DVDVR Message Board

2020 HORROR MOVIES

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Goddammit. 

Who do we have left now? Carpenter and Cronenberg? Sam Raimi? 

RIP

Of the classic directors, that's just about it but we also have a new class of up and comers like Ti West, Mike Flanagan, Jason Eisner, the bros that make up Radio Silence, and Adam Wingard to name a few.

The future is in good hands.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Sobering fact brought on by the question of Who Is Left?

Of the cadre of directors that contributed to the two seasons of Master of Horror,  two are deceased (Stuart Gordon, Tobe Hooper) and the average age of the remaining directors is about 67. 

Most of the directors are in their late 60's to early 70's but Lucky McKee and Brad Anderson bring the average down since they are practically kids in that grouping.

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I forgot about Argento but, uh, there are reasons why. 

EDIT: We still got Joe Dante too!

I am never sure why I always seem to assume that both Joe Dante and John Landis are dead at any given point in time.

Dante has a podcast where he interviews other creative people about movies that influenced them. He did a Gremlins 2 retrospective with the Chapo Traphouse gang pretty recently too.

I don’t think we’ll hear from Landis in any significant way ever again. 

15 hours ago, Control said:

Don Coscarelli is still kicking and someday someone will give that fucking guy some money. 

I need a big budget reboot of the Phantasm saga so that Reggie gets the epic ending he deserves.  Ravager left a lot to be desired.

I think I could live with Doug Jones as the Tall Man with someone else doing the voice acting.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I would like to see the guys that made The Void get a big budget and basically pull an Evil Dead 2 where they do a glorified remake of their own movie. It was apparent from their commentary that they weren't able to do half the stuff they envisioned due to lack of a budget. I see one of the co-directors just finished something called Psycho Goreman starring the Astron-6 crew. 

I recently watched Gordon's The Evil Clergyman on Tubi. David Gale from Re-Animator played a human-faced rat pretty much like the same creature in Gordon's Dreams in The Witch House episode of Masters of Horror. He was the real stand-out.  At least we still have Richard Stanley's other two Lovecraft adaptations to look forward to. Given his career though, there's no telling if or when they'll actually get made.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

I recently watched Gordon's The Evil Clergyman on Tubi. David Gale from Re-Animator played a human-faced rat pretty much like the same creature in Gordon's Dreams in The Witch House episode of Masters of Horror. He was the real stand-out.  At least we still have Richard Stanley's other two Lovecraft adaptations to look forward to. Given his career though, there's no telling if or when they'll actually get made.

I will put on my Tubi hat again and tell you that I noticed that Castle Freak was in my Trending queue yesterday.

Tubi also has the entire Masters of Horror run including the banned episode, Imprint.  To this day I am still not sure why there was so much fuss over Imprint when Pelts and Jenifer are just as disturbing and (shocker!) both of those are Dario Argento entries.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Unless Stanley is totally cursed (he dabbles in witchcraft enough to know) then those adaptations will probably go forward. He stayed away from making films for a reason, which is all in the Lost Soul documentary about Island of Dr. Moreau. After watching that you will definitely understand...

• Like 1

Yeah, I saw the Lost Souls documentary and definitely understand why he went on a self-imposed exile from making movies. 

Jennifer was probably the most messed up one to me too. I watched a video on YouTube (of the original comic book it was adapted from) with narration, and that might have been even more messed up. Pelts was good too. Those two episodes are right up there with Cigarette Burns also being a personal favorite. 

Edited by FluffSnackwell
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Yeah, I saw the Lost Souls documentary and definitely understand why he went on a self-imposed exile from making movies. 

Jennifer was probably the most messed up one to me too. I watched a video on YouTube (of the original comic book it was adapted from) with narration, and that might have been even more messed up. Pelts was good too. Those two episodes are right up there with Cigarette Burns also being a personal favorite. 

Cigarette Burns is the best of the lot, IMO.  That was the best thing that Carpenter has done since Big Trouble In Little China.

And yeah, my list of favorite episodes goes something like Cigarette Burns, Imprint, Dance of the Dead, Dreams of the Witch House and then Jenifer and Pelts.

Fair Haired Child, The Damned Thing, and The Screwfly Solution are also pretty good.

Edited by J.T.

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

I need a big budget reboot of the Phantasm saga so that Reggie gets the epic ending he deserves.  Ravager left a lot to be desired.

I think I could live with Doug Jones as the Tall Man with someone else doing the voice acting.

He's talked about a PHANTASM tv series. Honestly, TV or film, it's too bad some streaming service hasn't taken a chance on him--he makes films on the cheap that tend to get cult status and make a tidy profit. When you look at the shit that does end up on those services...

Anyway, for a new Tall Man, I'd thought of Tony Todd, but Doug Jones is a great choice. He could do the voice too--no need to mimic Angus. He can hiss "Booooooy!"

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Control said:

He's talked about a PHANTASM tv series. Honestly, TV or film, it's too bad some streaming service hasn't taken a chance on him--he makes films on the cheap that tend to get cult status and make a tidy profit. When you look at the shit that does end up on those services...

Anyway, for a new Tall Man, I'd thought of Tony Todd, but Doug Jones is a great choice. He could do the voice too--no need to mimic Angus. He can hiss "Booooooy!"

I would love for Shudder to pick that up, but it needs to have a ginormous budget so it may be a task for HBO. 

Phantasm needs to start off local and intimate and then have the scope of something like the current season of Westworld when all hell breaks lose and the Tall Man is turning the planet into a giant necropolis.

CGI should also give the Orbs more freedom of movement, but there needs to be at least one old school skull skewering / brain drilling scene.

And why not have Doug Jones handle the physicality while Tony Todd tackles the voice work?  It worked for Darth Vader, right?

Edited by J.T.

1 minute ago, (BP) said:

As far as MoH, I remember Family being pretty good, but I’m a pretty big Wendt-head, so maybe it was the novelty of seeing Norm Peterson as a serial killer. 

I like that episode if only for casting Wendt against type.  I couldn't see him as lovable Norm again after that.

• Like 1

Full Moon actually has several FREE movies, including HEAD OF THE FAMILY and the first PUPPET MASTER (though it's not in the free section, but the Puppet Master section).

Just thinking that now might be a good time for free movie options.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

That looks utterly bonkers. 

And now I will finally go watch Train to Busan.

And Seoul Station since you also have Shudder.

EDIT:  IT'S ON TUBI ALONG WITH DUBBED AND SUBBD VERSIONS OF TRAIN TO BUSAN~! 

DOUBLE FEATURE FOR PIZZA AND MOVIE NIGHT ON COVID LOCKDOWN~!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1