DVDVR Message Board

The Cricket Thread, Mark 2

SirFozzie

Yeah, those days back in the dim and distant mists of 2022 with NZ touring Pakistan and not getting close to a result.

Edited by DangerMark
Originally said 2019 because I couldn't believe that it really was a Two Year Cycle.
  • Like 1

Surrey completed the second largest run chase in County Championship history by knocking off 501 to stun shellshocked Kent.

After resuming on 263-3 overnight, England pair Dom Sibley and Ben Foakes extended their fine partnership to 207 to take the game away from the hosts.

Foakes fell for 124 but Sibley's unbeaten 140 off 415 balls guided the Division One leaders to victory by five wickets as they salvaged their undefeated record against all the odds.

"To chase that many and to win the game, the boys are buzzing and it's great to stay at the top of the table," Sibley told BBC Radio London.

"Even when we were set 501 it didn't feel like it was out of our possibilities as a side - all the conversations were extremely positive yesterday and overnight."

Reigning champions Surrey's chase was just one run shy of the all-time Championship record held by Middlesex, who scored 502-6 in the fourth innings to beat Nottinghamshire in 1925.

But it was a record pursuit since the Championship was split into two divisions in 2000, surpassing the 479-6 amassed by Somerset to beat Yorkshire in 2009.

It also comfortably bettered Surrey's club-record chase, the 410-8 they tallied to beat, coincidentally, Kent in 2002 - and sits eighth in the list of largest chases in first-class cricket history worldwide.

"Obviously the game didn't go to plan at the start but there's a weird self-belief that we could chase 500 and the way Sibs wore them down was just incredible," Foakes added.

"That kind of belief creeps in from winning games. A lot had to go right but it was always in the back of our minds that the game wasn't out of reach."

On a day of records, Sibley set some, admittedly slightly less glorious, ones of his own - his patient effort the slowest first-class Championship century ever by both balls faced and time spent at the crease.

Jamie Smith's quickfire 114 off 77 balls on Tuesday - sharing a 139 partnership with Sibley - had set the platform for the opener to do what he does best and grind the bowling attack into submission.

Both Sibley and Foakes had points to prove after being overlooked for England's Ashes squad and they did so in style at the expense of a Kent side who remain second-bottom of Division One.

"It was just about occupying the crease, spending time getting through the new ball - I wasn't in any rush and I didn't need to be," Sibley added.

"Obviously it helps when Smithy comes and plays an innings like that, it was one of the best knocks I've ever seen from the other end, the striking and the shot-making was unbelievable.

"I had the best view in the house and I feel very privileged to have watched it - he's a very special player, top class and he's playing a different game at times.

"I was just trying to play that anchor role for the knock and the two lads beside me were unbelievable so credit to them."

Having been dismissed for just 145 in their first innings, Surrey took advantage of a flat pitch offering little to the bowlers, seeing off the new ball intelligently under blue skies at Canterbury.

Foakes did survive a couple of animated Kent appeals for, first, lbw and, later, caught behind, either side of lunch but once he and Sibley reached their centuries within a few balls of each other, they opened up.

Wicketkeeper Foakes hit two sixes as a Joe Denly over went for 20 runs before he was caught on the boundary trying for a third maximum as Surrey reached 452-4 at tea.

Will Jacks went in similar fashion for 19 but there was never any real danger of a Kent fightback while Sibley remained at the crease and Jordan Clark hit the winning run with 23.5 overs still in hand.

Credit: bbc.co.uk

_130090983_bbc-sport-fixtures-detailed-s

Amazing achievement.

Edited by The Natural

Ex-Australia fast bowler Glenn McGrath: "I've been really impressed with the way England have been playing, but this Australian team is different with a great bowling attack and quality batters. It's going to be an incredible contest. The first Test is massively important. I can see every Test going down to the wire, with Australia just winning… every game. I'm sure people want me to say 5-0, so I will not disappoint them."

Prediction: England 0-5 Australia

The tradition continues. I like Glenn McGrath.

Cue Kevin Keegan saying that I would love it, LOVE IT if England actually beat Stevie Sandpaper Bollocks and the rest of those grinning green 80s cosplaying pricks.

THIS. Especially stick it to Smith, Warner and the other cheating shit whose name I can't remember.

Edited by The Natural

England won the toss. Only played an hour. 62-1. Ben Duckett out for 12.

England scored more off the first seven overs of an Australia first innings than any side since South Africa got off to a flyer at the old Wanderers ground in Johannesburg in 1936.

Everyone knows that England want to score runs quick but an underrated part of this Brave New Way of Test Cricketing is that they always want to go get wickets.

England declare on 393, Root not out on 118, Robinson with him on 17. Other highlights include Crawley opening with 61 and Bairstow's run-a-ball 78.

Stuart Broad has all but gouged Warner's name on the new name and waved it in his face. If England can get Warner or Khawaja out tonight, it'll be worth it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DangerMark said:

In the latest chapter of Danger Mark Don't Know Shit: England go into the turn eight runs ahead. Well, it could have been more if they'd have batted, but at one point it looked like England would be behind, so.

You and me both, bud.

Australia 386 all out. Australia trail England by 7 runs.

Darth Vader was ejected which brought Star Wars puns:

Harrison Ford couldn't keep wicket because he had 'hands so low'!!!

Remember that ball that Harmison bowled to open the Ashes a few years back? That was a Rogue One.

Star Wars cricket grounds? The Chew-Wacca? Sorry...

Gabba the Hut.

Darth Vader is going to the French bakery to get three baguettes and two desserts. It's his favourite: pain, pain, pain, tarte tatin, tarte tatin.

• Like 1

Had to give that a like considering my love of bad puns/wordplay (where I got the nick from).

Saw a couple writers had grumbled about the declaration, one said "This looks like a 450 pitch and England are short of that". But I think that was again a bit of disregard for the cricket norms. Under the old ways , you want to bat through the day and make Australia think about "Damnit, we were in the field all day, and we still haven't got them out".. instead it's mental games of a different view. they were aiming to see if they could get a huge total, AND one or more of their batsman, tired from being in the field al day, got out due to England's bowlers mostly being rested.

I do admit that I was thinking more of the "runs wins matches" and not "Wickets win matches" by saying that they shouldn't have declared, because well, if you give Root and crew a couple more overs to thrash at deliveries in a Test meets T20 manner (Test20?) you could have got perhaps 20-30 more runs, but then they wouldn't have had a chance to bowl at tired Aussie batsmen

• Like 2