DVDVR Message Board

Good Will Wrestling: The DVDVR Edition

RIPPA

24 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

I'm not sure if I should be incredibly happy someone else was even higher then me on both Eddie and Regal, or be annoyed you took the high vote for me. I was this close to a Finlay/Regal/Guerrero/Tajiri high vote party.

I don't mean to get totally off the picks of the guys on the podcast, but what caused you to rate Finlay that high? When I think about him, I think 2006 first and parts of his 1996/97 second. I've seen a solid amount of the stuff in the UK with Princess Paula and stuff, and that was surprisingly more schticky and didn't really connect with me. 

Honestly, I probably should have ranked him about 10-15 spots too high for my personal taste. A big part of it is that I think late 2000's Smackdown/ECW was an incredibly good stretch of wrestling that gets lost by most, and Finlay was arguably the best guy in the company at that point. 

My list is shit though, so I'm the last one to ask.

This was another good listen. Will's reaction shows after PPVs are must listen for me so hopefully he continues doing them.  I also listen to Johnny's Titans pods and the PTBN PPV reviews. Most of them. Though they are into 2006 now and I might not want to relive that shit.

Between the Sheets is great, all of those pods over there are good but I only have so much time in the work day. lol

I think the Princess Paula stuff is a net positive. It's not workratey or hard hitting but he's very effective with it and it shows a lot of range. Plus the matches are generally very good, just different.

I think we'd be going nuts if someone was having those sorts of matches now.

I think the problem for me with the Paula stuff is me; I went in expecting something different than what I got. I poisoned my own well.

14 hours ago, MADCAP said:

I can't remember but was Paul Orndorff on anyone's list?

None of ours

He finished #161. 25 people voted for him (out of 151)

The argument about Lawler being number one is legit to me. As a kid, Lawler was just a goofy announcer in a crown until at about eleven or twelve, I saw "Andy Kaufman: I'm From Hollywood" on Comedy Central. Not only did it introduce me to maybe the best wrestling feud of all time ever, but it got me into watching as much Memphis as possible as soon as I could find any online years later. I've watched almost everything Memphis on Youtube or DM since then.

The point that Lawler can make anything work is complete truth. He can work a match around not throwing a punch, around limited bumping, around having to survive for ten minutes to collect five thousand dollars, or whatever, and all of it is compelling and exciting. He might be the best face I've ever seen in a world where Ricky Steamboat and Steve Grey and Rey Mysterio exist. Memphis is filled with lovably goofy angles, but he could make any of them deadly serious with one shift in tone. He's maybe the best bumper and puncher I've ever seen, or he's on the short list.

I get not liking Memphis, actually. I LOOOOOOOOVE all the Memphis I've seen, like if I die and go to heaven and I'm allowed to watch three or four types of wrestling for eternity, it will all be '70s/'80s WoS, '80s JCP, current-day NXT, and Memphis. It feels kinda like a niche, though, sort of like the best possible Attitude Era in the sense that the angles are often absurd and there is a lot of punching and brawling and gimmickry. So I get why people don't like it. Still, Lawler working compelling matches with The Miz and CM Punk and Terry Funk in the 2010s would, to me, make a case for him being at least on the list even if I didn't see or didn't enjoy Memphis. 

I'm going to piggyback on this, and just say that if anyone is particularly bored and wants to hear me and a Australian with well-developed but wildly different views on many things spend 15 hours breaking down our lists over 7 podcast episodes, it's out there on the same soundcloud feed under "Parejas Increibles." It took us a month to get through but I had a lot of fun doing it.