DVDVR Message Board

2022 Puroresu General Discussion

Kang

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

that guy was on the nye rizin show. what's his name again? very neat human. what show is that too?

Hideki Sekine (48).  RJPW show 09.06.2022.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Octopus said:

Here’s screenshots of them grappling 

Reveal hidden contents

FF6-ADFCC-8-FC0-4-E83-BA06-5-AE951376-CF
1-CC5-D8-AA-B1-E0-4167-AD0-B-C7-F1-A2-FD
3338902-D-C455-4-B5-E-915-D-EC173-B7-FA611457501-41-C4-4-BEF-AE23-43-A2-D91-C1-B
3803-E8-B1-7906-4881-9-D14-F3-E81-A215-B

Pretty cool stuff.

That 5/5 BJW show was really good. I run hot & cold on that promotion quite often, they have some really talented wresters but the deathmatch side of things is deathly stale & chock full of guys like Abby Jr, Jaki Numazawa & Ryuji Ito who haven't aged as gracefully as Jun Kasai, meanwhile their younger guys like Ishikawa & before that Ueki & Sakuda (who have been on fire in Freedoms) just turn their wheels, it's super annoying.

But the top of the card, the Jr Title match (Kosuke Sato is easily their standout younger guy), Tag match (Astronauts are my fave team in the world right now, Okami are also great in there own right), the obviously great Strong Title match & the Deathmatch Title match with Miyamoto against Parker. Parker leaving BJW to go freelance is such a blow for them. The fact he vacated the belt rather than dropping it to Ishikawa just...infuriating. But the scaffold match with Miyamoto & Parker really was excellent, Miyamoto is one of the few guys who consistently makes scaffold matches interesting.

• Like 3

The next few AJPW shows looks good. The big Ota show has shaped up well (I think the duplicate Aoyagi/Kondo is little Aoyagi vs RISING Hayato), but the other cards have fun stuff like Miyahara and Nagata facing off, and a surprise Shiro Koshinaka appearance:

AJPW "CHAMPIONS NIGHT 4 ~ 50TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR", 19.06.2022 (AJPW.tv) 
Ota City General Gymnasium 

- Ryo Inoue vs. Oji Shiiba 
- Yuma Aoyagi vs. Shuji Kondo 
- Suwama & TARU vs. Yuji Nagata  & Dan Tamura 
- Hokuto Omori vs. Naoya Nomura 
- Yuma Aoyagi vs. Shuji Kondo 
- GAORA TV Title, 3 Way Match: Izanagi (c) vs. Black Menso~re vs. Toshizu 
- AJPW World Jr. Heavyweight Title - Atsushi Aoki Memorial Match: Hikaru Sato (c) vs. Tiger Mask  
- AJPW World Tag Team Title: Shuji Ishikawa & Kohei Sato (c) vs. Shotaro Ashino & Ryuki Honda 
- Triple Crown: Kento Miyahara (c) vs. Jake Lee 

AJPW "DYNAMITE SERIES 2022", 25.06.2022 
Kurobe City Sports Center Main Arena 

- Hikaru Sato vs. Ryo Inoue 
- Izanagi vs. Black Menso~re 
- Shotaro Ashino & Ryuki Honda vs. Hokuto Omori & Yusuke Kodama 
- Shuji Ishikawa & Ren Ayabe  vs. Takao Omori & Yoshitatsu 
- Suwama & X vs. Yuji Nagata  & Dan Tamura 
- Kento Miyahara, Atsuki Aoyagi & Rising HAYATO vs. Jake Lee, Yuma Aoyagi & Shiro Koshinaka 

AJPW "DYNAMITE SERIES 2022", 26.06.2022 
Kyoto KBS Hall 

- Atsuki Aoyagi vs. Hikaru Sato 
- Yoshitatsu & Eisa8 vs. Takao Omori & Ryo Inoue 
- Shuji Ishikawa & Ren Ayabe  vs. Shotaro Ashino & Ryuki Honda 
- Hokuto Omori & Yusuke Kodama vs. Izanagi & Black Menso~re 
- Kento Miyahara & Rising HAYATO vs. Yuji Nagata  & Dan Tamura 
- Suwama & X vs. Jake Lee & Yuma Aoyagi

• Like 1

Endo has vacated the KO-D Openweight title due to being unable to compete in the King of DDT. Winner of the tournament will be the new champ.

