DVDVR Message Board

Elementary

Reed

I'd call this the best CBS show in ages. It's about one billion times more interesting than CSI, NCIS, etc.

Highlights include:

-Lucy Lui in probably her best role

-a Sherlock Holmes that's not a cold, unlikable douche

-Some really funny lines

Not too keen about the whole Moriarty reveal

Yeah, I don't believe Natalie Dormer is old enough, or has the intimidation skills, to be the world's most dangerous criminal. And it's hard to believe Sherlock, who's pretty much a human lie detector, was with her for six months and somehow didn't notice she was deceiving him about every aspect of who she was

But we'll see where it goes.

Has anyone else been watching this?

I watched the first season, and I've been tuning into the second.  Now granted, it's no Sherlock, but it's a decent little show.  I enjoy Johnny Lee Miller as this character and how they've built his relationship with Watson.

Now the problem with the show is that I think these extended, long drawn out seasons don't work well for the storytelling.  I remember throughout the first season, Sherlock and Watson were investigating these really routine cases that really didn't require their talents.  So it has all the foibles and flaws that a lot of procedural dramas do.  

But man, Lucy Liu and Ming Na are looking really good for their ages.  

People have suggested there may be a connection between Moriarty getting treated for cancer and Mycroft having cancer too.

I mean, it sounds like a long shot, but they did go out of their way to point out Mycroft was ill. It could just be a coincidence, but maybe not.

Decent enough episode, but I wonder, are they making Watson too smart? First, she managed to catch Moriarty, now Sherlock is asking her to take a look at some of his cold cases. Watson documents Sherlock's journey and assists him, but the character isn't supposed to be his equal.

Also, I wish Bell had some personality beyond simply being "the cop that helps Sherlock that's not Gregson." He's an irritatingly bland character.

Good to see Mycroft is back though.

I am already resigned to the idea that no matter how Moriarty is handled in Elementary, it will never top

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okxD3mSnnks

in my heart, so I am just going to try to appreciate how they go about it here.

JLM is great as Holmes and I have enjoyed the evolution of the chemistry between him and Lucy Liu.

And yeah, this is turning out to be CSI / Person of Interest with a British guy.  This needs to change.

Elementary needs to introduce Irene Adler and Moriarty.  And can we at least get some modern treatment of obscure cases (Adventure of the Devil's Foot, Adventure of Black Peter) if they are trying to avoid retreading the more famous cases like Hounds of the Baskerville or Sign of the Four?

Elementary needs to introduce Irene Adler and Moriarty.

They... did.

I should've added "in a way that is not contrived or convoluted." 

The Elemetary retread of the story gives Adler / Moriarty the Ra's Al Ghul / Batman Begins gimmick of bait and switch while also giving her the Joker's sentiment from TDK of why she should not destroy her arch enemy and they make her sentiment a hubris so cutting that it provides the deus ex machina manner in which Holmes will always get the better of her..

It's going to be so disappointing if it turns out Mycroft really is just an innocent restauranteur who just wants to mend his relationship with Sherlock.  He has to be aligned with someone or something sinister. Why does he want Sherlock out of New York?

Besides, he friendzoned Lucy Lui! There has to be something up with the guy.

• Like 1

Yeah. I go back and forth on is Adler the real Moriarty or not? question. It would be a good twist, but I'm not sure the writers are going in that direction.

Although didn't The Mentalist do something similar? At the end of season 3, the guy thought he'd found the real Red John, killed him and it turned out later it was all just a ruse.

RE: Mycroft. In the books, and the Sherlock TV show, Mycroft is a high-ranking member of the British government so it's possible MI6 wants Holmes back in London for some reason.

I don't think they're outright turn Mycroft into a bad guy, so I assume there's some greater good he's working towards, even if he's not above acting ruthless to get to his goals. 

Now that's an interesting theory and that could also be the direction they're going.  The one issue I have though, if it is a matter of queen and country, why wouldn't Mycroft just ask him?  Why the subterfuge of lying about their father?  Now I suppose it could be a matter of national security and state secrets that they'd want to avoid telling him why exactly they are bringing him in.  But still, the ruse feels would feel a little too elaborate.

I liked how in Sherlock, when the Royal Family had a problem, Mycroft and co. basically dragged him naked to Buckingham palace.  I just figure if it was something like that, it would be something similar or Sherlock would be amused learning his services are being charged by the Royal Family to find some dirty pictures.

Now that's an interesting theory and that could also be the direction they're going.  The one issue I have though, if it is a matter of queen and country, why wouldn't Mycroft just ask him?  Why the subterfuge of lying about their father?  Now I suppose it could be a matter of national security and state secrets that they'd want to avoid telling him why exactly they are bringing him in.  But still, the ruse feels would feel a little too elaborate.

I think that's just the nature of TV drama. Sure, he could just come out and ask, but there's the fun in that?

Bear in mind, if everyone on Lost had just been direct and straightforward with other, the whole show could have been done in about 12 episodes.

Although didn't The Mentalist do something similar? At the end of season 3, the guy thought he'd found the real Red John, killed him and it turned out later it was all just a ruse.

They did, but the general theory there is that likely was the original intended finale for the series.

This week's episode:

-The idea of Sherlock framing an obviously guilty person is an interesting one, but I didn't like that instead  of going somewhere with it, they backed away and just had him find new evidence to convict the guy. Hopefully it gets brought up in the future, since it would be interesting to see if Watson would be willing to go along with it or, at the least not turn him in for it.

-Watson chewing out Sherlock for not being "nice" was a bit strange since we've seen him be very empathetic, to victims and their families at least. Also, Detective Coventary was an inept asshole, illustrated by the fact he gave a serial killer Sherlock's address. He deserved to get called out.

-I get that the NYPD would probably have their feathers ruffled a bit by this eccentric British guy showing up out nowhere and involving himself in matters, but, as Gregson points out, he solves more cases than anyone else. The more cases solved, the better the whole department looks right? I think the idea of this storyline was meant to be "Well, both sides have a point" but Sherlock was totally spot on. You can't argue with results.

-And who in their right mind would bitch about Lucy Lui showing up at their workplace every day? You'd think that's something people would be happy about.

-Detective Bell may be the most under-developed character on TV since Walt Jr.

-Bunche seemed very much like the typical generic serial killer you get in procedural shows. Not much depth there at all. Only cool moment was when Sherlock grabbed the knife behind his back when he showed up at the door.

-Him keeping his murder dungeon at his place of work was..strange. Especially considering they'd gone out of his way to get across how clever he was.

-I did like that this was less of a "Whodunnit?" and more of a "How do we catch him?" episode. Hopefully they try that again.

• Like 1

-The idea of Sherlock framing an obviously guilty person is an interesting one, but I didn't like that instead  of going somewhere with it, they backed away and just had him find new evidence to convict the guy. Hopefully it gets brought up in the future, since it would be interesting to see if Watson would be willing to go along with it or, at the least not turn him in for it.

Its an interesting idea, but it probably notthe right direction to go this time around as stuff like this needs a bit of ambiguity/mystery. It died as a decent option the minute Sherlock blurted out he was going to do it.

-Watson chewing out Sherlock for not being "nice" was a bit strange since we've seen him be very empathetic, to victims and their families at least. Also, Detective Coventary was an inept asshole, illustrated by the fact he gave a serial killer Sherlock's address. He deserved to get called out.

It was more about not pissing the people they are going to have to work with who can make their jobs all the more difficult if pissed off by Holmes. Coventary was definitely an inept asshole, but if Holmes hadn't pissed him off, he may have never gone to see Bunche and told him their address.

• 2 weeks later...