DVDVR Message Board

It's Clubberin' Time!

Both, with increasing ferocity and conversely less selling as the match progresses, to the point of exhaustion and spent passion climax (and then a cigarette).

I always noticed that Hansen, and Brody and Abdullah and Vader and TJSingh and Sheik and even Wiiliams/Gordy and Sapp, were revered by the Japanese for exactly what Matt D described - these gaijin are a force of nature, unstoppable and chaotic, and must be dealt with in sccordance to the warrior smarts of whoever is fated to face them, and thus were feared and respected. This gimmick was in the eyes of the audience, not necessarily adopted by the worker but the smart ones used this perception - making this either m,ore worked or slightly shooty, depending on how you look at it.

I am a big Flair mark but with the big pic you can see his faults. That's true for everybody; he is #1, or at least the one to beat for that spot. He both suffers AND benefits from having so much footage of him available. Part of the context in this debate is one's age - who did you grow up with as champ, and/or who were you "smartened up" to a "real" champion? The kind of wreslting you emotionally and/or intellectually bond with affects your opinion evermore. The older guys suffer from lack of footage - do the newer one suffer from overexposure (or extant embarrassing backyard/indy botches)?

I like how the CLUBBERIN Thread has temporarily become the intellectual analysis pulpit...

3.12.1977_0.55.38.00.jpg?resize=300,225&

- RAF

• Like 3

I noticed that American women in Japanese organizations are so much more crazy and violent than in America- for obvious reasons; how many times would they main event on an American card.  I wonder how awesome a women's territory in America would have been.

They all just pop up on my YouTube feed.  I can't remember what started all the 80s stuff, but it's an intensifying cycle of matches popping up, me watching the matches, even more matches pop up.  Maybe all the Rusher Kimura matches I watched for the blood sucking freaks thread (and there were a LOT of them, because Rusher didn't bleed in every match) triggered the logarithm to send me all the 80s women's wrestling, which got more intense as I watched all the 80s women's wrestling.  So it was really great because I hadn't really thought about that stuff past Dump vs Chigusa.  I had no idea that western ladies were so awesome from the time period, being taught in the mid-90s that only good women wrestlers in the 80s and 90s were Japanese.  So yeah it was good piece of luck and discovery.

It's the same thing with Joshi currently on my feed.  I was not that into Joshi but they keep sending me matches and I watch them.  And now I know who to look for in Joshi. So now I'm into modern Joshi.  

Google is a dangerous company.

• Like 1

The algorithm is definitely improving. For the longest time, I'd watch hard-hitting matches from Japan and the territories from the 1980s and the algorithm  would think, "This guy likes pro wrestling" and send me recent matches from WWE. Close, but no cigar. Now, it sends me random Kurisu and Aoyagi matches. It's learning. It's getting stronger. I'm equal parts happy about this and scared by it. 

• Like 1

Speaking of stiffness...

I was wondering what Tomohiro Ishii looked and worked like when he was younger. Was he one of those guys (like Fujiwara) who always looked middle-aged and surly? Looked around and found this.

Turns out: Twenty years ago, Tomohiro Ishii looked a LOT like mid-90s Toshiaki Kawada!! 

He was already a guy who could both dish out and take a massive ass-kicking.

Mochizukiis an absolute ass-kicker who I always forget about... then I stumble on one of his matches and I remember. He absolutely lays the kicks into Dangerous T.I.

Ishii hits a very swank Tiger Suplex Hold!! 

It's not quite pure uncut clubbering, and it's definitely clipped here and there, but this is just a ton of fun. Looks to be in a WAR ring, and in Korakuen Hall to boot (no pun intended). The ladies in the front row are having a hoot, and are almost as fun to watch as the ass-kicking. Also there is a little girl in the front row, around my daughter's age, wearing her best pretty pink dress. I'd love to know her story! I wonder how well she remembers this match. I wonder if she's ever seen the video...

Edited by gordi
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The WWF talk in the main thread brought me back to Garvin/Valentine again. This is the long version -- the album cut, if you weeel. 

I had forgotten how great this match was.  So stiff!

• Like 1

This was the next match on YouTube after that.  Valentine LAYS IT IN!

=================================

Then THIS popped up!  Santana punches him in the face! Numerously!

• Like 2