What a bummer for Endo.

Masahiro Takanashi, Endo's first round opponent, gets a bye into round two.
Edited by Garth

More Miyahara magic tonight. 25 minutes gone in the blink of an eye. Nothing flashy, all impact, both guys laying it all out and in for the duration. Matches like that deserve sold out arenas going batshit down the stretch.

• Like 1

AJPW 

Spoiler

Jake Lee got his belt back. Jake Lee (c) vs Suwama is next for the Triple Crown.

Ashino and Honda won the World tags. T-Hawk & Shigehiro Irie were nominated as next challengers. 

Tiger Mask 4 won the World Junior title.

Seems we will get more than just AJPW wrestlers at the Budokan show. 

On 6/14/2022 at 10:26 AM, lostinube said:

Indy show tonight to celebrate the 20th anniversary of PleinsGaz, which is a brand that makes costumes for wrestlers and MMA fighters.

The person behind PleinsGaz, Mami Takahashi was a flag girl for Pancrase.

Holy crap I didn't know Lee vs Abe was a thing, I gotta see this. 

Really wish NicoNico was a better service 

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Something coming from a big NJPW supporter in Dave Meltzer. To me, NJPW's last truly great year was 2018. 2012-2018 NJPW was fantastic.

I can't comment on the quality of WWE booking from personal experience, but certainly the people I talk to the consensus is that it's really bad (though there's probably a bit of group think there where people reinforce each others views & suddenly people are saying Cody vs Seth HIAC is mediocre so...), where as New Japan it's just dull. I got halfway through the BOSJ tournament & just fell off, I only just finally found it in me to watch night 7 this morning. And it's not like it's bad, it's just time is limited & I am way more excited to catch other promotions, it's honestly the same thing I've had with AEW the last couple months: the matches are amazing at times but I just don't feel that excitement to watch that I do when an All Japan or GLEAT show is coming on. I'd say that New Japan is still a better in-ring product than Dragongate but once you throw in booking & everything, god DG feels so fresh & NJPW has just stagnated so hard over COVID. They've elevated so many young guys, obviously the units are almost all completely different from pre-pandemic (Natural Vibes are back but are barely the same unit now that Genki & Susumu are gone, & then you have Gold Class, HIGH-END, Z-Brats, D'courage, people like Kota Minoura, Dragon Dia, Yuki Yoshioka, Kaito Ishida, Shun Skywalker, SB KENTo, Jacky Funky Kamei, U-T, Strong Machine J, are getting pushed up the card), it's just exciting to watch.

It doesn't help that House of Torture is probably the worst thing in wrestling right now, at least among groups I follow. Okada has had a great year & is somehow under the radar for WOTY at the half-way point despite being Kazuchika Okada, but the builds to his matches have rarely been satisfying. Whereas All Japan...right now the booking is kind of a mess. I don't really know what factions still exist, or why people who just had a blood feud (Honda & Ashino) are now tagging together, short of "Voodoo Murders returned & we turned Suwama heel & we can only have 1 heel group so bye bye Total Eclipse", which is a really crappy thing. But that said, before the VM return & the current transition period, things had really gotten solid. They'd done good work to rebuild Ashino & seem to be continuing that. Now, he only needed rebuilt because of bad booking in the first place but better late than never. And despite all that I'm still much more excited for All Japan. Part of it is definitely that shows are just snappier, which goes a long way. Somehow that extra 30 minutes between a 2 hours 30 show & a 3 hour show feel like a big deal. Hell, I'm more excited for NOAH & their booking is what could charitably be described as dogshit driven by Muto & his disciples at the expense of talent who didn't appear in IGF when that was failing to draw. Yes, I'm looking at Fujita squashing Kinya Okada in 3 minutes or whatever.

