DVDVR Message Board

The ROH Thread

$25 for a PPV isn't going to be what keeps ROH from getting my money,

ROH being a poor imitation of what it was less than a decade ago is going to be what keeps them from getting my money.  I'd happily pay $25 if Punk and the Embassy were on the card.  RD Evans and Jay Lethal are a lot tougher sell.

Of course it wont ever be as good as when they had multiple guys who turned into some of the best workers ever but it's really, really good right now actually

I would actually put it between mid 00s ROH and late 90s ECW in terms of product. It's not as good quality wise as it was, but it is much more entertaining top to bottom as a whole while still managing to have awesome matches on a regular basis too.

Like imagine ECW without all of the terrible wrestlers combined with Danielson or Nigel reign era ROH. It'd be like 80% of that...and RD Evans is entertaining as hell

Dr. Showtime is waaayyyyy too positive about current ROH. There's some good stuff going on, but even on-its-deathbed ECW is better, simply because they had Tajiri on the show. Hell, you could argue that Rhino, Kid Kash, Jerry Lynn and EZ Money were all more entertaining at that point than anyone on the current day ROH roster.

ROH's issue is that they have created unneeded barriers to entry and nothing compelling to make it worth your while to cross that barrier.  Look at their website and try to figure out what angles are going on right now.  Are there any angles?  None are really evident from the website.  There are action photos from Supercard of Honor VII but none of them have any captions.  So who are these people?  Why are they fighting?  Who won the matches?  What were the matches?  The 'Title' pages are out of date and make it look like the Young Bucks are ReDragon and Jay Lethal is Tommaso Ciampo because again... no captions.  If I'm a WWE fan who read that article on wwe.com and came to check it out, I would be totally lost.

And the roster... god the roster.  Can there please be more guys in trunks with two-one syllable combination names?  Jay Leth-al, Ad-am Page, Ad-am Cole, Bob-by Fish, Matt Ta-ven.  There's no variety!  No wonder Michael Elgin has such a fucking goofy hair cut.  

I'm more interested in the cards they put together with the NJPW guys. Prob like a 2% chance NJPW would do this but it would be cool to see AJ win the IWGP title on 5/3 in Japan then Okada wins it back 2 weeks later in NYC.

What else? Maybe Shinsuke vs Elgin?

Pretty jealous that Chicago isn't getting the NJPW crew. NYC I can understand but that wannabe Chicago Toronto, bullshit. I haven't been to a show in a few years but that would have got me out.

Dr. Showtime is waaayyyyy too positive about current ROH. There's some good stuff going on, but even on-its-deathbed ECW is better, simply because they had Tajiri on the show. Hell, you could argue that Rhino, Kid Kash, Jerry Lynn and EZ Money were all more entertaining at that point than anyone on the current day ROH roster.

To be fair, I think a promotion based around Rhino, Kid Kash, Jerry Lynn and EZ Money today would be better than the current ROH roster. 

I really don't think PPV for ROH is a big deal. They had PPV's before and though they were taped and not live, they weren't that big of a deal then either.

I still don't trust in ROH and I still don't think they have learned their lessons from the past. I can't see them suddenly being able to fix all of their problems that made JC go crazy and caused all kinds of awful TV shows.

On the wrestling/booking side, ROH has and will always have the same problems: A lack of angles, few wrestlers having any character, few wrestlers having any mic skills. I also hate to tell them but in a world where WWE is one of the top promotions for actual matches, there's not a lot of need for ROH.

• Like 1

I'm more interested in the cards they put together with the NJPW guys. Prob like a 2% chance NJPW would do this but it would be cool to see AJ win the IWGP title on 5/3 in Japan then Okada wins it back 2 weeks later in NYC.

What else? Maybe Shinsuke vs Elgin?

Pretty jealous that Chicago isn't getting the NJPW crew. NYC I can understand but that wannabe Chicago Toronto, bullshit. I haven't been to a show in a few years but that would have got me out.

Elgin is facing Okada in NYC. When I got my ticket I was really hoping it wouldn't be Elgin challenging for the IWGP belt. Oh well. I like Elgin in small doses but don't understand all of the hype. Still though, I hope it's a good match. Not even a big fan of AJ but I was hoping it would have been Okada vs Styles instead as that's the biggest match ROH could possibly book. But I'm glad that'll be a NJPW main event instead. I'd like to see Nakamura/Hero but I don't know if they still plan on using him. Come to think of it, I guess Elgin/Nak is highly possible in Canada.

Supercard was an alright show. But it didn't feel like a "super card" in the slightest. 

I think ROH's problem is that TV isn't compelling at all because there's nothing to build it to. They show most of the big show stuff on TV anyways, so what makes it so special? Heard Steen/Elgin was fantastic two weeks ago, and would have spent money to see it. But why does it matter when it's on TV two weeks later anyways. If ROH starts developing angles leading to matches people want to see, then this model will work much better. The HDNet TV stuff was fantastic because there were iPPV's every three months. The in-ring talent is fine right now, and the tag team division is good. People just like to bitch and moan that "Oh it's not CM Punk or Bryan Danielson"  Well no shit, and I think we'd have burned out on Punk and Danielson ROH matches a long, long time ago if they didn't move on to bigger and better things. Change is good people. Also, the Young Bucks kick ass.

People just like to bitch and moan that "Oh it's not CM Punk or Bryan Danielson"

I don't know who you're arguing against, because not one person in this topic has said that.

I'm arguing against anti-ROH in general. It just bothers me that people won't give the new stuff a chance, I guess. Sorry for the rant, but I hate seeing good wrestling get buried simply because it's not what it was.

I dunno why, but I can tolerate Elgin more in PWG than ROH.

Although I liked this one mini-promo he did with Truth:

Truth: "They say that God created all men equ*al."

Elgin: "*They were wrong."

• Like 1

Not going to get into that argument but I was referring more to never winning the big one.

If they do pull the trigger on Elgin this time, though, I hope Cole gets the belt back quickly.

Sorry, I didn't put that together. Makes more sense now.

Strangely, it seems that despite the multitude of bookers and committees ROH has had, the most consistent trait in their storytelling has been top faces unable to win the big one. Cide, Nigel, Tyler Black and now Elgin have lost seemingly endlessly leading up to a potential title change.