DVDVR Message Board

The Cricket Thread, Mark 2

SirFozzie

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

Man, the Fifth Test would have been even more dramatic going into it at 2-2 than 2-1 Australia. England would have tried to have made history coming back from 2-0 down. Stupid rain washing away the Fourth Test.

England should have gone harder to force a result in the 4th Test, knowing (a) they needed to win and (b) that the weather forecast was dire

• Like 2

Yeah, while the stakes aren't as big as they could be due to the Fourth Test rain ruining things, this has the feel of the Triple H vs Undertaker match in that it's the "end of an era", at least as the Ashes are concerned for so many players.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Yeah, while the stakes aren't as big as they could be due to the Fourth Test rain ruining things, this has the feel of the Triple H vs Undertaker match in that it's the "end of an era", at least as the Ashes are concerned for so many players.

true, it is a bit of a wait until the Oz summer of 25/26 (and then return to England in 2027)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cleavy said:

England should have gone harder to force a result in the 4th Test, knowing (a) they needed to win and (b) that the weather forecast was dire

I gotta disagree here, I think England weren't wrong to pass on the declaration. With fewer runs on the board, there was always a chance that they would have had to go bat again and there still might not have been time; especially if the Aussies showed the same ability to drop anchor as Labuschagne did this Friday. If they'd have been scoring slower then perhaps, but they weren't exactly wasting time. The decision that, to my mind, cost England the Ashes was the First Test Declaration. That was a high risk, medium reward sort of proposition, which might have paid off with a wicket or two, but the wickets didn't come, and in the end, twenty or thirty runs on the board could have made a huge difference.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DangerMark said:

I gotta disagree here, I think England weren't wrong to pass on the declaration. With fewer runs on the board, there was always a chance that they would have had to go bat again and there still might not have been time; especially if the Aussies showed the same ability to drop anchor as Labuschagne did this Friday. If they'd have been scoring slower then perhaps, but they weren't exactly wasting time. The decision that, to my mind, cost England the Ashes was the First Test Declaration. That was a high risk, medium reward sort of proposition, which might have paid off with a wicket or two, but the wickets didn't come, and in the end, twenty or thirty runs on the board could have made a huge difference.

Agreed. Dropped catches and chances too by England in the first two Tests.

27 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Australia 252-3. Target 384.

274-5. Two quick wickets. Head by Ali and Smith by Woakes. Australia need 110 to win. England require 6 wickets.

Edited by The Natural

4 minutes ago, The Natural said:

274-5. Two quick wickets. Head by Ali and Smith by Woakes. Australia need 110 to win. England require 6 wickets.

274-6. Marsh gone thanks to Ali and Bairstow catching as wicketkeeper.

had to be Broad getting the final wicket for the memories, eh?

Edit: I feel comfortable in saying Stuart Broad is the first player in cricket history to finish with 600 Test wickets, a six off the last ball they faced as a Test batter, and a wicket on their last Test delivery.

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 2

Going to be some interesting calls needed to be made, given the age of that line up.

I think Starc and Hazlewood need to be limited in which formats they play in. The depth of quicks just isn't there at test level. No idea who will be rolling out next Ashes tour in three-four years time.

2027: Starc 37, Hazlewood 36, Cummins 34, Boland 38, Neser 37, Abbott 35

Jhye Richardson 30, Will Sutherland 27, Steketee 33, Wes Agar 30, Lance Morris 29, Matt Kelly 32

I hope Sutherland gets over his back injury and is fit for the upcoming series. Could be another all rounder added to the set up.

White ball set up needs to focus on Ellis and Spencer Johnson as the future.

Hopefully Pucovski can go five minutes without a concussion and take his rightful spot at top of the order.

Fuck Warner.

• Like 2

Nail in the coffin for the WTC being relevant to actual Test Cricket.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/66384125

Had an exciting as fuck series, with 4 of the five matches completed, with the fifth only fizzling due to multiple days of rain, and they're losing 29 (england 19, Australia 10) of 56 points between the two of them.

Maybe it's not  "Hey, bowl as fast as you can" instead of "Play positive, result oriented cricket" that should be the focus,.

• Like 2