DVDVR Message Board

The Cricket Thread, Mark 2

SirFozzie

5 hours ago, DangerMark said:

Both of England's senior Cricket teams are in Win or Bust mode: the Men need 224 in whatever play actually happens tomorrow and Monday with all ten wickets intact - Crawley and Duckett made it through five overs - whilst the Women won a rain-shortened T20 in the last over. Three more games to win each; the Women can afford a non-result, but the Men cannot.

This has not be dull in the slightest bit.

Hopefully the rain fucks off.

7 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Yeah, if you just looked at the score, you'd think that this is pre-BazBall, but considering there was no play today until 5 local, there was plenty of time for wickets and runs. If England fail to win this, you're going to see all the old fuddy duddies come out of the woodwork and claim "BazBall is a fad! It's over! Practice your forward defensive strokes for 9 hours a day!".

Anyone bitching about the way England play is an idiot, this is great entertainment whatever happens.

Unless it rains but I direct you to my esteemed colleague.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

From what I was hearing on the radio, some people want to see Foakes back already to alleviate the rash of drops. I guess you can change squads in between tests, but it could be too late.

Bringing Foakes in to keep wicket is not a bad shout, but Bairstow had been batting pretty well before this series so a straight swap would be difficult. Before this game, I'd have brought Foakes in instead of Moeen and just have Root as the main spinner, but it is quite clear that I don't know shit.

1 hour ago, DangerMark said:

Anyone bitching about the way England play is an idiot, this is great entertainment

An XI of Ric Flair impersonators would be great entertainment, too. But it's not about that. 

If the way England play (throwing wickets away, dropping catches, leaving your crease) results in losing the Ashes, an English fan would be perfectly entitled to bitch about it, mentally defective or not.

I also have no problem with 9 hours of practicing forward defense for Test Match cricketers. 

I stand by what I said.

I truly believe that England wouldn't be in a position to win the series - however unlikely it might be at this point - if they didn't have that Errol Flynn mentality. I do wish they'd tighten things up a little, but I also remember pretty well what the alternative looks like.

• Like 1

Former England opener Nick Compton on Bazzball: "They keep talking about the entertainment factor and you think: ‘Yeah, the entertainment’s good, the aggression’s good.’ But, fundamentally, it’s not that entertaining losing. If you keep squandering good opportunities it goes from entertainment to stupidity."

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

England's women draw the series with Australia after winning the third ODI. Australia retain the Ashes as holders, but England won both the T20 and ODI parts of the series 

Kudos to England's women coming back from 6-0 down losing the Test to draw 8-8 needing to win them all to reclaim the Ashes. As you note, England win the ODI series to inflict a first bilateral series defeat on Australia in 50-over cricket since 2013. That follows them handing Australia a first T20 series defeat since 2017. England won four of the seven games as well. The Test should carry the most points but maybe reduce it a tad as you are on such an uphill battle for the losing team.

Edited by The Natural

Ben Stokes wins the toss again, four in a row this Ashes. England will bowl. Weather forecast for this Test isn't good unfortunately.

Ben Stokes is told by Mike Atherton on Sky Sports that no captain has won the toss, bowled first and won a Test at Old Trafford. Fuck.

Speaking of Old Trafford, it's a scandal that neither Headingley nor Old Trafford are on the schedule for the 2027 series. Both should be mandatory especially Headingley's history.

Edited by The Natural

With a bowling attack of Jack Leach, Moeen Ali, Rehan Ahmed and Joe Root, I'd back England in India. Throw in Mark Wood for when you really just have to fling hundred mile an hour bouncers at a tail ender's head and they'll be sweet.

BazBall isn't so much a game plan as a state of mind.

Edited by DangerMark