DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

Plot hatched by littlefinger and oleanna.

Drunk knight used as patsy.

Tyrion and sansa framed.

Technically, I'd say the drunk knight was an accomplice, since he knew he was lying about the provenance of the necklace.

I still don't get how the poison stayed in the goblet when Joffrey knocked it down.

And really, why did they need to actually put the poison in the necklace?  Of course they needed the necklace to be there to help frame Sansa, but since the poison had to be gone once they found the necklace, all they had to do was pop a stone out (as Littlefinger essentially did, smashing it) and maybe put trace amounts of the poison on the necklace (did Maester CSI detect the poison on the necklace?  Or did he know it was the Strangler by examining Joffrey?).  That way Oleanna can have the poison all along so no sleight of hand is needed.

Anyone can demand trial by combat. Tyrion didn't because he was safer not fighting. But then Shae hurt him so much, adding to all the humiliation of the trial, he decided to lash out and deprive them of their show.

Anyone can demand trial by comment, but they have to either have someone ready to fight for them or be willing to scrap it out themselves. That puts Tyrion on a rough position because he can't fight, and there aren't too many people trying to stand up for him for killing the king. Who in their right mind would fight for Tyrion in that environment? Plenty of people know he is innocent, but those same people have to be watching that trial thinking, "Yo, these motherfuckers are doing this to a member of their family, what would these evil ass people do to me?"

I'd think there's the possibility of Bronn or Jamie stepping up for Tyrion. In fact, the first thing I thought was that Tyrion would pick Bronn and Tywin (or is it Tonmen?) would be forced by custom to pick the head of the King's Guard, Jamie. Then you get Jamie and Bronn fighting for real, mirroring the training they did together. Jamie surprises himself by getting the better of Bronn, but then throws the fight to save his brother's life.

That said, given that Tyrion said he knew he'd be found guilty, I don't know how he could possibly be safer not fighting.

Goddammit, I don't like the prospect of losing any combination of Jamie, Bronn and/or Tyrion.

Shit.  That sounds plausible though.  Is there anyone Tyrion might pick that would cause Tywin to throw it?  Anyond Tywin can't afford to lose?  I suppose if Tyrion picks Jaime Tywin might balk at the prospect of losing both male heirs at once.

Columbo vs. Tywin is $$$$$$.

"Boy, sir, this is quite a set up you got here.  I mean, jeez...the man who saved King's Landing.  You know it's a funny thing, though.  I saw that display out front with your sword and King Joffrey's...you know out in the lobby?  They sure do look in good shape for such a tough battle....Wellllll...I suppose those smiths can work wonders these days.  You know what?  I should let you get back to being Hand of the King...

Oh...just one more thing, though...Just for the paperwork. That woman, Shae.  You never saw her before the trial, right?  I'm asking because, well, for a man like you to hear a thing like that in public.  Well, it must have been quite a shock, sir.  But you didn't seem to react.  Everyone else gasped.  I heard that.  Even old man Tyrell.  But you looked like....well, you know...nevermind. 

You don't mind if i borrow this pen?"

• Like 3

This episode was full of badassery...

Oberyn Martell does not give a fuck, and he flaunts it in the most not giving a fuck way possible.  I loved the small council scene where he didn't stand when Tywin entered.  He didn't even think about standing, it never even occured to him that standing up was a possibility.  His choice of posture was also amazing.  The Red Viper of Dorne has lived up to each and every one of my expectations.

Do you Unsullied folks appreciate the low key awesomeness of Ser Davos Seaworth?  Stannis is not the most likeable guy, in the books he has a dark/dry sense of humor, but Davos is a fucking boss.  He is compeltely devoted to Stannis' cause and Liam Cunningham kills every scene he is in.  Stannis is sitting there not suffering fools, and Davos comes through in the clutch.  The only thing I didn't really like is that Stannis doesn't seem to have much of a voice on the show, he seems to just follow Melissandre and Davos.  Stannis in the books is basically the most hard headed, stubborn, inflexible person who will listen to Melissandre and Davos, but does it reluctantly.  The thing I think they miss the most with him is his motivation, he doesn't want to be king because he wants to rule, he wants to be king because he is the rightful king.  He is much more insulted that people deny his right as king than he would be happy to be king. He suffers no fools or usurpers. 

Tyrion should win every award for this episode.  That final speech when he just said, fuck this shit I'm not putting up with this shit any more, may be my favorite TV performance ever.  He hit a fucking walk off grand slam in game 7 of the World Series with that one.

Davos is the main reason I've stayed invested in Stannis' quest for the throne. I do think that the show is portraying a fully developed Stannis at this point as you are describing, but it took a long time to convey his character due to how little he emotes. He's the type of character that is easy to write in a novel but not so much without narration or anything on a TV show. But when they are before the Iron Bank and they ask him if he believes he is the rightful king and his response is "more than anything in the world" (paraphrasing here) that sums him up nicely. Still it's the quivering passion in Davos' voice, the fire in his eyes and the logic in his reasoning that makes that scene work. As usual.

