DVDVR Message Board

A Good Walk Spoiled

Dolfan in NYC

You can tell which party someone is by there questions. 

One Senator kept asking about LGBT issues, one kept asking about China and one guy said "why are we discussing golf instead of [the First Son]?" 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

BBC Sport:

Spain's Carlota Ciganda sensationally holed the putt that saw Europe retain the Solheim Cup as they tied 14-14 with the United States in her homeland.

Ciganda knocked in a two-footer on the 17th to beat Nelly Korda in a nerve-shredding finale at Finca Cortesin.

She won all four matches she played in and was immediately hugged by her emotional captain Suzann Pettersen.

"I think it was meant to be. It came down to Carlota, in Spain, in her own hands," said Pettersen.

"I walked with her down 16 and said, 'Is this how you wanted it? Because it's all in your hands in now.' And she was like, 'I'm up for it'."

Ciganda added: "I'm so happy just to do this for Suzann, for Spain. I'm just so proud. I'm so happy to do this for everyone here of the family, the Spanish crowd, this is just amazing.

"When I saw Suzann on 16, she told me a couple of things, and I was like, 'I'm just going to do this for her, because I love her and she deserves this'."

The teams were locked together at 8-8 heading into Sunday's 12 singles matches with defending champions Europe needing to get to 14 to keep the cup.

The US required 14½ points to regain the trophy they last won in 2017 and for large parts of Sunday looked like they were going to achieve their aim.

But a quite thrilling final hour saw Europe fight back, as they have been doing since losing the opening session 4-0 on Friday.

Caroline Hedwall produced the most stunning turnaround, winning five of the last six holes to win her match against Ally Ewing from three down after 12. The Swede, one of Pettersen's wildcard picks, repaid her captain in full, holing big putts on 16 and 17, feeding off the energy of the fans, as she secured what turned out to be a valuable point.

That dragged Europe to 13-12 behind but moments later, both Ciganda and Maja Stark missed putts that shifted the momentum back to the Americans.

Ciganda's looked the most costly. She had led by three holes after eight, but world number three Korda picked away at that lead and was all square after 15. Stark, meanwhile, was left one up with two to play against US Open champion Allisen Corpuz.

Korda further ratcheted up the pressure, hitting her second into the par-four 16th to six feet. But Ciganda responded, firing her ball in to two feet. Korda then nervously stabbed her birdie putt wide, while the Spaniard tapped in hers to grasp back the momentum.

Meanwhile, Corpuz generously conceded a two-foot putt that gave Stark another European point that set the scene for Ciganda.

And the Spaniard delivered. She almost holed her tee shot to the delight of the thousands that had surrounded the par-three 17th. A stunned Korda leaked her effort left and could only chip five feet beyond the hole. The American holed her putt, leaving Ciganda to win that crucial 14th point.

She was swamped by her team-mates, the green being trampled by dozens of feet, perhaps forgetting that Emily Pedersen and Lexi Thompson were waiting to play, with their match still in the balance.

BBC Sport:

To illustrate Europe's dominance, they did not trail in any match and won 22 holes to the American's 10 as the defending champions suffered a demoralising morning.

It is the first time Europe has won an opening session since 2006, at the K Club in Ireland, and they went on to win all five sessions in that Ryder Cup - the only time that's happened for either side - as they romped to an 18½-9½ victory.

BBC Sport:

Viktor Hovland and Ludvig Aberg stormed to a record Ryder Cup victory that left world number one Scottie Scheffler in tears as Europe surged further ahead.

Europe won three of the four morning foursomes in Rome to stretch their lead over the United States to 9½-2½.

Hovland, and rookie Aberg, aided by some poor play by Scheffler and Brooks Koepka, romped to a 9&7 triumph.

And there was no questioning what a record defeat meant to Scheffler either as the Texan broke down as he was driven away on a buggy.

Max Homa and Brian Harman combined to give the Americans their first full point of the contest with a 4&2 win.

But it was scant consolation as the visitors were again trounced in the alternate shot format, amid reports of unrest in the US team.

Edited by The Natural

BBC Sport:

It is understood that Patrick Cantlay has refused to wear a cap this week because he is not getting paid to play in the biennial contest. The US players were paid to play in the Presidents Cup - a Ryder Cup equivalent against a rest of the world team.

Cantlay was also the only US player to not wear a cap in their team photos.

---

I'd play for my own country for free.

BBC Sport:

Luke Donald endured a "rollercoaster of emotions" as Europe regained the Ryder Cup in dramatic fashion in Rome.

Donald's mantra all week was about getting off to a "fast start" and his players had delivered on Friday and Saturday, winning both morning sessions 4-0 and 3-1 as Europe built a 10½-5½ lead to take into Sunday.

And the Englishman, who won all four Ryder Cups he contested as a player, former world number one as well stacked the top singles matches with his best players.

The plan seemed to be working with European blue flooding the scoreboards as they led in five of the top six matches.

World number four Viktor Hovland delivered the first point, racing three up after six against Collin Morikawa before sealing a 4&3 win.

But it was the top match that was providing all the drama.

World number three Jon Rahm was taking on top-ranked American Scottie Scheffler in a heavyweight contest that was the Ryder Cup in microcosm, ebbing and flowing as the momentum switched between the pair.

Rahm was two ahead after five, then Scheffler punched back with three birdies in the next six holes to sneak one ahead after 11.

The intensity increased as Rahm birdied the next two to retake the lead; Scheffler retaliated with successive birdies of his own to claim the next two.

But the American was unable to deliver the knockout blow, missing from 15 feet to win the match on the 17th.

And when Rahm cosied a putt from about 60 feet to six inches on the last, it proved enough to win a half point and put Europe 12-6 ahead.

World number two Rory McIlroy and Englishman Tyrrell Hatton added two more points, seeing off Sam Burns and Open champion Brian Harman respectively to take Europe to 14 points and on the brink of regaining the trophy they lost so heavily at Whistling Straits in 2021.

---

It's even more impressive as Captain Luke Donald replaced Captain Henrik Stenson who sold out for the bloody money of LIV.

Edited by The Natural

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...