DVDVR Message Board

It's Clubberin' Time!

I posted a meme about this, but had never watched it.  And, hoo boy, I'm glad I did.  Tenryu breaks Araya's nose, throws him into chairs, and knees him square in the ribs on a splash off the barricade.  In return Araya just whips the everloving fuck out of Tenryu with a kendo stick AND THEN STABS HIM WITH THE BROKEN END!  After that they mostly just stiff the hell out of each other.  

• Like 1

I am starting to become a believer that Tenryu is definitely a top 5 guy all time and he's getting super close to top 3 for me. Jumbo was a smarter and significantly more polished wrestler but Tenryu's longevity, presence, unpredictability, and adaptability I think have pushed him ahead of Jumbo in my mind at this point. I used to have Hansen, Kawada, Hokuto, Bret, Jumbo as my top 5, now it's HEAVEN DRAGON in there. Love Jumbo to bits but Tenryu, man... Nothing quite like it.

Holy shit, that rolling senton off the first(?!) rope to the outside was insane. This is like the January 1990 Takagi ass beating but somehow less violent and more controlled feeling despite the broken nose and blood, lol. 

Speaking of:

I'm sure most of you that would watch this have already seen it recently, but just in case. Takagi/Arashi was serving as Araya's second in the above match. Talk about two blah pro wrestlers that Tenryu got great matches out of through will, violence, and intensity and did it about 8 years apart. I need a comprehensive best of WAR set (or just a Tenryu set).

edit: when I was first really getting into Japanese wrestling it was around 2000 and 2001. So people were talking about this credible career resurgence for Tenryu with those Mutoh matches. Bitch! HE NEVER WENT ANYWHERE. He and Mutoh had two stellar matches in NJPW in '99. Nobody watched latter stages WAR, I guess. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

Tenryu is definitely someone I've appreciated more as my wrestling tastes have changed and I appreciate surliness and violence much more.  He's up there with Choshu for guys who can do a lot with a very simple moveset.

Also, an unappreciated part of the match is Tenryu throwing a chair at Araya's ass when he's on the top rope.

• Like 1

Yeah, the classic mat battles from the '70s are nice and all but sometimes I just want to see a surly motherfucker chop a guy in the throat and club him really hard with a lariat.

• Like 1

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=111&nr=6904

This is apparently where Kojima gets his nose broken. So... another one?

Tenryu/Shiro Koshinaka vs. Satoshi Kojima/Tatsumi Fujinami - NEW JAPAN TV (4/25/98, taped 4/4/98) (by DEAN RASMUSSEN):
This one gets mention in the cut out bin for one main reason. During the match, Kojima gets his nose busted up. The first time around when I saw it, I thought it was an accident, when reviewing the tapes with Pete, he informed me it was apparently a planned spot. Going back, it's pretty brutal as Shiro and Tenryu really just go wobby on Kojima's face, from punches, to stepping on his face. Yeah, I can see any big two wrestler letting someone hardway bust up their nose for an angle (Mick Foley excluded). As far as the match goes, Tenryu seems to be trying pretty hard and he's work pretty stiff (except for his powerbomb and old man enzugiri). It's a pretty ok match.

Of course looking for the match just led me to another match with one different participant, being the one with the broken nose. And the date's wrong in one of the circumstances.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

These matches were awesome. Why doesn't the NXT women's division challenge the Impact Knockouts to a ten woman match?  This is non-stop and then boils down to Bull Nakano and Eagle Sawai beating the crap out of each other.  The problem for Eagle is that they eliminated everyone on the LLPW side but left Bat Yoshinaga to help Bull!  YIPES!

• Like 1

How have I never seen THIS?  Akira Hokuto and Bull Nakano are locked in a cage with each other and they beat the hell out of each other and then they hit and miss giant highspots off the top.

• Like 2

This ALMOST has enough blood to make the blood sucking freaks thread but does have the late great Eddie Gilbert and Rey Gonzalez punching each other in the face.  By the end of this, everybody on the island of Puerto Rico is punching each other in the face.  True classic PR match in that there is not a single wrestling hold at all.  So great!

• Like 2

I can't imagine how this hasn't been posted on the board somewhere but it's not in this thread yet.  SO HERE YA GO!  Hansen and Tenryu beat the living dogshit out of each other.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You'd think a match that starts with somebody getting cracked with light tubes would be bloodier, but this leans more to the clubbering side of the equation with running headbutts, violent tosses of chairs (this could very well be called the CTE Match), Wotan giving one of the oldsters the most ridiculous two-handed chop that has the crowd falling out of their seats, and Fishman Jr. with an airplane spin into a DVD that wrecks three rows of seating. Total chaos.

Aja Kong is the Queen of Clubbering.  I did not know this match existed and one would assume it would have showed up when I was re-examining Combat Toyota's body of work.  Yes.  One would assume.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, DEAN said:

Aja Kong is the Queen of Clubbering.  I did not know this match existed and one would assume it would have showed up when I was re-examining Combat Toyota's body of work.  Yes.  One would assume.

Good god, what a hoss battle. Combat Toyota was a hell of a bumper for a superheavyweight.

• Like 2

My oh my. I don't think in any other match you will see Vader take such abuse. He's old, swollen, past his prime, but he still has the killshot if you don't watch him. Kawada just wiles on him the whole time but there's always that Finger of God waiting to strike. And when it does...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1