Prince Oberyn is such a welcome addition and has been a highlight of this season for certain. I just hope he doesn't become too likable too quickly, because he is one of the most believably unhinged fuckers on the show. Especially when compared side by side in this episode with Ramsay, who seems to put so much thought into how he acts out his madness. Meanwhile Oberyn just naturally is a coiled viper ready to strike at any time.

Nothing else can be said about Dinklage's performance. After two episodes where I felt the writing was really lacking, they gave him the ammo in that scene to deliver something truly special. And lord did he ever.

Was I the only one who popped when he found out that Sami Zayn is the head of the Iron Bank?

FINALLY

EPISODE 6: I WISH I WAS THE MONSTER YOU THINK I AM

I just watched the fuckin thing and I don't remember anything other than Tyrion telling everyone he wish he could kill everyone.

And really, that's all that matters. So...short week this week.

Also I haven't read through what everyone else has said yet, but we're all on the same page that Bronn fucked Tyrion and brought Shae in, and will be Cersei's champion, while Jammer volunteers for Tyrion, right? I mean that's gotta be even money odds. They've telegraphed it all season.

Jesus that is a lose lose for everyone.  Why not throw Arya in there too and ruin the whole fucking show, Jae.

If that happens, it's your fault because you typed it and then it happened. 

Way to go, JAE!  HEY EVERYONE, JAE RUINED THE WHOLE SHOW!!! PASS IT ON TO THE BOOK NERD THREAD!!!

It's pretty much a lock in my book.

• Jamie is told this season that when Tyrion was on trial he asked for Big Bro.
  • Jamie feels useless starts sparring with Bronn - gets his ass handed to him repeatedly. This episode his face had scratches on it, you know that's Bronn wrecking him again.
  • Joffrey points out Jamie's has no real accomplishments to speak of outside of killing the man he swore to protect. Jamie is a jabronie in everyone else's eyes.
  • Last episode they remind us of Tyrion's last Trial By Combat(telegraphing the ending of this episode) but also reminding everyone how he and Bronn hooked up.
  • This episode Jamie basically sacrifices his needs for his brother, admitting, in my opinion, that his current life blows and he's willing to give it up

As Jamie pointed out in this episode, he did the right fucking thing killing that crazy king. And yet everyone gives him shit for it. So if he's going to be the guy people shit on for doing what's right, then what's it matter if he does it again for his little bro. And there's only two guys in Westeros that would even make that fight interesting. Obe, who is a dark horse, but he just found out his kin is fucking shit up with dragons and unsullied - so let the Lannisters eat each other. And Bronn, who Jamie has jobbed to all season. 

To me this is all setting up Jamie and Tyrion becoming Dem Lannister Boys. And of course people will hate them. Cersei will hate them. And Tywin, I'm pretty certain now after that bank loan scene, won't be around to fix it.

• Like 1

How much sense that makes is a problem though.  Like, Jaime's story as you describe it is a perfect and totally conventional setup followed by catharsis.  You're describing a Tolkien-esque fantasy redemption story where a fallen or battered hero reclaims his honor by doing the right thing.

But this is a show that doesn't tend to do that.  Characters who are set up as moving toward a big test or are given a really obvious quest for redemption usually don't even get to the test. 

They die randomly or get distracted. 

• Like 1

The reason I feel it works here is that Jamie doesn't reclaim any honor in anyone else's eyes. He's still fucked if he wins for Tyrion and they become Da KingslayerZ. Him doing this makes things WORSE.

To me the options are

Bronn for Tyrion vs. Jamie for Cersei. Jamie loses for brother, we keep Bronn and Tyrion.

Jamie for Tyrion vs. Bronn for Cersei. To me Jamie clearly wins here. BUT if he dies, then that either means Tyrion dies too(we can't lose both of them in one season, no way) OR Tywin would have to give mercy to Tyrion to keep the line going.

Jamie for Tyrion vs. Someone like The Mountain(he's been mentioned but I don't know where he is) for Cersei. No one will miss The Mountain and we keep Tyrion, Bronn, AND Jamie.

It's pretty much a lock in my book.

