DVDVR Message Board

It's Clubberin' Time!

Man, this is a tagteam assbeating.  Rina Yamashita and Hiroyo Matsumoto must have punched each others grandmas in the face before the match.

• Like 1

This is the Marvelous version of the angry woman fight.  Kaoru Ito is awesome as the biggest meanest lady whose offense in undeniable because of how big she is.  Takuma Iroha is such an odd wrestled.  She is an ass-stomper but she always works to the match as opposed to getting herself over.  Here she accidentally kicks her teammates more than her opponents.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DEAN said:

Takuma Iroha is such an odd wrestled.  She is an ass-stomper but she always works to the match as opposed to getting herself over.

If you haven't yet you should check out her match against Mayu Iwatani from Stardom earlier in the year. Iroha commands that crowd so damn easily. Its amazing and just a bit disappointing having watched Stardom from the beginning and knowing that she would have been ace there years ago had she not left to get even better mentoring under Chigusa. 

• Like 1

This is shorter than the match I posted in the Wrestling Machine thread.  They just fucking lay it in right after Iroha hits the AWWWWWESOME Everest Suplex.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 7:10 PM, mattdangerously said:

Abby vs Hogan sounds like a nightmare on paper, but ends up being pretty enjoyable. 

Watched this and really enjoyed it. For context, this match took place on the same weekend Rocky III came out.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

Monster Ripper and Devil Masami were an awesome ass stomping tagteam.  The Pat Benatar of Women's wrestling, Mimi Hagiwara and Jumbo Hori fight back against impossible odds.

• Like 1

Jesus.  Arisa Nakajima and Yoshiko beat the living hell out of each other.  Edited to get rid of the non-violent parts.

I don't see how anyone could watch the PR 80s set and not come out of it with the view that Invader #1 wasn't one of the best ever at selling and comebacks. I always kind of wondered what he'd be like into his 50s because his style didn't really require much athleticism. This more or less answers that question even if Bronco can be an absolute goofball, which means that Invader has to take a huge chunk of it. 

Edited by Matt D

Iroha assumes the role 2000 Meiko Satomura and Nanae Takahashi and Meiko Satomura asume the role of 2000 Akira Hokuto. And then the other three wrestler and stuff.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

It's funny to me that Nagata's strikes honestly sucked pretty bad during his first giant run then suddenly he got old and pow. Boy that match is good fun.

He was also almost always the lesser of the two people in the ring in terms of charisma or likability but I really thought he was a poor man's Akiyama until later on in his career. Despite that, he was in some fantastic matches from 2000-2004.

• Like 1

He's one of those weird guys where for the longest time (and I'm not sure he ever REALLY got over this because I haven't seen much Japanese wrestling in the last decade) as long as he had someone to hold his hand, he had all the skills to have a great match. But if he had to take the wheel, yeesh. Some of his big matches are indeed very good though.

On 7/21/2020 at 5:10 AM, DEAN said:

Man, this might be the stiffest match since Tenryu retired.

The crazy thing is that they are both really nice. Absolute sweethearts. Could not be kinder or more friendly... then they step in the ring and flip that f'n switch...

532426_10151102829435358_393507106_n.jpg

1017414_10151707726175358_92556164_n.jpg

Edited by gordi
  • Like 4

On 7/28/2020 at 11:34 PM, Death From Above said:

He's one of those weird guys where for the longest time (and I'm not sure he ever REALLY got over this because I haven't seen much Japanese wrestling in the last decade) as long as he had someone to hold his hand, he had all the skills to have a great match. But if he had to take the wheel, yeesh. Some of his big matches are indeed very good though.

I'd say Nagata is highly respected, and over in that regard, to modern fans--even if he never clicked is a transcendent top guy. (To be fair, New Japan throwing him into shoot fights did him no favors here.) It probably also must mean something that he made the WON HOF on the back of a unanimous Japanese vote, and that Danielson and Regal both cite him as one of their all-time favorites to work with. 

Edited by Beech27

52 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

I'd say Nagata is highly respected, and over in that regard, to modern fans--even if he never clicked is a transcendent top guy. (To be fair, New Japan throwing him into shoot fights did him no favors here.) It probably also must mean something that he made the WON HOF on the back of a unanimous Japanese vote, and that Danielson and Regal both cite him as one of their all-time favorites to work with. 

I thought it was confirmed back then that Nagata made it in because of the wrestler vote, like everyone who ever worked in NJPW with him voted for him?

5 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I thought it was confirmed back then that Nagata made it in because of the wrestler vote, like everyone who ever worked in NJPW with him voted for him?

That could be it. Essentially, the gist seems to be he's highly respected by those he's worked with. Never quite had whatever it takes to be a transcendent star, but did his best at that level because New Japan needed him to; then, put over Tanahashi when it was time, and worked his way down the card.