DVDVR Message Board

A Good Walk Spoiled

Dolfan in NYC

5 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Patrick Reed and Bryson DeChambeau reportedly jumping, shit is getting real. They must be cutting more giant checks to players to just show up. I wonder if the LIV Tour fails for whatever reason if the PGA Tour will take everyone back with no issue or will be difficult about it.

I saw someone say over $400m so far paid to players.

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I saw someone say over $400m so far paid to players.

Its wild that these well known golfers with long successful careers are getting paid more to just PLAY in eight tournaments than they've made total in their entire professional careers (on the courses). Just shows that LIV is making no effort to make a profit whatsoever. I have no idea what their goal even is as, "sportswashing" doesn't work if literally no one is buying it, I don't see how this is improving anything for the Saudis. If anything it is putting even more of a spotlight on their actions.

20 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Tiger Woods announced he's skipping the US Open to keep strengthening his leg.   

He hopes to go to The Open Championship in July. 

Yeah, The Open is a big one for Tiger Woods as it's at St. Andrews, his favourite golf course and it's the 150th edition.

Ban Hammer dropped, to the surprise of no one.

Wonder if they announced it today in the hopes of getting Bryson, Reed, and anyone else still on the fence to change their minds. A lot of that I think will depend on what the major championships decide to do for next year and beyond as I think some players would be satisfied getting the LIV money + still doing the majors anyway.

53 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Wonder if they announced it today in the hopes of getting Bryson, Reed, and anyone else still on the fence to change their minds. A lot of that I think will depend on what the major championships decide to do for next year and beyond as I think some players would be satisfied getting the LIV money + still doing the majors anyway.

I think the Dustin Johnson story specifically said that he was content with having his exemptions into all of the USGA events for the majors as a Masters winner, which impacted his decision. 

All the controversy is getting me interested in the Saudi tour.  I'm planning to at least check it out.

As a casual fan, I feel like the PGA is well within its rights to prevent members from playing at a competing event, but the overheated discourse makes them look like those immature soccer parents who protest when the rival private school wins a ball game because "they can recruit anyone."  Don't believe for a second that the PGA's objection is anything but fear that the Saudi tour could become realistic competition if not quashed.

Not a big fan of the Saudi's but I don't get the constant blood money references either.  US government does business with many countries with terrible human rights records, including Saudi Arabia, China, Russia, etc.  NBA does a lot of business in China.  Out of curiosity, do you guys curse your China-made electronics or scream "blood money" at your car every time you gas up?

• 2 weeks later...

In response to the LIV Golf threat, the PGA Tour hopes to introduce a revamped schedule that will include increased purses worth at least $20 million in at least eight existing marquee events and three new events in a global golf series that will include no cuts, limited fields and purses of at least $25 million, sources told ESPN on Tuesday.

The details are still being finalized and are subject to change, the sources said, but the overhaul of the PGA Tour schedule is expected to be approved for 2023, as LIV Golf continues to pluck former major champions and other players from the tour's roster of members.

PGA Tour members were told of the plans in a meeting at the Travelers Championship in Cromwell, Connecticut, on Tuesday morning. The tour's players advisory committee, which is scheduled to meet later Tuesday, and its policy board would still have to approve the changes.

The PGA Tour is also returning to a calendar-year schedule, instead of a wraparound schedule that is currently being used. Top players have complained of there being no true offseason. If they don't play in events in the fall at the start of the wraparound schedule, they're far behind in points when they return to action after Jan. 1.

According to sources, the increased purses would include existing tournaments such as the Sentry Tournament of Champions, the Genesis Invitational, Arnold Palmer Invitational, the Players Championship, the Memorial Tournament and others. Sources said the increased purses would be paid from sponsors or the tour's reserves.

Additionally, three new international events, which would include no cuts and as many as the top 60 players in the previous season's FedEx Cup standings, would be introduced. The events would not have anchor cities and would move around like the major championships, according to sources.

A player who attended the meeting with PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan on Tuesday told ESPN, "That's the most engaged I've ever seen the membership."

The player said he was impressed with the plan that Monahan presented.

"Jay was really great," he said.

PGA Tour players have been lured to LIV Golf by signing bonuses of $100 million to $200 million, according to sources, and the prospect of making more money on the course in fewer tournaments. LIV Golf is being financed by Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund, which is reportedly worth more than $600 billion.

"No way to combat that," the player said. "We know that. But it's three events for $25 million and it's not coming out of our pocket. Who's going to disagree with that?"

Harris English, the defending champion at this week's Travelers Championship, said he thinks it's possible these new measures might be enough to deter more players from defecting to LIV Golf.

"I think it can be, for sure," English said. "One of the things out here on the PGA Tour, I mean, we have a lot of tournaments and I think the fall series has been tough. ... Guys have families and they want to play a little less golf. However they can manage that to the best of both worlds of having the top players and the guys who are fighting for their card."

I mean that was kinda Phil's point, right? Aside from the gobs and gobs of money he got to switch over, not claiming he is a virtuous person or anything. The "non-profit" PGA Association suddenly found $20 million to add to purses, what a coincidence. I don't pretend to understand all the finances of the PGA but its a little suspect that now they suddenly figure out a way to raise the purses right as people are leaving.

The PGA will no doubt win this "war" but a little competition never hurt anyone, especially if it improves things for those on the Tour.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Daly fucked up the last three holes and missed the cut by 3.  Tiger missed by... a whole lot more.  

That said...  

FXuxNUNUIAEpOip?format=jpg&name=large

Everyone's sort of implying that this may be it for El.  Guess we'll see, but that's a hell of a picture. 

• Like 1

Well, because you just knew this was going to happen sooner or later....  The former President will be hosting LIV tournaments at his clubs in Bedminster, NJ and Doral, FL. 

Yesterday, the Bedminster course was protested by 9/11 victims' families to demand he cancel the tournament. 

In other cute news, James Hahn put out a tweet begging for a spot on the LIV tour defending the Saudis, it was quickly deleted.

I'll be honest, I am surprised how many are going. I figured even if more went later, that they'd wait to see if there actually is a season two before going all-in and torching the PGA and DP World bridges. They must be offering not just a lot of money, but a lot of money up front (Bryson confirmed as much) that the players are willing to potentially throw away their career for something there is no guarantee will last.

• Like 1