DVDVR Message Board

Your Favorite Unexplained Mysteries

(BP)

I seldom start threads because there are already so many that cover just about everything, but this seems like a topic a lot of people on here could be into. 

I stumbled across this thread on Reddit and got myself properly creeped out last night. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/7dq0nx/what_unsolved_mystery_gives_you_the_creepys/

So, I figured plenty of people here besides me grew up on shows like In Search Of or Unsolved Mysteries and had a favorite unexplained crime, disappearance, or paranormal phenomenon. It doesn't necessarily have to be all dark and gruesome in here, but obviously some of these would go in that direction, so I guess the thread should be forewarned as being NSFW. 

What have you got? 

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, OSJ said:

Dylatov Pass. Google it, pretty creepy.

There is not so shitty horror movie called Devil's Pass which uses the Dylatov Pass incident as its premise.

I worked as an investigator for a law firm that specialized in recovering stolen art, so I'm something of an amateur sleuth and the various unsolved murder cases like the Vilisca House Murders or the Black Dahlia and the various serial killer stuff like the Boston Strangler or Jack The Ripper doesn't really freak me out. 

There are times when you will find me in my den with Time / Life books strewn all over the place and me on my laptop googling the latest and greatest theories.

My dad's third cousin was Barney Hill and he wasn't all there after "the incident we do not speak of."  UFO / Alien Abduction stories have always freaked me out because of that, as does the Bermuda Triangle.

Funny how I am unfazed by tales of unsolved murders, but I find stories of mysterious disappearances to be very unsettling.

• Like 1

As a kid I had a really cool book of unsolved mysteries and phenomena. Roanoke was always the most fascinating. Jack The Ripper too. I just hate the idea of never having an ANSWER.

A Personal Story:

Last summer I was getting into wood work and was working on my balcony. I'm on the first floor, but there's a drop off in front of my balcony, to the "basement floor" that basically forms a castle moat. Living in Chicago means it's rarely a dull moment, and for some reason my street always has something going on like car accidents and the like.

One Sunday morning I was out sawing some boards and I saw a young Caucasian woman, about college aged stumbling down the side walk. She stopped and sat under the tree in front of my house where there's also a bus stop. She looked haggard, and I just passed it off as having a long Saturday night. I've been there. Trying to make your way back home and it's Sunny out and you just want to vomit and sleep. I get it. So I just kept working on my stuff while she sat out there for about 30 minutes. I thought maybe she was waiting for a bus but two went by and she didn't flinch.

After a while a large black SUV pulled up. Shiny and fresh looking, and two people got out. They were mocha skinned and tall. They looked like twins. They both had black slacks, white button ups, and a black blazer. At first I thought they were both men because both were bald, but one came around and I realized it was a woman. 

The male came over to the girl and started to get his arms under the girls arm pits to help her up. She protested meekly, but mostly looked sick and tired. Like she was drugged out. The Female Twin just kind of looked up and down the side walk as the man guided the young lady into the back seat of the SUV, and they drove off.

This event keeps me up sometimes. I wish I'd said something or asked questions. I don't know who those people were. I don't know what they did with that girl. The one side of me says they may have been with a rehab place and were picking her up or something. We have those around where I live. But the whole thing looked like fucking X-Files,  andthe other part of me, the part that's got the wild imagination that fills in gaps with the worst possible scenario, spends a lot of time thinking about what if I was the last person to see that girl.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Funny how I am unfazed by tales of unsolved murders, but I find stories of mysterious disappearances to be very unsettling.

Oh yeah. The disappearances really freak me out. I guess it’s because the best case(?) scenario, beyond the person just taking off and successfully starting a new life, is that there’s a killer out there that got away with it. The ones that really give me the willies are the cases where the person was acting abnormally and seemed to be trying to evade someone before their disappearance. It could’ve either been a mental episode that led to a suicide/accidental death or someone really was after them. 

My favorite local mystery is the murder of Albert Kunz, a Wisconsin priest whose throat was slit in his church.  Theories that have been floated include Satanists, that he was killed for investigating sexual abuse in the church, that he was killed for covering up/committing sexual abuse, and that he was nailing the female parishioners and a jealous husband got him.

Madison's cops are fairly shit at any police work that doesn't involve ticketing homeless people and college kids so we have a fairly high number of stone whodunnits, but most of them aren't as interesting as this one.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2018 at 5:40 PM, J.T. said:

And now Jae has succeeded in freaking me out.

I was actually afraid that after posting the story that you guys would have a super-logical explanation and I'd feel stupid.

Now I'm afraid I've revealed my location and a shiny black SUV is going to pull up when I'm sleeping.

51 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I was actually afraid that after posting the story that you guys would have a super-logical explanation and I'd feel stupid.

Now I'm afraid I've revealed my location and a shiny black SUV is going to pull up when I'm sleeping.

It has been nice knowing you.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2018 at 5:14 PM, J.T. said:

There are times when you will find me in my den with Time / Life books strewn all over the place and me on my laptop googling the latest and greatest theories.

I just found 20 volumes of the old Mysteries of the Unexplained series at a Savers for $1.00 each.  You're goddamn right they're pride-of-place on my bookshelf right this minute!

• Like 1

On 7/23/2018 at 7:17 PM, odessasteps said:

I blame being weirded out by these things on two main sources 

Don't forget this:

And that fucking Orson Welles narrated Nostradamus movie that they showed one day at my CATHOLIC GRADE SCHOOL SRSLY WHAT THE FUCK NUNS????????? and kept me up for weeks waiting for the post-nuke cannibal zombies and trying to design a workable model for a Road Warrior bike.

• Thanks 1

That Nostradamus doc was absolute nightmare fuel for me as a kid. I think I tried to watch some of it on YouTube a few years ago, and even though the WWIII stuff looked like a GI Joe commercial it still freaked me out.