DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2

At least there's not a new system coming out to re-buy the game for as well.  I don't even want to think how much I spent on the first game. 

I ALMOST dove back into this last weekend before remembering I had a free Fallout 3 copy that came with Fallout 4 that I had never played and decided to go with that. 

20 minutes ago, EVA said:

I love that the acronym for this expansion is D2F.

That is like the first joke you saw run across the chat section of the Twitch live stream.

Then they made a joke about the acronym for an Anthem 2 expansion named Battleground.

Yeah, I'm not buying that game no matter how good the grades are.  Fuck EA.

I am going to start a poll

Which will shame me more

Buying this Destiny 2 expansion pass (when it clearly will be $60 or more dollars)

Pre-ordering Anthem

I am the worst

Looks like Fosaken is $40 (same as TTK) and the Annual Pass is an extra $30.

What was weird about the stream is they specifically said they wanted to give people more information about how the Annual Pass was different from their previous expansion/update system before it went on sale....but then didn't really explain how it was different in any meaningful way. 

14 minutes ago, EVA said:

Looks like Fosaken is $40 (same as TTK) and the Annual Pass is an extra $30.

What was weird about the stream is they specifically said they wanted to give people more information about how the Annual Pass was different from their previous expansion/update system before it went on sale....but then didn't really explain how it was different in any meaningful way. 

AP is the obvious bargain since it is ten dollars cheaper than the DLC alone and should cover you for a while.

It's only a bargain if future content and Bungie policies don't infuriate you between now and then..... which is very possible.

As Chris mentioned though - at least with Take King I was allowed to trade in my old version of Destiny and get the new version for only $30

I doubt that will be the same thing here.

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

As Chris mentioned though - at least with Take King I was allowed to trade in my old version of Destiny and get the new version for only $30.

I would think that Bungie would want to avoid having all of those vanilla copies of D2 back on the resell market. 

15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

You would think that Bungie would want to avoid a lot of things yet here we are

So would Bioware / EA, but you are still considering the insanity of pre-ordering Anthem.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Just finished watching the Developer Preface before the live stream:

Hide contents
  • Expansion title is official.  Forsaken.
  • Feel of the game is a Western set in the Reef. 
  • New faction called The Scorn and apparently they have history with Cayde-6.
  • The story mission starts off with a prison break.  Cayde-6 has a Black Site in the Reef where he's been keeping the Scorn that he's been capturing all this time.
  • New LL appears to be 600~?  WHAT THE FUCK~??
  • Weapon system as we know it will be trashed.  You will apparently be able to fit any class of weapon in your Kinetic, Energy, and Power Slots.  So yeah, everyone will be a fucking Gunzerker with a shotgun in every slot.
  • Supers will get more Super.
  • New Mod and Masterwork system.
  • New game mode called Gambit is a combo of PvE and PvP.
  • New weapon type.   A FUCKING BOW AND ARROW~!!  This will obviously be the weapon that everyone will own and will break the game.  Goodbye, uniqueness of Voildwalker super.
  • New Raid will have more bosses than any other raid in the game.  Takes place in the Dreaming City aka the birthplace of the Awoken.  Lots of puzzle solving... yay..
  • The Dreaming City changes as players complete the raid.  The more raids you complete, the more access you get to other areas of the City.
  • Status system called Triumphs.  Similar to Grimoire, but you can get a Title added to your gamer tag for completing Triumphs.
  • Game has allegedly been getting playtested for about a year now.  We'll see about that.

A lot of this sounds interesting. I liked the trailer.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Prediction - they are going to charge me full price (ie: $60) for the ability to keep playing a game I have already spent close to $100 on

I'm glad its not that much because my feeling is much the same as yours since I have spent around the same amount so far. Normally I would wait a few weeks to pick it up, but it actually falls on my birthday. Seems almost wrong for me not to with my interest actually piqued.

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

Holy fuck the mechanics for the new raid are crazy.  It's like learning to play poker by buying into a pro tournament while being on the phone with your wife yelling at you on the other end while the tournament venue is beginning to fill up with salt water pumped in through gigantic holes in the ceiling.

