Allen (146) vs. Dan Hooker (145) - Allen, TKO (strikes), R1 (2:33)
Paddy Pimblett (155) vs. Kazula Vargas (155) - Pimblett, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (3:49)
Gunnar Nelson (171) vs. Takashi Sato (170) - Nelson, DEC (unanimous)
Molly McCann (125) vs. Luana Carolina (126) - McCann, KO (spinning back elbow), R3 (1:52)
Jai Herbert (155) vs. Ilia Topuria (156) - Topuria, KO (punch), R2 (1:07)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Mike Grundy (145) vs. Makwan Amirkhani (146) - Amirkhani, SUB (anaconda choke), R1 (0:57)   
Shamil Abdurakhimov (258) vs. Sergei Pavlovich (254) - Pavlovich, TKO (punches), R1 (4:03)
Nikita Krylov (205) vs. Paul Craig (206) - Craig, SUB (triangle choke), R1 (3:57)
Jack Shore (136) vs. Timur Valiev (136) - Shore, DEC (unanimous)
Cory McKenna (115) vs. Elise Reed (115) - Reed, DEC (split)
Muhammad Mokaev (125) vs. Cody Durden (126) - Mokaev, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (0:58)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Muhammad Mokaev
Performance of the Night: Paul Craig
Performance of the Night: Sergei Pavlovich
Performance of the Night: Makwan Amirkhani
Performance of the Night: Ilia Topuria
Performance of the Night: Molly McCann
Performance of the Night: Paddy Pimblett
Performance of the Night: Arnold Allen
Performance of the Night: Tom Aspinall

Attendance: 17,081
Gate: $4.5 million

What's with the massive leap in opponent skill level for Aspinall? They've been protecting him fairly heavily and then just shoved him into the deep end here. 

Pretty neat card but it's exclusively on fight pass in Canada. 

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

What's with the massive leap in opponent skill level for Aspinall? They've been protecting him fairly heavily and then just shoved him into the deep end here. 

Pretty neat card but it's exclusively on fight pass in Canada. 

Probably because if you think about it there seems to be no real challenge to facing those middle of the pack HWs. I mean Greg Hardy was able to pick up wins over lower level HWs. He got trounced out of the UFC by Sergey Spivak. That's the same guy who got trounced by Tom Aspinall. You can do the incremental buildup, but what would that tell you about Tom Aspinall overall? Maybe Volkov is too much, too soon, but they likely feel more comfortable with that than him fighting bums for every 2 1/2 months. That and I doubt people were signing up to fight him.

2 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

PAUL CRAIG WHAT THE FUCK.

That was some trapdoor spider shit.

1 minute ago, John E. Dynamite said:

DUDE.

I don't know if anybody is as good at their thing as Paul Craig is at his thing.

Do people watch Paul Craig fights after they sign to fight him or are his opponents decided by some blind draw, BattleBowl type shit 24 hours before the weigh-in?

It's crazy that he set up and threatened Krylov with it, and when it didn't work he just....set it up and did it again. Like. "Hey man, you dodged a bullet, maybe don't get in front of the gun after he reloads."

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Paddy will absolutely get knocked the fuck out some day. I just hope it's not for, at least, another 8 fights.

If he is help drawing 4 and 1/2 million dollar gates, the UFC might have him fighting dental assistants and nurse's aides until he stops drawing.