DVDVR Message Board

MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA (Here be Spoilers)

RIPPA

The thing that really weirds me out is the lack of consensus on what the games strengths and weaknesses are. Some say the story and character are lacking, some say its a strength. Some say the gameplay is generic, some say its very strong.

Overall, I really enjoyed the trial, so I'm certainly in, its just a really weird review run. Only agreed upon thing is human and asari facial animations kinda suck, while Turian, Salarian, and Krogan are super on point.

12 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

The thing that really weirds me out is the lack of consensus on what the games strengths and weaknesses are. Some say the story and character are lacking, some say its a strength. Some say the gameplay is generic, some say its very strong.

I find myself being pretty dismissive of most of the negative criticism of story and characters because Bioware usually delivers on those fronts. 

I'm paying more attention to the troubling criticisms of the gameplay mechanics.  Sarah Ryder is the poster child for Frostbite's rather lacking renderings of humanoid facial expressions , but I won't pass judgment on this "no queue" combat system until I start playing.

I also honestly believe that every major game pundit has made the secret handshake deal that no game should be reviewed better than Breath of the Wild.

I dont think my Ryder looks nearly as bad as Sara Ryder, who looks like she came out of a game more than 5 years old. 

there's something i want to post about and how much JT will probably mark out over, but dont want to ruin the fun of his discovering it. Remind me later in the week. 

BTW - Bioware has said that they have taken down the APEX Leaderbeard in MP due to "issues" and they will put it back up when fixed

Whatever that means

33 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I dont think my Ryder looks nearly as bad as Sara Ryder, who looks like she came out of a game more than 5 years old. 

there's something i want to post about and how much JT will probably mark out over, but dont want to ruin the fun of his discovering it. Remind me later in the week. 

If there is one point I really didn't like it was the character creator.  It can't be that hard to make a character creator that lets you make a black dude with a haircut that a black dude would actually have.  Seriously, why is the NBA 2K series the only one that has more than big ass afro, dreadlocks, or cornrows that look like actual black hair?  I'd say a good 45-65% of all black dudes in this country have a fairly low cut with the best line up they can get.  You would never know that by playing videogames.  It really sucks that my Ryder has a nappy half-afro, which is kind of in style these days, but I'm 35 and would never get my haircut like that.

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Most likely they didn't want you to have dreads because they have a character with dreads

Not that that is a good reason

There are 3 "black" hair options, big afro, small afro, and a low cut that looks like it was cut by a blind 6 year old with no hands.  The worst part is my dad was running around looking like skinny Al Sharpton.  I'm black, most of my friends are black, most of them are pretty big time gamers, and yet, unless we are playing a basketball game none of us can create a character that looks anything like us.  It is pretty stupid for this to still be the case in 2017.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

There are 3 "black" hair options, big afro, small afro, and a low cut that looks like it was cut by a blind 6 year old with no hands.  .

This is not the fucking 1970's, so I do not need to look like mother fucking Link from The Mod Squad. 

How the fuck am I supposed to stuff all of that hair into my space helmet?  There are fucking regs, goddamnit..

If I were playing Mafia III and I am customizing Lincoln Clay then yeah, I want the biggest afro available.

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Now get the Blue Flu so you can stay up late and play with the night owls.

Too late.  I just got volun-told to come in tomorrow @ 0730 Hrs. to provide manning for some thread testing. 

I will be taking some "extended lunches" and then "going out to use the ATM" on Wednesday, and Thursday, though.

I'm disappointed to hear the reviews are so all over the place, but it really hasn't brought down my excitement all too much. The facial animation complaints are understandable though not deal breakers. Same with the character creator since I kind of expected it having not been too impressed with the previous incarnations in ME.

Boy, did i die a lot in my first attempt at multiplayer. 

Now, watching 1 guy try and finish this level solo vs a bunch of heels with all too familiar character classes. 

Spoiler

Fiend and Ascension

Edit: recommend doing the tutorial to help you level up quicker.

10 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Must....not... make.... joke....

I almost said "i could already hear DI J.T. In my head about staying in cover."

to be fair, i was level one and had not done the tutorial yet, whcih i why i encourage people to do it. I was dragged along by guys level 5 and 7 through wave six before we were overwhelmed by baddies. 

I also hadnt figured out how to swap weapons in multiplayer. (Hold X button FYI) 

So, some Multiplayer tips for those who haven't played it before.

No.1: It feels odd to start with Extraction, but it is pretty vital: Just because there's that highlighted spot with that 2 minute timer does not mean you need to spend the entire time in the extraction. This was true in Mass Effect 3. It is SIGNIFICANTLY more true in Andromeda. The enemies are fast. Every faction has someone who is quick to your position. And even more importantly, they are smart enough to flank you. If you hunker down, even as a 4 man unit, you are bringing every single enemy on the map straight to your doorstep. Going through that for 2 straight minutes, with the enemy throwing plenty of people shooting at you, is a problem. Keep running around the map. Keep the enemy spread out. Trust me on this. This is a good time for a pairs thing, as well. 

No.2: This is basic, but watch your recharge speed when doing your weapons loadout. Don't go packing a heavy sniper if you are a squishy biotic, cause you need those powers to succeed. 

No.3: Not possible with pugs, but commuication communication communication.