DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2

I know I'll probably end up pre-ordering this. I hardly ever buy games on release anymore due to the huge amount that are just a broken mess and require massive day one patches. And the fact that most games drop a good 25%-50% in price a couple of months after release at the moment. I don't think I've pre-ordered anything since Arkham Knight.

To be fair though, despite its faults, I've definitely got my monies worth from the first Destiny. For about £125 over the first 3 years I've put in a scary amount of 1500 hours. More than I would have if I'd put that money into 4 different games.

I'll keep some optimism for now until the gameplay trailer is released next month. Bungie have (slowly) learned from their mistakes so here's hoping that continues.

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Oh yeah - that will totally make up for the $100 they expect me to spend on the game

I was thinking the same thing.  I'm going to need much better incentives than a plushie.

I honestly wouldn't be so down on the game as a whole if we didn't already know their base model was "make the base game unplayable after 3 months"

So the fact that I know from experience that I "need" the DLC - the fact that they are advertising that the extra content costs more than the last time is a non-starter with me

• Like 1

Yes. That part is just bullshit. And we've yet to hear if their way of updating the game has improved at all. I'm assuming they're using the same engine. So does that mean that fixes and things like that will take eons to come out? Will they continue to focus on PVE exploits rather than fixing actual bugs and things that are broken?

I'm not preordering anything. I felt like I got burned the last time I dropped $90 on the deluxe edition or whatever they want to call it. This time, I'll be content with waiting to see if the game is a good enough improvement over what Destiny is now. If it is, I'll pay the $60 to $40 for the base game and if it's still good, then I'll be happy to pay for DLC to keep the ride going. It just isn't worth it to me to drop a large preorder on a game and DLC content when I may be so turned off by the base game experience or even the first set of DLC content that I don't want to play any more. The $10 I'll save on DLC content just isn't worth it.

If I get Destiny 2, it's going to be digital. What can you do with a vanilla copy of the game other than let it install and let all of the digital DLC you purchased load into it. With Taken King, they should have eliminated my need for a physical disc if they saw I possessed all of the DLC already. Especially since TTK was the price of a full game once again.

Destiny is now 2.5 years old, it has been one of the most updated games I've ever played.  Bungie is constantly taking feedback from the community and trying to fine tune the game to give everyone the best experience possible.

The reason people are still playing is because bungie is constantly updating and fixing destiny.  The base game still plays and controls great.  Yeah, they have fixed updating lol.  Sure, they have made mistakes along the way, but there is no perfect game.

On 4/20/2017 at 3:17 PM, Craig H said:

Will they continue to focus on PVE exploits rather than fixing actual bugs and things that are broken?

Can you give me an example of something in the game currently?  Or is this loot cave?  Without using Google, can you name a PvE exploit,  bug, or something broken in destiny today?

The loot cave exploit wasnt very much fun, fwiw. They fixed that years ago by increasing engram drop rates and the glitch where purple turned to blue.  Now blues can turn into exotics.  

I was mad as fuck when the dark below come out too.  Destiny was at its most broken then.  I quit playing for months. I have shit on this game more than anybody*

Destiny today and destiny from the dark below are to entirely different experiences.

Bungie updated the game though and tried to fix it, I came back and kicked skolas in the dick, then oryx, now aksis

The only person that has posted in this thread that has consistently played it throughout this entire time is Basara.  

Also, I dont remember paying $60 for ttk, maybe like $45, and there was enough content there for an entire game.  Massive overhaul and really ttk fixed a lot of destiny's problems

*except maybe JT

• Like 2

The talk of the price point for the new game is interesting. As Ripper said, the DLC costs more in the US for Destiny 2 than it did for the original. We usual get screwed over for DLC prices in the UK with the whole £=$ thing for a lot of online store prices but the Destiny 2 season pass is actually £5 cheaper this time around than it was for The Dark Below/House of Wolves combo. Granted that's not a huge amount of money but it's still a step in the right direction. My only concern with it is they seem to be going back to the 2 small expansions spaced out throughout the year rather than one big yearly expansion with free mini events like they did with TTK and RoI. But it's all still too early to tell at this point. With no solid information out yet i'm not getting swept up in the hype or shitting on it just because it's Destiny. They seem to be the 2 camps most people are falling into at the moment.

As for being unplayable after the expansions are released. At this point? Absolutely, it's on it's 4th paid expansion and 2 free ones. There's so little left of the original game in there that you might as well use it as a coaster if you didn't keep up to date. But at the start? I picked up the base game 2 months after it was released and i didn't really start to play it heavily until after The Dark Below was released. The game didn't feel like i was missing anything or feel unplayable not having that first expansion. I guess casual players weren't really left behind until TTK was released and they completely changed the game.

