DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 6

Elsalvajeloco

On 5/23/2019 at 8:12 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

I dunno if Mike was a prospect as much as a pseudo celebrity who was a boxer. Compare him to somebody like Robeisy Ramirez (who Top Rank just signed) and it'll tell you how far Top Rank has come from the days of Mike Lee and Tom Zbikowski in terms of sincerity for signing fighters.

Poor Ramirez.  Safe to say his debut this weekend didn't go according to script

17 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Poor Ramirez.  Safe to say his debut this weekend didn't go according to script

It didn't help that the Frampton fight fell through so they (specifically Tessitore and Timothy Bradley) literally spent almost half an hour burying him after the fight. That was rough. Then, they had to do the hard sell on Jason Sosa vs. a guy PBC didn't even want in Haskell Rhodes as a main event.

But yeah, Adan Gonzales at 4-2 looked more like a prospect than Robeisy Ramirez. It was either after the Berlanga one round destruction of some French jobber or at the top of the program where they spent a few minutes trying to sell people on Ramirez and the amateur wins over Michael Conlan and Shakur Stevenson. However, this is the bed they made along with Top Rank. They've been building towards the inevitable clash (which didn't happen last week) between Conlan and Vladimir Nikitin. So you got to think they were building towards Robeisy Ramirez fighting one of those three guys in the next 18 to 24 months. Then, he just came out and looked absolutely godawful. At least Verdejo was around for five years before he got exposed. They did the video package about Cuban boxing and then the end result was "Yeah, thank god this man defected so he can look like a fighter who had about six amateur bouts total before making his pro debut". Top Rank was lucky this wasn't on ESPN.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:58 PM, The Natural said:

I can now say Fuck Saudi Arabia in another section of the board.

By the sounds of things, Andy Ruiz agrees with you. He's said he doesn't want to go there and the fight should be in the USA.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't ventured in here in a long time, but I need a favor.

A friend of mine is starting to get into boxing, and is going back to watch old fights too.  I have a really solid resource for recommended fights 2000-current, but I have lost everything I had for anything prior to that, other than my own memory. Does anyone frequent a forum or anything that touches on this sort of stuff, or have like a top-20(or whatever) per decade?

2 hours ago, RandomAct said:

I haven't ventured in here in a long time, but I need a favor.

A friend of mine is starting to get into boxing, and is going back to watch old fights too.  I have a really solid resource for recommended fights 2000-current, but I have lost everything I had for anything prior to that, other than my own memory. Does anyone frequent a forum or anything that touches on this sort of stuff, or have like a top-20(or whatever) per decade?

https://www.boxingforum24.com/threads/greatest-fight-of-the-21st-century-so-far.599502/

That link has some suggestions and not just the Ring Magazine FOTYs.

I would think Queensbury Rules also has some listicles from past years that would be a little bit more comprehensive. 

• Like 1

EDjbXdCXoAE0Cuk?format=jpg&name=small

Yes, this is real.

This is a hail mary pass from DAZN and Eddie Hearn, but the type of people who bought that fight the first time aren't ones who are going to stick around for your average boxing content on DAZN. Billy Joe Saunders (and Devin Haney if he wins next week) is suppose to be on the undercard. 

You'd think they'd want to avoid having actual boxers on the undercard, so as not to expose how limited the main eventers are in comparison. But seeing as this is a pro fight card, putting unqualified, undertrained non-athletic YouTubers in the prelims would be morally dodgy (and legally difficult). If you watch some of the prelims from KSI's first two shows, a couple of those fighters had no business being in the building, never mind the ring.

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

You'd think they'd want to avoid having actual boxers on the undercard, so as not to expose how limited the main eventers are in comparison. But seeing as this is a pro fight card, putting unqualified, undertrained non-athletic YouTubers in the prelims would be morally dodgy (and legally difficult). If you watch some of the prelims from KSI's first two shows, a couple of those fighters had no business being in the building, never mind the ring.

DAZN is trying to build themselves up as the destination for top level boxing. The problem is you can make more money doing a fight between Youtubers than a fight like Jose Ramirez vs. Mo Hooker. So why did DAZN decide to spend a couple hundred million on boxing content when boxing isn't replete with enough stars to make it worth it in the first place?

It's probably an investment scam that's gotten completely out of hand. Likely their plan was to start a business, secure investment capital, sit on the money and then go out of business without actually doing anything. But they accidentally got too much investment and now have to fight to make it viable, even though they're selling snowballs to eskimos.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AxB said:

It's probably an investment scam that's gotten completely out of hand. Likely their plan was to start a business, secure investment capital, sit on the money and then go out of business without actually doing anything. But they accidentally got too much investment and now have to fight to make it viable, even though they're selling snowballs to eskimos.

It's sad because they really were expecting (and needing) to have Canelo fight next weekend. So when all that went to shit someone probably remembered that Dana turned down an offer to let Logan Paul fight in the UFC and pitched it to boxing's Dana White, Eddie Hearn. This stunt is probably going to help them a little bit but I can't see DAZN making it another year or two. This boat is going to go down at some point. It's just a matter of when now.