• Jamie is told this season that when Tyrion was on trial he asked for Big Bro.
  • Jamie feels useless starts sparring with Bronn - gets his ass handed to him repeatedly. This episode his face had scratches on it, you know that's Bronn wrecking him again.
  • Joffrey points out Jamie's has no real accomplishments to speak of outside of killing the man he swore to protect. Jamie is a jabronie in everyone else's eyes.
  • Last episode they remind us of Tyrion's last Trial By Combat(telegraphing the ending of this episode) but also reminding everyone how he and Bronn hooked up.
  • This episode Jamie basically sacrifices his needs for his brother, admitting, in my opinion, that his current life blows and he's willing to give it up

As Jamie pointed out in this episode, he did the right fucking thing killing that crazy king. And yet everyone gives him shit for it. So if he's going to be the guy people shit on for doing what's right, then what's it matter if he does it again for his little bro. And there's only two guys in Westeros that would even make that fight interesting. Obe, who is a dark horse, but he just found out his kin is fucking shit up with dragons and unsullied - so let the Lannisters eat each other. And Bronn, who Jamie has jobbed to all season. 

To me this is all setting up Jamie and Tyrion becoming Dem Lannister Boys. And of course people will hate them. Cersei will hate them. And Tywin, I'm pretty certain now after that bank loan scene, won't be around to fix it.

Does he really care about Dany?  The only relation they had was through Oberyn's sister who is now dead.  Or perhaps I am missing something.

Jamie for Tyrion vs. Someone like The Mountain(he's been mentioned but I don't know where he is) for Cersei. No one will miss The Mountain and we keep Tyrion, Bronn, AND Jamie.

This is the WWE booking.  Throw in a "monster" that doesn't matter:

HOLLA HOLLA PLAYA, TONIGHT YOU GO ONE ON ONE WITH KANE!!!!!!! Oh, no!!!!...aaaaaaand Kane loses.

Hmmm.  I wonder how Tywin sees a situation, where his only two sons are either banished fugitives or dead corpses.  Mercy means the Wall which means no line.  I have to imagine he interferes and Jaime never makes it to that fight.

Or Cersei interferes and he wakes up dead.  Goddamn it does seem inevitable though that  we're not going to have as many main characters two weeks from now as we have right now.   Back last year my fantasy booking for either Joffrey or Tywin had a tiny knife wielded by a very short man tearing apart their insides from below.  Then it was Jaime killing Tywin.  But they're both so damned fenced in right now and Jaime seems genuinely incapable of taking out Tywin like conscience-wise.

Fucking Jaime and his honor.  If he had really learned anything from Bronn there would be some dead people in that castle already...Pycelle dead of auto-erotic asphyxiation with a bottle of poison hidden in his desk and a letter from Dontos on his desk.

WIldcard: Varys.  Playing it like he's rolled on Tyrion and being so insignificant so far in all this.  The Spider has to have a plan for something and it's probably the opposite of what he's shown so far.

Does he have a surprising play here that gets rid of Tywin and leaves Jaime as Hand of the King and Tyrion alive?

Does he have a surprising play here that gets rid of Tywin and leaves Jaime as Hand of the King and Tyrion alive?

There's the way out. Tywin dies. They ask Tommen to name a new Hand and he says, "Uhhhh...I pardon Tyrion and name him Hand to the King. He's the only smart guy in the room. Isn't that right, Sir Pounce? Sir Pounce agrees! Hurrah!"

There's the way out. Tywin dies. They ask Tommen to name a new Hand and he says, "Uhhhh...I pardon Tyrion and name him Hand to the King. He's the only smart guy in the room. Isn't that right, Sir Pounce? Sir Pounce agrees! Hurrah!"

Given the way the year is going for FSW in terms of WWE, NHL, NFL, and EPL booking, this would continue a trend.

Does he really care about Dany?  The only relation they had was through Oberyn's sister who is now dead.  Or perhaps I am missing something.

spoiler-free clarification:  Yep.  Oberyn's sister was married to Dany's brother (Crown Prince Rhaegar, the older brother, who died before the events of the show started, not her other brother, who we saw suffer Death By Bling in season 1).  Dany was still in utero when Rhaegar died.  So yeah, Dany is technically Oberyn's sister-in-law, but they would not ever have met (remember Oberyn said back in episode 1 of this season that he is in the capital for the first time since his sister got married to Rhaegar a long long time ago).

Also.. it seemed to me like the actor playing Obe was really digging the news of Dany runnin' shit across the sea. It's a power play I'm sure he'd be more interested in than chilling with these shitty dick bag Lannisters, especially since all those bad things happened to his sister under Tywin's order.

Alright, call it mofos.

I call:  Tywin wakes up dead (thanks to Varys and Shae).  Jaime is named Hand of the King and as presiding judge sends Tyrion to the wall.

On his way to the wall, He, Varys, Shae, and Jaime all hook up and go to Braavos for a spinoff where they try to start a record company.  It's a terrible show, but it's on TBS so it lasts 9 seasons.

I stick with my initial claim and add:

Bronn makes his entrance with Shae Edge and Lita style.

Then they reenact the Live Sex Show Segment on the Iron Throne.