DVDVR Message Board

THE WWE BUYS TNA (Sorta...) DUMPSTER FIRE THREAD

RIPPA

so, assuming this deal is for real, i wonder what the limits are.

like, what is the newest event that WWE owns the footage rights to? the only thing of the last couple years to garner serious interest in TNA has been the Broken Matt Hardy stuff, so hopefully they grabbed the rights to the Final Deletion.

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

so, assuming this deal is for real, i wonder what the limits are.

like, what is the newest event that WWE owns the footage rights to? the only thing of the last couple years to garner serious interest in TNA has been the Broken Matt Hardy stuff, so hopefully they grabbed the rights to the Final Deletion.

Depending on the day it's finalized- I could see it being "everything before Bound for Glory 2016", to "everything from this round of tapings", to "everything until Corgan gets a chance to announce the rebranding (which could finish up this round of tapings and start in 2017 with a new name.")

• RIPPA locked this topic

I am going to close this up for now but I am sure I will have to start another thread soon enough.

I leave you with the update from the Observer that came out last night

The saga of TNA continued this past week with the big question left unanswered.

Exactly who funded the Bound for Glory PPV and tapings this week? TNA President Billy Corgan did media interviews during the week and couldn’t give a direct answer as to whether the tapings would take place, although pushed the idea that he expected they would. He said he was hoping to purchase the company, and without giving more details, said the process was complicated.

The funds to do the PPV live came in three days before the show, as that is when the people who needed the money up front for the satellite uplink to go live were contacted. PPV providers, knowing the issues, in some cases weren’t taking orders for the show until that point in time. But they were not sold the source of the funding. Talent was expecting to be addressed at Bound for Glory on 10/2, but that came and went without a word.

After it was made clear that talent wanted answers, Dixie Carter, and not Corgan, addressed them at the television tapings the next night. The meeting was described as not much, that there wasn’t much news because she said things were still ongoing. She did claim the rumor going around that they sold their tape library to WWE to fund the tapings was untrue, and that they still own their tape library. She said she wouldn’t let WWE buy the promotion, but said WWE was interested in doing so. John Gaburick last week visited with Kevin Dunn, who he has been close friends with for decades, and brought WWE back to the table so there were talks with them as late as this past week. The WWE deal would have been to purchase the tape library as they had no interest in buying anything else the promotion had. Even after the denial, there are a lot of reports going around that the deal will still end up happening or is at least still in play. Others in TNA have been vocal in denying the story, which was starting to get play. If it was accurate, it would at least answer the question as to where TNA got last minute funding to do this week’s television. Also, there is a track record here, as the company also had denied reports in the past about cancellations by Spike and Destination America which both ended up being accurate.

Talent that was late being paid was told that when payments are late it’s because the company is waiting for money that they are owed to come in. It’s a different excuse, as talent and production people have been given the runaround on money owed for years now.

They are scheduled to tape television through the end of November. This gives the company breathing room and also allows time for Corgan or Aroluxe, or another party, to attempt to buy the company. It should be noted that besides those already listed, The Fight Network, the company’s Canadian broadcast partner, at some point must have kicked in money because they also have a small ownership stake. The other broadcast partners had been contacted and did not buy into the promotion.

But this just is the latest in stalling out issues that have needed to be resolved for months, and really years. And even if there is a new owner, there is a skeleton office and virtually no money coming in, very little until January, when some overseas television rights fees payments are due. Corgan has ideas, including a name change. It’s been said that they are looking at a different location for taping as well, but the reason they’ve stayed at Disney all along is because it’s far less expensive than taping on the road, as the road tapings put the company heavily into red ink.

Carter claimed to talent that the tapings were always on, but did admit to scrambling leading up to the show.

Another issue, now that we are in October, is that the annual late January tour of the U.K. hasn’t been announced. That tour usually takes care of six weeks worth of television, and with larger and hotter crowds (although the crowds were way down this past year) it’s the one time where TNA comes across as a major league looking group. However, television ratings on Challenge declined greatly in the past year, and as noted, TNA had cut back to three shows last year and none of the three drew well.

If that isn’t bad enough, Hurricane Matthew is threatening Central Florida. Because of that, they have to move the 10/6 taping to a 1 p.m. start, which on a school day in the fall means it’s going to be pretty empty. The 10/7 taping will be canceled and on 10/8 they will tape shows at 1 p.m. and 7 p.m.

(emphasis mine)