They have rights to Premier League and some NFL/MLB in Canada. I know a handful of my friends and I have signed up, so I think they'll do okay here. I know Canada is nothing in the grand scheme of things though. I hope they can survive for a little bit because, though expensive, it's a pretty great service.

Just now, Oyaji said:

They have rights to Premier League and some NFL/MLB in Canada. I know a handful of my friends and I have signed up, so I think they'll do okay here. I know Canada is nothing in the grand scheme of things though. I hope they can survive for a little bit because, though expensive, it's a pretty great service.

I should clarify as to say the boxing/MMA wing ran by Hearn and not the entire platform itself. I see them getting out of the boxing and MMA game before long or at least before it starts sinking the other properties they own the rights to.

Boxing is really going to squander this era of investment.  That 2 hours of wasted TV time with the card on Fox last week was a joke.  Feel sorry when the TV/Streaming rights fees bubble explodes and how small the paydays get.  Surprised they don't force Canelo to fight every other month like Sky Sports did to Chris Eubank back when they signed him to a big deal and he defended the title like 6 times in 1994

Jarret Hurd is backing out of a rematch with Julian Williams.  Wonder if he is hurt or is just moving to 160.  And in another installment of why boxing sucks.  Less than a week after Lomachenko won the vacant WBC Lightweight title.  Devin Haney and Zaur Abdullaev will fight for the interim WBC Lightweight tile on September 13.  You know I gave Suliaman credit for making the Flyweight title fight on the Lomachenko undercard a No Contest due to the foul which ended the fight since the prevailing wisdom is the WBC never decides against a Mexican fighter but then he does this.

10 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Jarret Hurd is backing out of a rematch with Julian Williams.  Wonder if he is hurt or is just moving to 160.  And in another installment of why boxing sucks.  Less than a week after Lomachenko won the vacant WBC Lightweight title.  Devin Haney and Zaur Abdullaev will fight for the interim WBC Lightweight tile on September 13.  You know I gave Suliaman credit for making the Flyweight title fight on the Lomachenko undercard a No Contest due to the foul which ended the fight since the prevailing wisdom is the WBC never decides against a Mexican fighter but then he does this.

Is Eddie Hearn suppose to be Jimmy Hart to Lomachenko's Hulk Hogan or Jerry Lawler? Supposedly, Haney plans to call out Lomachenko after his upcoming fight. It's crazy that Haney as one of boxing's best prospects would challenge someone like Lomachenko at this point of his career and Hearn just signed him.

Also, I would guess Erislandy Lara after beating up on one of Canelo's jobber brothers will replace Hurd against J-Rock.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Haney can call him out all he wants.  The kid wants to be special.  Its more absurd that you fill a vacant title and crown a champion then designate a fight 2 weeks later to name an interim champion for the same belt.  Whatever WBC can do what they want.  You dont earn sanctioning fees waiting for Gary Russell Jr to defend his title once a calendar year

3 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Haney can call him out all he wants.  The kid wants to be special.  Its more absurd that you fill a vacant title and crown a champion then designate a fight 2 weeks later to name an interim champion for the same belt.  Whatever WBC can do what they want.  You dont earn sanctioning fees waiting for Gary Russell Jr to defend his title once a calendar year

The WBA does this all the time to the point where guys are fighting for a different version of the same title on the same day.

Re: Haney

After Teofimo Lopez looked average against Nakatani, I think people should slow down with just throwing their guys to the wolves. It's possible Lopez gets handled by Commey trying to cherrypick the lone title Loma doesn't own. What happened to fighting a few people who happen to be even half decent to good and then challenging the first or second best guy in division? Fighting whoever WBC (or any other org) arbitrarily ranks at 1-7 just to get a title shot is not making these guys better. Besides maybe Mason Menard and Juan Carlos Burgos (neither who are top tier lightweight contenders), I can't pick anyone Haney has fought out of a lineup if you held me at gunpoint. Same with Lopez really except replace Burgos with the other Magdaleno brother. When you have a guy you're promoting who fights in a very top heavy division why it's the elite and everyone else, you have to carefully guide their ascent. It's ok for Crolla to get destroyed by Lomachenko. His best days have been behind him. It's alright for Campbell to lose to Lomachenko. He did better than what people thought he would do. However, if I'm Eddie Hearn and I need to send a third straight guy to fight Lomachenko, it probably ain't going to be one of the better prospects if not the best I have under contract especially knowing I have a vested interest in creating stars for a platform that desperately needs stars.

Is Loma even going to do the fight though.  Arum is already making noise to have him go back down in weight.  Why wouldn't Eddie Hearn make the fight.  Is Devin Haney going to be a bigger star if he fights contenders that no one knows?  Of course not.  At least non hardcore fans have a sense of who Lomachenko is.  I am in the group that believes he is better off getting in with Loma and trying his best rather than spending the next 2 years fighting meh guys that are ranked.  Provided he doesn't look like ass next week.  I have no clue what a Zaur Abdullaev is but we will see