I do think there's not necessarily any promotion in Japan that is booked as close to as well as peak 2010s New Japan was, although DG have been great & I think GLEAT put together extremely watchable shows, even if they are overly willing to job their contracted wrestlers to outside talent which seems very dangerous in the medium-to-long term. Honestly, Gedo probably needs an extended break, but I'm not sure there's anyone obvious able to step into those shoes.

• Like 2

Oh, man House of Torture is so fitting a name. God awful. Felt NJPW's darkness in matches/booking since 2019 with matches going too long as well. I created a thread with my NJPW issues which can be found here:

Edited by The Natural

Mine:

Antonio Inoki.

Hiroshi Tanahashi.

Kazuchika Okada.

Jushin Thunder Liger.

---

Honourable mentions to Keiji Muto/The Great Muta, Shinya Hashimoto and Tatsumi Fujinami.

Edited by The Natural

New Japan booking isn't great, sure, but comparing it to WWE is just nonsense, this Roman Reigns run is pure poison, which is killing their whole full time roster's heat and only seems to exist in the vague hope that they might get one more Wrestlemania out of The Rock.

New Japan hasn't had a booking problem so much as a Covid/injury problem. Giving Evil a short run with the belt was fine as a way to give Naito something to do for Summer 2020. It made sense to use LIJ to put over at least one of Sanada or Evil, Sanada never really proved he was up to it, Evil needed the heel turn and stable to give him cred, it just didn't work because they overdid the cheating and he lacks charisma (look at how great Sho's anime hamminess is in this role, while his boss still just comes across as a surly lummox, not a ruthless end boss warlord or whatever he's meant to be.)

Ibushi getting his big moment in 2021 was great and well deserved because he's one of the best wrestlers in the world and didn't get his chance earlier because he had to pay his dues as a full timer. His reign didn't set the world on fire because Covid, they put the title on another of the best wrestlers in the world in Ospreay, he vacated due to injury (maybe, partially), so Okada put over yet another of the best wrestlers in the world in Shingo. The only mistake here, I'd say, is the double gold concept, and then destroying the lineage of their two most important titles. Which is a pretty huge fuckup that I still won't forgive them for fully, but we've still had great matches and worthy champions at least, mainly.

Then they've reset to Okada and Jay White as their two main guys for their 50th anniversary, and it's safe but dull because they're both incredible but have limited novelty in the title scene. Hopefully they're setting up a foundation to bring in the insane crop of great talent on excursion and on Strong, and start elevating those guys towards the main event.

So short version is, their booking isn't what it was, but is still basically sound, should only get better, and isn't fundamentally broken and destructive to the value of a very talented roster like WWE's.

Edited by SturmCRF
  • Like 3

Okada did the big swing Hase used to do.

Okada the ace of J Pro Wress wants Tokyo Dome over crowded next year, and was inspired by the recent Martial Art event in Japan at the Tokyo Dome which got 56 000 plus fans.

For AJPW, Nagata wants the Triple Crown of AJPW. So he would become one of the few to hold the top 3 titles, the defunct IWGP HW, the GHC HW, and then the Triple Crown.

6 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

Okada did the big swing Hase used to do.

Okada the ace of J Pro Wress wants Tokyo Dome over crowded next year, and was inspired by the recent Martial Art event in Japan at the Tokyo Dome which got 56 000 plus fans.

For AJPW, Nagata wants the Triple Crown of AJPW. So he would become one of the few to hold the top 3 titles, the defunct IWGP HW, the GHC HW, and then the Triple Crown.

I always wanted that for Minoru Suzuki. Suzuki should have won the defunct NJPW Heavyweight Championship between 2012-2018.

Edited by The Natural