Looks like some dev got pissed off that people were able to solo the Crota raid and decided to go back to the bad old days where raid mechanics were completely unforgiving.  There's no way you could beat that raid in one sitting and not hate your entire raid team by the end of it, and the feeling would probably be mutual.

I loved and hated the Vault of Glass because it was so damn hard at first and it definitely brought out the best and the worst out of you and your fellow Guardians.. 

Prison of Elders was a walk in the park compared to that shit,.  PoE was challenging, but at least it was fun to do. 

That's why I hate EPs.  Bungie brought in another Horde Mode style game mode and somehow managed to completely strip the enjoyment out of it.

I've not really enjoyed a raid/end game since PoE. From King's Fall onward they've just gotten more and more mechanic heavy. I'm fine with a challenge and team work but the final bosses for the last few raids have just gotten to the point where unless you have a perfect run you cant beat them.

Crota might be a bad example since you could cheese pretty much the entire raid and solo Crota himself fairly simply. Plus with the way melee and swords worked in Destiny 1 the higher light you were the more damage you did to him. Still, i enjoyed being able to knock out a 2 man of Crota in about 15-20 mins.

Skolas gets a lot of hate but it i enjoyed it mainly because it was 3 player instead of 6. We have 3 good players and never really struggled with it. But when we tried to carry a different person through it became a nightmare. I can only imagine the hell LFGs went through.

King's Fall was fine up until the Oryx fight. That was the start of Bungies decent into insisting the final raid boss was needlessly complicated.

Wraith of the Machines i only played 3 times and beat twice. It was a fun raid up until the last boss. Beating it twice was enough to know i didn't really want to go through it again even though the whole thing only took about an hour.

I've not beaten any of the Destiny 2 raids yet. I played the Leviathan the week it came out and we did the first encounter massively under levelled before deciding we needed to gear up. The second is the closest I've come to beat, played it twice and got to the final boss twice. But it's another example of an overly complicated final boss only this time it's got a crap tone of health on top. I've not tried the new one yet.

Vault of Glass is still my favourite raid. It was mechanic heavy but it didn't require a full team for every encounter. A good team could make up for a lack of players. The newer raids almost force mechanics on you that need a minimum of 4/5/6 people. VoG is still the perfect level of difficulty and mechanics for me.

I would play the crap out of Escalation Protocol if it was a self contained thing like Prison of Elders rather than a public event requiring complete luck to not only get a team of people but to get a decent team of people. I love hoard modes, another reason why i liked Skolas, but like you say, Bungie managed to screw it up. Just make it like they did the Prison. An easy version with matchmaking and a harder version where you need your own team.

I didn't realize they were upping the difficulty for Faction rallies this time around. The enemies seem stronger and the healing rater is significantly slowed down so you have to pick up the little healing auras that occasionally drop. Kind of annoying, but no the worst thing ever.

It’s a new thing we’re the renown stacks as you complete things.

Remown at 5 is no fucking joke and like and idiot I tried to complete the 5x lost sector on fucking Mercury

I was too dumb to realize what I was supposed at first. Went into Lost Sectors 3-4 times on EDZ w/o the right amount of renown. Finally did it correctly a few hours ago.

What happened to cause you to rage quit?

19 minutes ago, Eivion said:

What happened to cause you to rage quit?

I am only trying to do the 3 renown one mind you. Not the 5 renown.

• Attempt #1 - Don't pay attention and fast travel thus lose my renown
  • Attempt #2 - Miss jump - fall to death
  • Attempt #3 - Blow myself up destroying a cache (which also are pretty pointless at the moment)
  • Attempt #4 - Clear everything including boss. Get cache key. Before i can open chest, get one-shotted by a wire rifle motherfucker up on a ledge that I missed
  • Attempt #5 - Blow myself up
  • Attempt #6 - Almost blow myself up. Get sniped by a wire rifle motherfucker
  • Attempt #7 - Blow myself up - this time because a fucker jumped in front of my grenade launcher at the last second.

I will also point out that it took me to about Attempt #4 to realize that my health wasn't regenerating as normal

Yeah I can see that pissing you off. It took me my second or third try to realize the health issue. A sniper got me at least once. Others time the little bastards kept getting in the way of me and the boss.