It's all assumption for now. I'm guessing they've probably changed the game engine. They revealed before that it takes so long to make changes on the current engine they have to leave it running over night. I think the problem comes with the original Destiny being some sort of bastard child of old gen and current gen consoles. It's too big and ambitious to really do what they wanted on the PS3/360 but the PS4/XBone suffers because of it since it was released on all 4 consoles. I know a lot of people are angry about all the old loot and progress being left behind but i take that as a sign that Destiny 2 is going to be a true sequel rather than a numbered add on for the original game. That they are basically admitting they cant do what they wanted with the original and this will be closer to what they were aiming for.

I totally get why people are sceptical. The original failed to deliver in many peoples eyes and didn't really hit it's stride until a years worth of expansions were out. At the same time, as someone who is against the whole DLC thing for games and rarely buys them, i definitely got value for my money for the first 3 years of the game.

I don't remember when it happened since I'm old and forgetful but it was basically when they went all "yeah you can't do the dailys or weeklys" where the base game folks really got screwed 

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I don't remember when it happened since I'm old and forgetful but it was basically when they went all "yeah you can't do the dailys or weeklys" where the base game folks really got screwed 

I'm just guessing but i think it was The Taken King again. When i was still playing the base game and The Dark Below was out i was ale to do the dailies and weeklies as long as they weren't one of the missions from TDB. And since TDB only came with 4 (5?) missions and a strike it was still a high chance it would be an old mission. That would have limited you even more when House of Wolves was released since there was a higher chance of it being a new mission or strike you didn't own. But i don't think it was until TTK when they completely started to shut base game players out.

At a minimum it was Taken King because the introduction of a new enemy type changed a lot of the game that was unavailable for base game players.

If I wasn't lazy I would look through the other thread because I do remember complaints before TK came out.

You were more and more restricted as to what you could do with the base game as more expansions came out so the complaining probably got louder with each one. By the time HoW was out i think the dailies/weeklies/nightfalls were heavily in favour of DLC content stopping base game players from playing them but i don't think they were ever outright restricted at that point. If it happened to be a base game level or strike you could still do them. The issue becomes if you could actually beat them? If you are stuck at the base games light level of 30 trying to do a House of Wolves era nightfall at level 34 would be damn near impossible. I think at level 29 the enemies would be immune.

HoW introduced a bigger focus on the crucible too. If you didn't own the 2 expansions there was no end game PVP for you, you couldn't play Trials or the Iron Banner. Same with the raids of course, the only one you could play was Vault of Glass.

Weirdly you could play DLC content in patrols even if you didn't own them. I guess it wan't worth the effort to separate players in patrol activities into two groups. Before i owned The Dark Below, the Blades of Crota would still spawn for me in the cosmodrome on the base game. Taken enemies were spawning in patrols too even before The Taken King was out so i imagine base game players still got the Taken events in patrols. Again, there would be such a huge difference in light levels at that point though that all the higher end enemies would just show up as immune.

Like you, i'm too lazy to check the exact details but i think it was The Taken King that introduced 'classic' strikes and crucible playlists for those who didn't own the DLC separating them from the rest of the community. I think it was at that point that dailies and weeklies became unavailable because the rewards you got for completing them were all added in TTK.

On 4/25/2017 at 1:25 PM, RIPPA said:

aww... mis just ignored all my bitching :-P

I didn't forget, you just didn't bitch as much here as JT or myself.  We were pretty harsh on it.

That being said, I still haven't preordered it.  I probably will, just for beta access and make my decision after that.  

• Like 1

I will have already beaten Andromeda three times by the 

I mean I have at least a dozen games I could play

But you know what they say about a fool and his money

1 hour ago, misanthrope304 said:

How many feet tall is your pile of shame now?

Andromeda will barely be six months old

You are talking to the guy that played ME3 co-op for three years after release,

Well, me too but I was talking about Rippa.

Sorry for the clunky nature of my post

That is when they are revealing game play footage to the media (based on media types posting their invitations)

Destiny was a great game, I will for sure get Destiny 2 and the DLC.  I complained at times like everyone else but like was previously said, for all the complaining, I ended up putting a ton of hours into the game and got a ton of enjoyment out of it.  The low point for me was the House of Wolves update because I felt like it didn't give us true end game content.  I love raids and while Prison of Elders can be fun, it's not the same as a raid for me.  After that DLC came out was when I took the most time off of the game.  Craig, I think you just got fed up like everyone else at one point but left too early and didn't give it enough of a chance as they kept releasing new stuff and ended up missing out on the best version of the game.